Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

it is a cowboy hat

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
great rodeo- that one up in cowtown always is. It's got all the events, and while the bulls may not buck as hard as some other rodeos I've been to, all the other events more than make up for it.

Sox

New in Town
cowboybash.jpg

This is my first attempt at bashing. It needs some refining but I think it looks better than it did. Now I am considering trimming the 4 " brim. Maybe down to 2.5 or 3". Any thoughts?

Canadave

One Too Many
Looks good. Any "before" pics?

I think it would look great with a smaller brim, but have no advice how to do so. I have a hunch others will!

Good luck,

David

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
looks mighty fine!
how hard would you say it was?
I thought mine was pretty easy, but i'd like to hear from someone else.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
yeah, the one up in pilesgrove, NJ. There's one kind of by Frederick, MD (the j bar W) but i don't like that one nearly as much.

Sox

New in Town
Here is the before picture.
beforebash.jpg

I didn't find it hard just took some time to get it even on both sides. But does need some fine tuning.

Sox

New in Town
Dinerman said:
well- this is why I love my friendly local neighborhood thrift shop. They have hats for less. It's funny though. All they know is stetson. Stetsons run for 15 bucks. all other hats run for 5. I got this rather ugly cowboy hat for 10, I got my pristine cavanagh for 5. Is there something wrong with that?
Only something wrong if you're the seller.;) Do you ever buy them at the Thrift Store and sell them on ebay?
Went to our local Thrift Store today but they said they just sold the only felt hat they had. I'll keep checking though.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
i'm thinking of doing that with my stetson milan straw. I posted it in classifieds here. Nobody wants it here, so maybe it goes on the bay. I've actually lucked out with most of the ones I've found at the thrift shop, in that they've fit.

Sox

New in Town
cowboyfinished.jpg

Well I took the plunge and cut the brim from 4" to 2 3/4". I like the ribbon that is on it but thinking about trying a wider one just to see what it will look like.
By the way, it was a Stetson cowboy hat made in Calgary, Canada around 1980.
Now it is........?? Whatever it is I like it better.

Sox

New in Town
Canadave said:
Looks good! How did you cut down the brim? Can we see some photos from different angles?

I used a cloth tape measure and chalkboard chalk to mark the brim. Then used upholstery sissors to cut it. After cutting the brim I used very fine automotive sandpaper to round the cut edge. You just have to cut slowly to ensure a nice continuous curve.
brimcut.jpg

Thinking about curving the back up and adding a wider ribbon.
Any thoughts on that?

Sox

New in Town
Thanks for the advice. All help is welcomed.
But I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "rake". Is it the way the crown slopes to the back?

Sox

New in Town
Canadave said:
Very good job! I salute you!

My only comment would be to try and add a bit of "rake".

I changed the crown to add the rake. It is only a slight one, but I like it better than before, thanks.
sidefinished.jpg

frontfinished.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats