Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J 23 by Lost Worlds

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
:D Beautifully done :eusa_clap
Wear it in good health... it will get better with age! Thanks for the photos, it is indeed a prize.

One of the Regulars
TheSnark said:
:D Beautifully done :eusa_clap
Wear it in good health... it will get better with age! Thanks for the photos, it is indeed a prize.

Thank you Sir!
I will post more later ( I have a 1200 miles rally next week)
Sadly it's not an Aero, otherwise I will get a lot more comments.lol
I bet you few months down the road when I get my first Aero the thread will be more active;)

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
1087 said:
I bet you few months down the road when I get my first Aero the thread will be more active;)

I can understand how people are put off by the website rhetoric, but it is a shame... after all, you're buying the jacket, not the attitude. I own 3 Aeros at the moment, and this thread actually inspired me to compare the Aeros to my LW Strada in terms of quality of materials and workmanship. I do NOT include authenticity as factor in comparison because the jackets I'm comparing are not reproductions of any historical models, and I'm not an expert on authenticity, anyway. But on the basis of materials and workmanship, the results of my side-by-side comparison will not make Aero fans happy.

For materials, LW just barely gets a narrow edge for the better quality zippers, though I admit this could be called a subjective preference (I like the larger gauge, easier-to-start Talon zippers). I'd be willing to call it even if pressed to defend the point, as the margin is narrow in any event. I have to say the quality of the hides is dead even... I can't really pick one over the other, though they are quite distinctly different.

For workmanship, on the other hand, LW is the clear winner, and it's not even a subjective choice; the difference is quantifiable. I can find small errors on all of my Aero jackets. These mistakes are quite small to be sure, and the locations make them unnoticable to all but close inspection, but they are undeniably present. I can't find ANY mistake on the Strada, and I have looked closely. Not a single visible mistake... and the LW hide is stiffer and more more difficult work. LW also has a few standard features like leather hems along the lower inside and end of the sleeves that Aero really should have adopted as standard, but currently does only if you ask for it... for an additional charge. I will soon have additional LW jackets to include in the comparison, so I may have to post an update, but from the evidence directly available to me at the moment, LW is clearly the superior product.

One of the Regulars
TheSnark said:
I can understand how people are put off by the website rhetoric, but it is a shame... after all, you're buying the jacket, not the attitude. I own 3 Aeros at the moment, and this thread actually inspired me to compare the Aeros to my LW Strada in terms of quality of materials and workmanship. I do NOT include authenticity as factor in comparison because the jackets I'm comparing are not reproductions of any historical models, and I'm not an expert on authenticity, anyway. But on the basis of materials and workmanship, the results of my side-by-side comparison will not make Aero fans happy.

For materials, LW just barely gets a narrow edge for the better quality zippers, though I admit this could be called a subjective preference (I like the larger gauge, easier-to-start Talon zippers). I'd be willing to call it even if pressed to defend the point, as the margin is narrow in any event. I have to say the quality of the hides is dead even... I can't really pick one over the other, though they are quite distinctly different.

For workmanship, on the other hand, LW is the clear winner, and it's not even a subjective choice; the difference is quantifiable. I can find small errors on all of my Aero jackets. These mistakes are quite small to be sure, and the locations make them unnoticable to all but close inspection, but they are undeniably present. I can't find ANY mistake on the Strada, and I have looked closely. Not a single visible mistake... and the LW hide is stiffer and more more difficult work. LW also has a few standard features like leather hems along the lower inside and end of the sleeves that Aero really should have adopted as standard, but currently does only if you ask for it... for an additional charge. I will soon have additional LW jackets to include in the comparison, so I may have to post an update, but from the evidence directly available to me at the moment, LW is clearly the superior product.

I really appreciate your report!
I can't make a comparison yet until I get the Aero.
Problem is that I'm undecided on what model and modifications to be made.
The hides swatches samples are nice ( not as thick as LW) but I like the brown and the cordovan.
Like i said in a previous post if the Aero match the LW I will be immensely happy.
I can give you a deeper report of the J 23 after I'm back from my trip the week after next ( God permits).
Many thanks for all your help and compliments. I really mean it!

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Have a wonderful ride! (And don't crash-test the new jacket, LOL). Keep us posted... I'd love to see some photos of the jacket taken on the trip. I keep promising myself that I'm going to ride the Pacific Coast Hwy all the way from SD to Seattle one summer, but I just haven't made it happen yet. <sigh> Maybe next year, in the autumn...

Aero does make great jackets, and my brown HG-5 is definitely one of my favorites. The brown, in particular, is a wonderful rich color, and shows off beautiful grain after a short breakin. The mistakes I can find on these jackets are all nit-picks by any standard.

Again, enjoy and ride safe!

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
jon z said:
Beautiful 1087, the jacket that is. But then, as you know, I field that opinion with bias ;)

Man those Buco repros really are fabulous. On looking at the jackets, the hide quality and thickness, I wonder how the originals (when new) actually compare. I suspect the LW repros are a lot more jacket in every aspect from hide thickness to construction. Does anyone know if this is actually the case?

One of the Regulars
Bonneville said:
Man those Buco repros really are fabulous. On looking at the jackets, the hide quality and thickness, I wonder how the originals (when new) actually compare. I suspect the LW repros are a lot more jacket in every aspect from hide thickness to construction. Does anyone know if this is actually the case?

Hello Bonneville;
You are correct the Lost Worlds version are a notch or two better than the original Buco's in both fronts, the hidesare thicker and the workmanship is simple fantastic!
PS: two Bonneville riders here, I like that!:eusa_clap

jon z

One of the Regulars
Bonneville said:
I have both, an original Buco & the LW's repro. It is difficult to be objective with regard to hide comparison. The Buco is after all some 55 yrs old. Who knows what the hide of the LW's will look like after ageing for this long. I wont be around to know that's for sure.

With regard weight the LW's has the edge but only just. The Buco is a heavy jacket. Heavier than most of the period. Yes, I have & have had others with which to compare.

The construction of both are exemplary. Where they differ is in the motivation for producing the product.

Buco's were made as a high quality jacket, better than the competition but nevertheless they still had to be a commercially viable product so inevitably compromises were made. They were made in relatively high numbers by a factory full of machinists working to produce as fast as possible so that jackets were affordable whilst at the same time keeping costs low to maximise profits. It was not economically practical to ensure that every stitch on every jacket was positioned exactly.

Fast forward 50 yrs or so & LW's have a product aimed at customers not around in Buco's time. A niche market of discerning clientele disillusioned with the throwaway society of today, fed up with paying over the odds for cheaply made, over priced designer labelled goods that will last the few weeks until the next must-have is available. LW's prices are high but for the cost the customer acquires a garment made by one of a handful of perfectionists using the best quality materials to the highest standards of production quality that will last more than a lifetime. For instance, if one compares the stitching that fixes the D-Pocket to the body of both jackets the Buco has the distance of the stitching from the edge of D wandering whereas the LW's is completely consistent. This is typical of how the two differ. The original is of high quality with acceptable manufacturing variances. The repro is made without concession to these variances & are priced relatively. LW's are the better product of the two although they will never be the original of course.

One of the Regulars
jon z said:
Hi 1087.

Now I'm really gonna shatter your illusions. I don't own a motorcycle & only have my jacket, along with several others, as street wear :eek:

If I were ever fortunate enough to be able to buy one as a play thing it would have to be a custom Harley bobber.
John

Hello John;
I'm sorry that I missed your answer!
It's all good at least you have the jackets!lol

One of the Regulars
Cambria 2010

I had an excellent time at our annual rally in Cambria.
It was the 8th consecutive year an a special occasion for my J 23 baptism.
I did around 1200 miles for the entire event and I really like the feeling and protection the J23 provided during the entire event.
Still is far away to be broken in, but its absolutely gorgeous.
I got quite a few compliments from my friends and all agree that is an exceptional jacket.
Here is the pic of me and the J23 in action.

cmbria2010-gungadin.jpg

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the photo, 1087, the jacket looks even better in it's natural habitat. Glad to hear you had a great (and safe) time. Nice bike, too!

And btw, I've wanted to ask you about the "non-curly" mouton collar for your J23. Can you compare the feel of this to the standard "curly" variety? I've been toying with the notion of a LW Trojan ever since you posted pics of your J23, and I like the look of your collar. I agree it will look even better after the color fades out a bit.

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
1087.. beautiful jacket and beautiful bike! Best of luck with them both.

I for one would choose my Aero over my LW any day of the week. I think Aero's hh is the best you can find, anywhere. Sure it's not as thick as LW, but does it really have to be? It's just such a nicer leather, in my opinion. Also the zipper tape on my LW is coming apart.. pretty disappointing. And dealing with Stuart for me was not a good experience and he'll never get my business again.

Anyway, this stuff can be argued til the end of time (it's much like posting "What's the best motorcycle oil" on any cycle forum!).

Ride safe 1087.. beauty of a jacket.

Tommer

One of the Regulars
TheSnark said:
Thanks for the photo, 1087, the jacket looks even better in it's natural habitat. Glad to hear you had a great (and safe) time. Nice bike, too!

And btw, I've wanted to ask you about the "non-curly" mouton collar for your J23. Can you compare the feel of this to the standard "curly" variety? I've been toying with the notion of a LW Trojan ever since you posted pics of your J23, and I like the look of your collar. I agree it will look even better after the color fades out a bit.

Thanks for the compliment!
The non curly mouton collar was also used in the original Buco's, it's just a matter o what appeals more to you .
In my particular case having the chance to see original Buco's with the aforementioned collar I like the fade fact a lot, because IMHO blends with the patina that the jacket will develop during the upcoming years.

One of the Regulars
Tommer45 said:
1087.. beautiful jacket and beautiful bike! Best of luck with them both.

I for one would choose my Aero over my LW any day of the week. I think Aero's hh is the best you can find, anywhere. Sure it's not as thick as LW, but does it really have to be? It's just such a nicer leather, in my opinion. Also the zipper tape on my LW is coming apart.. pretty disappointing. And dealing with Stuart for me was not a good experience and he'll never get my business again.

Anyway, this stuff can be argued til the end of time (it's much like posting "What's the best motorcycle oil" on any cycle forum!).

Ride safe 1087.. beauty of a jacket.

Tommer

Thank you Tommer!

mihai

A-List Customer
@1087 - I apologize in case I hijacked your thread. If it's the case I kindly ask an administrator/moderator to move the post to another thread.

Light ain't right! - my favorite saying
I recently purchased a Buco J23 jacket in brown FQHH, size 50, for a bit more than 500 usd. As a fit is ok and it allows me just to layer something underneath. I think in size 48 I would get a more vintage fit. According to the previous owner it has approx 10 years. It's not scratched, abused, faded, dried, dirty and it appears it was well taken care of/gently used. it weights around 9 lbs. I must say that I was impressed with the quality of this jacket - tough, perfectly built, heavy, top materials. It gives you the impression that you have to try really hard(crawl on asphalt until you get tired) to rip or perforate it. I have a few cowhide biker jackets (not bad ones like X-Element Speedster brown...) but this one offers you more of a jacket if I could say so. It's like comparing a pretty good large production car with an exclusive one like Bugatti.
I'd say that I will order for sure some LW jackets in the future, I am quite impressed by them(they exhibit the qualities I'm looking for). Regarding the communication part, I had a conversation with Stewart on the phone, a while ago, and he had a very positive attitude, explaining patiently how to make different choices(size, model...) and about the ordering process. Hope the experience will stay the same after an eventual order.

I would say that for what it offers - superb quality and lifetime durability it worths the price. I see it as a lifetime investment.

The measurements of this jacket are:
Rear collar seam to bottom of jacket is 25 1/2 inches.
Shoulder seam to end of sleeve cuff is 25 1/2 inches.
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam is 21 1/2 inches.
Pit to pit is 24 inches.
Waist of jacket is 22 inches.

CeeDee

New in Town
There's been a lot of talk on this thread of Aero vs. LW. It interests me a lot because I've been looking a lot at Insurrection's Aero J106 D-pocket as well as LW's J-23 replica jacket. It does seem that Insurrection's Aero J106 is the slimmer jacket with the more vintage-like fit, but LW has more historically accurate J-23 details, such as the full action back. What are some thoughts here? I've been in contact with Insurrection and they linked me to the photos that are posted here of the J106. I'm going to put up some photos that I've found here on the site of the LW J-23 for comparison. If anyone has ANY objection to the photos that I've posted, I'll take them down immediately. Obviously both are incredible jackets, both are available with NOS Talon zippers, but which jacket captures that 1950s D-pocket look the best? Also, what do people think of Insurrection's J106 back style compared to the more historically accurate J-23 replica back? Thanks in advance for any and all input!

LW J-23

dsc00818tb5.jpg

dsc00829yp5.jpg

Insurrection's Aero J106

J106Front.jpg

J106Back-1.jpg

LW J-23 Back

cmbria2010-gungadin.jpg

Insurrection's Aero J106 Back

BackofJ106.jpg

And this is a picture that Insurrection sent me a link to. This, to me, just oozes that 1950s D-pocket look.

Wade1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner