items of clothing that make you cringe

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Metatron, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisT

ChrisT One of the Regulars

I like bowties!

2. Edward

Edward Bartender

Short trousers on any man of sixteen years or older. At any time, in any context.

I aspired to appear in that, until it all became about hipsters and hoorays in too-tight trousers six inches too shrt for them. Almost as vile as shorts. Almost.

3. A British summer staple for a man of a certain age and sporting persuasion.

[​IMG]

4. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Cricket jumpers on people who don't play cricket.

And bowties for day wear. Whilst brilliant for evening and dinner attire, its obnoxious daytime cousin is basically how to look like a complete stuffed shirt or a total prat in one easy gesture!

5. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

All you red pants haters best stay off Nantucket. :p

6. Agreed. Shorts are for children. Tell them to grow up and wear pants. I don't want to see hairy banged up legs. :doh:

Did someone already mention the baseball hat on anyone other than a baseball player?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  7. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Barefoot in open toed Jesus sandals. Worse, calf height wollen socks, worn with open toed Jesus sandals.The acronym FCUK. Frogmouth pockets on trousers. Polyester, although to be fair, the jury is still out on this one. Mixed with cotton it gives a durable and crease resistant look to shirts, and, mixed with wool, does something similar with trousers. This one might be at odds here: Contrasting laces on spectator shoes.

8. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

On men: pants worn below the natural waistline, especially if said man has a paunch.

On women: T-shirts with slogans announcing the wearer's availability.

I like bow ties fine, as long as they aren't big '70s ones that make the wearer look like a featured vocalist on the Lawrence Welk Show. However, they must be worn sincerely, never ironically.

I own and wear a baseball cap on occasions of great state, such as visits to Fenway Park,or pilgrimages to visit the World Series trophy. It's a regular regulation-colored team cap, however -- no novelty prints or colors should ever be worn.

9. Mrs. Merl

Mrs. Merl Practically Family

LizzieMaine - if this were Facebook, I would totally like that response. :) Could not agree more!

10. Agreed on that. I hate sandals on men. :eeek:

11. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe One Too Many

Do you mean utility kilts, also known as Ultilikilts?

[​IMG]

To me these go hand in hand with the dreaded TOE SHOE...

[​IMG]

12. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Agh! My eyes!

13. Miss Sis

Miss Sis One Too Many

I had no idea those *horrible* shoes existed, but now I do and I'm not sure they can be unseen! Vile!!!!

14. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg One of the Regulars

Oh, come on. A kilt can be quite wonderful on a brough (sp?) young lad! I will not ever accept anyone over the age of 3 wearing pajamas in public in any way, shape or form!!!

15. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Nothing says "Chairman of the Spunkwater Falls Board of Selectmen" like a short sleeved dress shirt.

16. They're sooooo 1975. My Dad used to wear short-sleeve dress shirts to work back then! And then add an ugly '70s tie and a pocket protector with the company logo to the ensemble. :eeek:

17. gear-guy

gear-guy Practically Family

I was a freshman in college in 75, we thought we were cool.

18. gear-guy

gear-guy Practically Family

Kids or adults wearing toboggans when it is hot, inside or out. Really again it's hot, they don't look cool.

19. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

There is a certain combo that seems to be popular on the sartorialist right now,
    massive jacket with loud print, skinny trousers and shoes with huge soles.
    It makes the wearer look like some kind of prehistoric bird...

20. Oh geez! http://youtu.be/Qn977W9HjWM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.