Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's time for a gentlemen's agreement.

facade

A-List Customer
Having just seen a Stetson 100 listed for $1600.00 and many more so-so hats routinely going in excess of $200.00, its time for the madness to stop. I propose we all cease buying, bidding and even thinking about hats for 6 months. Enough hats go unsold, and mayhap we'll see the prices head the other way. Let's get a handle on this hat bubble now!

Technically I can't argue with the prices from a value standpoint since junk new hats go for $200+, but I can still grouse.

shakeshead

Warning Label: This posting contains material of a facetious nature. As such it should be avoided by the elderly, pregnant women, and those for whom humor exists only on ice cream trucks.

Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
facade--I'm in favor of the idea, but I wonder how many Ebay bidders for those hats frequent the lounge? There could be hundreds of hat collectors who don't hang around here. Unless everyone participates, it wouldn't work. And even if most of us opted out for awhile, there would most likely be those who wouldn't, thinking "Good, more for me!"

....but it's worth grousing about.:)

facade

A-List Customer
facade--I'm in favor of the idea, but I wonder how many Ebay bidders for those hats frequent the lounge? There could be hundreds of hat collectors who don't hang around here. Unless everyone participates, it wouldn't work. And even if most of us opted out for awhile, there would most likely be those who wouldn't, thinking "Good, more for me!"

....but it's worth grousing about.:)

It is a pipe dream to be sure... but what we can do here is to start extoling the virtues of wool hats and how modern hats are so much better than vintage ones.

fedoracentric

Banned
I am 100% in favor of all you guys not bidding any more hats.

Well... come on. You knew someone was going to say it!
:roll:

I do understand your frustration, though.

I mean, $1,600 for a Stetson 100??? That guy is in la-la land! Sheese.
(Though with the caveat that if it was owned by someone really, really famous, maybe I could see that, at least.)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have to think as much as I do buy hats for my Husband, if a hat price tag is above a grand...that hat is going to have to be owned by George Washington and signed by all the fellows that signed the U.S. Constitution to justify my paying that kind of price tag.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Having just seen a Stetson 100 listed for $1600.00 and many more so-so hats routinely going in excess of $200.00, its time for the madness to stop. I propose we all cease buying, bidding and even thinking about hats for 6 months. Enough hats go unsold, and mayhap we'll see the prices head the other way. Let's get a handle on this hat bubble now!

Technically I can't argue with the prices from a value standpoint since junk new hats go for $200+, but I can still grouse.

shakeshead

In asking as many questions prior to actually purchasing any hats from sellers on eBay or other online sources, you may find as I have, that it is a very few sellers that have even heard of the Fedora Lounge. While the idea of doing anything at all to lower the price of what is out there for sale, would be a great idea...to see it happen, is more than likely not going to happen. However, that is why when anyone does post a hat for sale here on the classifieds, we know who is selling and for the most part, a deal is made that a hat is sold for a reasonable price. Plus, it keeps the hat "in the family".....

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I've forced myself to stop for awhile, unless one that I can't pass up appears. I have to much going on right now to really think about buying any more, both personal and job wise. I prefer to sell here but most of the time I just draw blanks, hence the eBay route.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

shakeshead

Damn Right!!!!!! I've seen some go on the bay for outrageous prices lately. Start the boycott!!!!!

You can share your thoughts with the seller directly a couple of threads down.

Let's keep in mind that these are not prices. They are the dreams that stuff is made of.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I think, that tightly regulated prices have been tried. In theory a fantastic system - but it didn't really seem to work that well, in spite of very tough enforcements. Maybe the North Korean eBay is the place to try looking for cheap hats(?) ;)

As stated in the opening post: "Technically I can't argue with the prices from a value standpoint since junk new hats go for $200+" - and we could in my country easily go up to $300+!

In other words, $300 for a fine vintage hat is not expensive. Yes, $1.600 is ridiculous - but is it a problem? Is one, two or three fantasists on eBay really a problem? Where did good sense of humor go? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats