Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's time for a gentlemen's agreement.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
OK, I have a gentleman's agreement for you. You promise to stay away from my size 7 1/4 hat auctions and I'll promise to not send the Goons after you.

will_gun_mono_001.jpg

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Talk about insane prices, look at this one. It looks like someone took a liner out of Stetson Playboy fedora and put it in this Drivers cap and then they cobbled up the sweatband with two different ones. But hey, that makes worth at least a grand doesn't it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Stetson...m-7-1-8-/331176344341?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

fedoralover

The seller is trying to get info on the cap here. "I don't know the least about this thing ... but it'll cost you $1000". That is too funny! :D

facade

A-List Customer
Be it known

Ok 2nd agreement, to clarify tone and intent, we shall henceforth use the following fonts exclusively;

When one is serious we use Times New Roman.

When one is facetious, we use Comic Sans MS.

When one is angry we use IMPACT.

All who do not agree with this are clearly jackanapes and likely coxcombs as well.

Huertecilla

Banned
Why would a genuine hat lover moan about increasing prices??

1. It means that there is sóme revival of appreciation for well made hats.
2. This and the higher prices mean can be a stimulation for manufacturers to supply that maket with modern made ones.
3. It may lead to a revival of quality hats.

fedoracentric

Banned
Hat buyer....

THESE PRICES ARE OUTRAGEOUS AND I REFUSE TO SPEND THIS MUCH ARE PEOPLE CRAZY WHAT THE HECK IS GOING N IN THE WORLD IT IS JUST A DANG HAT!

Same guy selling a hat....

DO YOU KNOW HOW RARE THIS IS WHY IT IS WORTH TWICE THE PRICE I AM CHARGING YOU SO QUIT YOUR WHINING DON'T YOU KNOW NUTHIN ABOUT HATS?!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
- and pulled pork may be pulled right off of flying pigs. Sure sounds like The Promised Land! :D

Anyone brave enough to buck the system and raise pork in a traditional outdoors manner around here will tell you that suckling pigs and "not long after weening" pigs fly off all the time in the clutches of raptors, usually Bald Eagles when fishing gets tough due to the annual freeze up.

Pulled pork indeed!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
One has to view some issues regarding "we here" buying and selling to each other. Good example, a clean as all heck Stratoliner was offered here to the Lounge population, for $250.00 but no one was wanting it. The seller whom needs the money tossed that onto eBay. Auction last I looked was over the $300.00 mark and is more than not going to sell for closer to $350.00 or more. Size is a 7 1/2 which is not easy to find a clean as a whistle hat for that price, let alone for a Stratoliner.

So if you think about it, buying and selling to each other here has a great advantage to it. That should include anything that comes along "up" for grabs.

True, some of the eBay sellers have already skyjacked their BIN price tags so high, you need to be on Mt. Everest to see it...but go back and peek at those same sellers....and their listings. Those same hats have been watching the asphalt grow for more than a year. Some of those same hats are even celebrating their fourth anniversary on the eBay sellers store...so no one is buying from that seller often. We here know why.

However, some folks are loving the Hat scene enough to buy and pay a crazy high price. Are they getting ripped off? Perhaps not. If they love the hat and wear it, that is what matters to them the most. They just did not know maybe, just maybe, they could have found that same sort of hat for sale right here and paid a lot less for it.

I buy a lot of things online. I can honestly say if I want to buy something for myself or for my Husband, if I have the money I buy it. if I don't have the money, I sell some items to have that money. Not anything to hide that we like vintage hats and shoes, and the price tags so far, have been worth every penny.

As for many sellers on eBay. They can "play stupid" about their listings. Some ARE stupid about their listings. That is why the very first rule of buying anything online, here or on eBay....ask questions. A few times I actually made out like a bandit for buying hats for Daniel....the sellers knew nothing (really nothing at all) about what they had listed and I asked them to consider a BIN. They said yes, and in a minute or two, the hat was mine for the taking. I do the same for shoes and boots or ties or anything else.

No matter what comes or goes, we here have one real advantage over others out there as we know a ton of information and can see if anything for sale on eBay or any other place, is worth our time looking at or bidding. Education of vintage goods...right here on the Lounge! LOL!

facade

A-List Customer
Why would a genuine hat lover moan about increasing prices??

1. It means that there is sóme revival of appreciation for well made hats.
2. This and the higher prices mean can be a stimulation for manufacturers to supply that maket with modern made ones.
3. It may lead to a revival of quality hats.

1) I've no interest in a hat revival. I'm perfectly happy being different and the masses are perfectly happy in their ball caps. I'd like it to stay that way.

2) Increased interest would simply mean opening factories in Asia and more low quality hats produced. Neither of these appeal to me.

3) People today care about trends not quality. There will never ever come a period again where hat quality even approaches the past. There are simply way too many obstacles (the state of modern manufacturing, the anti-fur crusaders, the total lack of skilled craftsman, the lack of retail outlets for high priced hats, the disposable product mantra, individualism, etc.). The world has changed and there's no going back.

Since I don't work in the industry, the only thing higher prices means to me is that I can afford less hats.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
1) I've no interest in a hat revival. I'm perfectly happy being different and the masses are perfectly happy in their ball caps. I'd like it to stay that way.

2) Increased interest would simply mean opening factories in Asia and more low quality hats produced. Neither of these appeal to me.

3) People today care about trends not quality. There will never ever come a period again where hat quality even approaches the past. There are simply way too many obstacles (the state of modern manufacturing, the anti-fur crusaders, the total lack of skilled craftsman, the lack of retail outlets for high priced hats, the disposable product mantra, individualism, etc.). The world has changed and there's no going back.

Since I don't work in the industry, the only thing higher prices means to me is that I can afford less hats.

I can agree with all you have just stated. I also know if you have a hat collection, and if the growing trend is that some hats continue to soar in the price...you have a investment going on a positive side, working for you. But yes, none of us have an ability of putting a seed into the ground and watering up a money tree.....I sure wish I had one.

Huertecilla

Banned
Anyone brave enough to buck the system and raise pork in a traditional outdoors manner around here will tell you that suckling pigs and "not long after weening" pigs fly off all the time in the clutches of raptors, usually Bald Eagles when fishing gets tough due to the annual freeze up.

Pulled pork indeed!

We breed, kill, butcher etc. our own patanegra pork;

Foto550-D7JSRSOU.jpg

Foto550-QM6CEFW3.jpg

Foto550-TX7M7WW7.jpg

Foto550-OGLIAN7Y-1.jpg

Foto550-IRYNHCBS.jpg

Foto550-JJ36LVNA.jpg

Foto550-T37YGQZQ-1.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
OT: Readability wise, Times New Roman is a very good choise for printed text - but a very bad choise for screen-use. Instead one should use one of the fonts, especially designed and intended for screen-use, such as Verdana or Arial.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I can also say, the size of a hat seems to make a very big difference in the price of a hat. Peek at eBay...tons of clean and sharp hats selling all over for less than a hundred dollars....and size? 6 7/8 or a 6 3/4.....I have two such hats, beauties the both of them. One even came with a case similar to a "100" case but fancy by far inside compared to the Stetson 100 case. Price? $70.00 shipped. Hat? Open road style Mallory light felt, silverbelly with a hint of blue...not a single moth bit...clean as it can get inside and out. was sitting in the window of a general store down south for at least 60 or 70 years on display.

Huertecilla

Banned

Ok, that is your good right.
I see it a bit larger. It think a revival of quality hats would be a joy. Just like the revival of powerfull driver´s cars which I appreciate without being able to own one.

fedoracentric

Banned
Oh, yes. size truly matters. A pristine (name your model here) in 6-7/8 will sell for a pittance compared to the same model in the same shape in 7-1/2. Age, condition, rarity of model, all those matter, certainly, but size is even more important.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
OT: Readability wise, Times New Roman is a very good choise for printed text - but a very bad choise for screen-use. Instead one should use one of the fonts, especially designed and intended for screen-use, such as Verdana or Arial.

Even printed, Times/Times New Roman typeset is hard to read. I never use them.

Age, condition, rarity of model, all those matter, certainly, but size is even more important.
True.

Mr.Astor

Banned
What insanity!! Roman fonts,hat bubble, and every one buy's into this!!! A product is only worth what someone will pay for it! Period! I truly get dismayed about the arrogance and self indulgence this forum produces!! Life is fun,enjoy it,and don't worry about the guy next to you getting a better deal his $1600.00 is your 16 cents! Work hard, someday you may be the King! Life's short enjoy everyday and don't malign anyone along the way! That's all I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara