Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"It" - For the Gals.

Novella

Practically Family
Along with many of the others already mentioned:

laurenbacall5tn.jpg

Lauren Bacall is amazing.

JoyfulGirl

New in Town
Oh, I'm most definitely going to have to agree with Audrey and Katharine Hepburn as well as Grace Kelly. I mean, Grace Kelly's entrance in Rear Window is all you need as evidence that she had 'it'.

magneto

Practically Family
I was reading the fellows' "it" thread and was shocked, *shocked* to read someone there remarking that we're not watching enough silent movies.

Therefore I nominate the "it girl" of silent comedy, Mabel Normand
n076904.jpg

I admit this is a case where a carrier of "it" might seem to be failing to manifest "it" completely in a photograph, but once you have seen the Roscoe Arbuckle/Mabel Normand movies, you'll get it. And perhaps "it" too!

I agree with Lizzie re: Barbara Stanwyck!! (Lizzie, have you seen the restored Baby Face with the "bad parts" put back in?? I'm dying to see it!!)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I love Dita! I've seen the book but haven't read it/looked through it. How is it?

I'd have to go with Rita Hayworth and Katherine Hepburn. They definitely had "it." IMHO, Rita in "Gilda" is the personification of "it."

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'd have to go with Myrna Loy as well. Intelligent, witty, playful, classy, loyal, sexy, kind, beautiful and brave--she's everything I aspire to be as a woman. I'm so glad she's gotten the recognition she deserves in recent years. When I was in high school and I said she was my favorite movie star I was often met with a blank stare.

Runners up for me would be Garbo, especially in the 1920s, Louise Brooks and Ingrid Bergman. I've always loved Carole Lombard as well, such a great joie de vivre.

1133185941522_Nov09cp005.jpg

e9_3.jpg

garbo1.jpg

Louisebrooks.jpg

bergman_ingrid.jpg

lombard1.jpg

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I have the Bita-book and I love it (I even like the Fetish parts eventhough I´m not a big fetish of fetishs). She writes a bit about the history of burlesque, a bit about herself, a bit about styling... Plus so many beautifull photos!!!! It was worth waiting.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
magneto said:
I agree with Lizzie re: Barbara Stanwyck!! (Lizzie, have you seen the restored Baby Face with the "bad parts" put back in?? I'm dying to see it!!)

Haven't seen it yet myself, but I've been lobbying for a Pre-Code Festival at the theatre here, and if they finally give in, it's at the top of my list of features to get!

magneto

Practically Family
Feraud said:
No you are not. She doesn't do it for this fella.

(I'm reminded of the infamous Lenny Bruce remark in reaction to Mrs. Jack Kennedy being nominated "Most Beautful Woman" by Life mag or somesuch...)

Gloria Swanson certainly had "it" down to her size 2 1/2 shoes...
Swan130.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I actually owned a pair of Gloria Swanson's shoes from the '20s. Picked them up at the estate sale of a woman who was Swanson's housekeeper for years.

They were t-strap evening shoes, silver lame with Japanese floral designs. The TINIEST adult shoes I have ever seen. I ended up selling them to a rabid shoe collector, who keeps them on his bedroom mantlepiece.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
I actually owned a pair of Gloria Swanson's shoes from the '20s. Picked them up at the estate sale of a woman who was Swanson's housekeeper for years.

They were t-strap evening shoes, silver lame with Japanese floral designs. The TINIEST adult shoes I have ever seen. I ended up selling them to a rabid shoe collector, who keeps them on his bedroom mantlepiece.

Awesome! I'd heard about her tiny feet. I can't imagine! A 2-1/2! I wear a 6 (can wear a 5 in many shoes) and most people consider my foot small. I recently saw a pair of unissued WAC shoes in a size 4. Women sure had some tiny feet back in the day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner