Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It HURT to lose this auction !!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'd like to say something like "oh, there's always another one out there..."

Do I guess correctly? Cream flannels were in the sunken plan?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
"oh, there's always another one out there..."

I have a friend who is going to be selling one just like it. He's about the same build as Marc and found that the cut of that jacket made his a$$ look like a roadside billboard.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
nevermind1.jpg

"They paid HOW MUCH?"

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I have shared your frustration on occasions, the worst has got to be forgetting to bid and then finding it went for less that your highest bid, of course you still may have been out bid.

However, I don't regret not winning anything now which is the main thing.
Plenty more suits in the bay. Good luck with the hunt!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Howard Hughes said:
I can't believe the price! , you can pick these up for about £40/$60 in the UK. Add about £20/$30 postage, and hey-presto, half the price of this one.

Toodleoo
HH.

A point well made - there are loads of suits that go for a song over here. Three-pieces as well as two. I think the most I have paid for any is £80 and that was Gieves Tuxedo. I think a lot of sellers would be keen to send to the US but best to contact them before bidding.

No chance a 1930s beltback jacket in that size would go for a song in the UK if it was that well listed. The one in Marc's post is not 'just a blazer', it is a very special piece, indeed. And in flannel, an exceptionally rare one. Hence, the price.

There are loads of suits that go for a song in the US too. But rarely 1930s ones. In the UK it's even more pronounced as 1930s suits are exceptionally rare, especially in larger sizes.

I challenge anyone in the UK or US to find a "blazer" cut as well as the one Marc posted, of a similar era, in a similar fabric, similar features, and a similar size, for less money. That's not much over a hundred quid. Good luck! I fear you'll need to go bespoke, and that will run you a damn site beyond £100.

bk

benstephens

Practically Family
Wolfmanjack said:
...but what was the activity/place where one would wear it? Far too tweedy for the Ascot; trousers surely inappropriate for riding.

What hat would one wear with this?

That was my first initial thoughts. However, I am now quite convinced it is a very well made theatrical costume.

My main reasoning for this is B.J. Simmons & Co. (1941) Ltd, appear to have made a lot of costumes for theatres. It seems they were established in 1941 and continued at least until 1955. This would explain the outfit, as I think it has been made to represent either Edwardian or Victorian era. Below is a small extract from Whos who in theatre, A biographical Record of the contemporary stage) (http://www.archive.org/stream/whoswhointhethea008058mbp/whoswhointhethea008058mbp_djvu.txt) Very large document.

LONDON SCHOOL OF DRAMATIC ART .... facing page 279

MCDOUGALL LTD., J. D 247

PITMAN & SONS, LTD., SIR ISAAC . . facing inside back cover

SIMMONS & Co. (1941) LTD., B. J.

SOCIETY OF WEST-END THEATRE MANAGERS. . .facing page 23

"SPOTLIGHT" inside back cover

"STAGE/ 1 THE facing page 246

Kindest Regards

Ben

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
benstephens said:
That was my first initial thoughts. However, I am now quite convinced it is a very well made theatrical costume.

My main reasoning for this is B.J. Simmons & Co. (1941) Ltd, appear to have made a lot of costumes for theatres. It seems they were established in 1941 and continued at least until 1955. This would explain the outfit, as I think it has been made to represent either Edwardian or Victorian era. Below is a small extract from Whos who in theatre, A biographical Record of the contemporary stage) (http://www.archive.org/stream/whoswhointhethea008058mbp/whoswhointhethea008058mbp_djvu.txt) Very large document.

LONDON SCHOOL OF DRAMATIC ART .... facing page 279

MCDOUGALL LTD., J. D 247

PITMAN & SONS, LTD., SIR ISAAC . . facing inside back cover

SIMMONS & Co. (1941) LTD., B. J.

SOCIETY OF WEST-END THEATRE MANAGERS. . .facing page 23

"SPOTLIGHT" inside back cover

"STAGE/ 1 THE facing page 246

Kindest Regards

Ben

I believe you have it, Ben. Excellent detective work.

Congratulations,

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Howard Hughes said:
I can't believe the price! , you can pick these up for about £40/$60 in the UK. Add about £20/$30 postage, and hey-presto, half the price of this one.

Toodleoo
HH.

Howard Hughes, I've kept my eye on eBay UK for years and I've never, ever seen it offer a 1930s single-breasted blue blazer with a pleated, belted back. I'm not speaking of Norfolk or shooting jackets -- those are easy enough to find.

If you know of a UK source for vintage 1930s single-breasted blue blazers with pleated, belted backs, please let me know. Thanks!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Howard Hughes said:
you can pick these up for about £40/$60 in the UK. Add about £20/$30 postage, and hey-presto, half the price of this one.

In the immortal words of internet nerds everywhere.....

LURK MOAR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy