Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J 23 by Lost Worlds

Jwag

One of the Regulars
The jacket looks great! I know my LW A2 is really well made. Not quite as heavy as some i'm sure (mine is 3.5 Oz. I think). My experience with LW was positive. I told Stuart what I wanted, and he delivered. He sounded friendly...maybe a bit in a hurry, but friendly. I find his website entertaining to say the least. And I got my jacket in 3 days. Can't beat that.

Oh, I'm just kid din'. Stuart is a fun guy actually. I get a kick out of guys like him. I never had a problem, just an interesting "dialog" when discussing jackets :)

One of the Regulars
There's been a lot of talk on this thread of Aero vs. LW. It interests me a lot because I've been looking a lot at Insurrection's Aero J106 D-pocket as well as LW's J-23 replica jacket. It does seem that Insurrection's Aero J106 is the slimmer jacket with the more vintage-like fit, but LW has more historically accurate J-23 details, such as the full action back. What are some thoughts here? I've been in contact with Insurrection and they linked me to the photos that are posted here of the J106. I'm going to put up some photos that I've found here on the site of the LW J-23 for comparison. If anyone has ANY objection to the photos that I've posted, I'll take them down immediately. Obviously both are incredible jackets, both are available with NOS Talon zippers, but which jacket captures that 1950s D-pocket look the best? Also, what do people think of Insurrection's J106 back style compared to the more historically accurate J-23 replica back? Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Hello Ceedee;
There is a very important point to consider here.
The J23 replica by LW is a replica of the original J 23 by Buco, which is a very trim jacket.
So the fitting of the LW J23 is the same as the original J23.
In Wade's case ( Insurrection) he commissioned Will @ Aero to modified their J23 replica tailored to his own specs, which like you mentioned above it has a modified action back and is even more trimmer than the J 23 by Lost Worlds.
The last picture that you posted is a J 24 replica by Insurrection, not a J 23, did you happen to see the LW J 24 replica?
I will post a pic here for your evaluation.

Bucoj244.jpg

CeeDee

New in Town
There's been a lot of talk on this thread of Aero vs. LW. It interests me a lot because I've been looking a lot at Insurrection's Aero J106 D-pocket as well as LW's J-23 replica jacket. It does seem that Insurrection's Aero J106 is the slimmer jacket with the more vintage-like fit, but LW has more historically accurate J-23 details, such as the full action back. What are some thoughts here? I've been in contact with Insurrection and they linked me to the photos that are posted here of the J106. I'm going to put up some photos that I've found here on the site of the LW J-23 for comparison. If anyone has ANY objection to the photos that I've posted, I'll take them down immediately. Obviously both are incredible jackets, both are available with NOS Talon zippers, but which jacket captures that 1950s D-pocket look the best? Also, what do people think of Insurrection's J106 back style compared to the more historically accurate J-23 replica back? Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Hello Ceedee;
There is a very important point to consider here.
The J23 replica by LW is a replica of the original J 23 by Buco, which is a very trim jacket.
So the fitting of the LW J23 is the same as the original J23.
In Wade's case ( Insurrection) he commissioned Will @ Aero to modified their J23 replica tailored to his own specs, which like you mentioned above it has a modified action back and is even more trimmer than the J 23 by Lost Worlds.
The last picture that you posted is a J 24 replica by Insurrection, not a J 23, did you happen to see the LW J 24 replica?
I will post a pic here for your evaluation.

Bucoj244.jpg

Beautiful jacket... Both are simply amazing, and both Lost Worlds and Insurrection, through Aero, put out an awesome D-pocket jacket. It's so difficult to decide between two absolutely amazing companies.

I do have a question however--Aren't the J-23 and the J-24 the same jacket with one difference--the J-24 has two map pockets on the back of the jacket? I tried on an original J-23 size 44 in Insurrection's collection and an original J-24 size 44 in Insurrection's collection. They fit exactly the same. The only difference that I could discern was the extra map pocket on the J-24.

Faster

New in Town
Both are very, very nice. It's a tough one, but for me, I'd go with the back that has the gussets only behind the shoulders.

mihai

A-List Customer
@CeeDee thanks for the comparison, it was very helpful to see both side-to-side. For me LW has an edge, looks overall tougher. The leather is obvious thicker, you can see this from the folds in certain areas. The extra $$ are worth I'd say. Regarding the fit, I like Insurrection's Aero J106 D-pocket fit (would suit me well as I have the slimmer waist compared to the shoulders) but given that the LW is also more accurate I'd go with it.
In general I like vintage stuff, I really don't care much if their functionality, design, comfort are somehow outdated and may seem funny. One example, other than jackets, is the repro denim, that I use to wear even if it looks strange than mainstream(anti-fit, tapering on some models, boxy upper, suspender buttons, cinch at the back). The fact that are so different to what I was used to see everyday and have a history behind makes them appealing. When I say vintage I am mostly referring to Americana, that is very fascinating to me (even if I am from Europe).

Could someone please post some measurements of LW Buco J23 in sizes 46 and 48? (pit-to-pit, shoulders at epaulets level, collar-base to bottom length) and maybe their size to have an indication how they fit?

@ButteMT61 - completely agree with you about Stewart, you expressed it in the best way

mrc

Familiar Face
The Insurrection D-pocket is so SICK! The way they do the back, just like they do the Aero cafe' racers, is such a nice touch. It reminds me of a vintage (1940s, 1950s) Grais or Indian Ranger jacket. I'd venture to say that Insurrection has outdone what Buco put out as the cream-of-the-crop D-pocket (for the past 60+ years mind you) and made it even better. Also, the Horween horsehide used in the Insurrection J106 is far superior to what Buco used back in the day!

One of the Regulars
The Insurrection D-pocket is so SICK! The way they do the back, just like they do the Aero cafe' racers, is such a nice touch. It reminds me of a vintage (1940s, 1950s) Grais or Indian Ranger jacket. I'd venture to say that Insurrection has outdone what Buco put out as the cream-of-the-crop D-pocket (for the past 60+ years mind you) and made it even better. Also, the Horween horsehide used in the Insurrection J106 is far superior to what Buco used back in the day!

Yeah the LW J23/24 outdone what Buco used back in the day and the HH is far better too.
Better than the Horween? well... it's in the eye of the beholder.
It will be nice if you can put side by side the Insurrection versus the LW, however we know what you will say...;)

Arnold

One of the Regulars
Hope it's ok to resurrect this old thread for an inquiry - did anyone ever have, or does still have, Lost Worlds' J23 made of Sage Sateen Cotton? It sold out recently and I missed out. Would be willing to buy sizes 38 and above, but am also curious to just hear about your experience with it if there are no plans to sell. (Must be a case of "vicarious satisfaction"...)

Arnold

One of the Regulars
So I'm getting one of these from Stuart made of cotton (see his denim J23 page), and I'm a bit concerned about fit. A) I'm 5'9" with a lean, athletic/ V-shaped, shortish torso and shortish arms, so most "averaged" stuff is either tight on my chest or loose elsewhere and too long on the arms. B) I'm ordering from overseas so would like to avoid exchange for size.

How does the Lost Worlds J23 compare to other motorcycle jackets? Is it averaged for those with a more "mature" shape/ a bit of belly, which is always a suspicion of mine the higher the price tag goes?
(Because let's face it, someone under 30 is less likely to buy expensive stuff, while someone beyond 30 is less likely to maintain a lean waist for long. I'm quite the exception with my peers.)

My only diagonal zipper MC jacket at the moment, the Schott 125, narrows by about 2.8" from the armpits to the bottom seam (laid flat) - but only when the side gussets are laced tightly, i.e. when they touch, and I think it's still not quite enough. I do think most of the weight of these MC jackets should be worn on the hip, not the shoulders, to get the best movement in the shoulders (even in a riding position where the arms' position eases the inherent tightness on the chest - I do know about that).

Second question: since in theory I'd need either a 38 with a size 40 chest, or a 40 with size 38 sleeves and size 36 waist, would those in the know suggest going a size larger than expected and seek out a good local tailor to adjust it? Is that possible with (textile) Lost Worlds stuff without losing too much of the original quality? I suppose hardly so with the sleeves, because of the zipper...

If all else fails, my thinking is that at least textile jackets are easier to make fit snugly on the hip with their belt than horsehide ones.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Size 38 Lost Worlds J-23 in leather measures as follows
Chest 54cm Waist 49cm Back length 64.5cm Sleeves 64cm
Mind you the bi-swing of the J-23 is different from the Schott 125 action back. It is too big for me and I sold it to a friend. He also owns a Vanson C2 size 38 and thinks the LW a slightly trimmer fit than the Vanson. It is also a trimmer fit than the Schott made Legendary USA Black Stallion.

Last edited:
Blackadder, you (have) had all the Buco D-pocket repros, or at least all that count, right? Which one is your personal favorite?

Blackadder

Blackadder, you (have) had all the Buco D-pocket repros, or at least all that count, right? Which one is your personal favorite?

Lol, just the three. I do not even own a Legendary Black Stallion (too big, can't find a size 36 anywhere). Personal favourite is the Few Wild Ones 50s.

lol I don't think there's more than three of them! Well, there's of course a Diamond Dave one... Legendary isn't really a straight repro, but rather their take on the design, ditto for Eastman. :D

Blackadder

lol I don't think there's more than three of them! Well, there's of course a Diamond Dave one... Legendary isn't really a straight repro, but rather their take on the design, ditto for Eastman. :D
Ah yes, forgot about Diamond Dave. Was looking at his J-21 but then found the Wild Ones, so guess that have to wait. One thing for me about buying non-Japanese is the circumference of the sleeves and the armhole. I am inclined to just copy the measurements from my Buco or the Wild Ones.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
Size 38 Lost Worlds J-23 in leather measures as follows
Chest 54cm Waist 49cm Back length 64.5cm Sleeves 64cm
Mind you the bi-swing of the J-23 is different from the Schott 125 action back. It is too big for me and I sold it to a friend. He also owns a Vanson C2 size 38 and thinks the LW a slightly trimmer fit than the Vanson. It is also a trimmer fit than the Schott made Legendary USA Black Stallion.

Thank you. Interesting - except for a slightly less tapered waist (as suspected) these are pretty exactly the measurements of my size 40 (!) Schott 125 (which is a bit too large for me). And Schott insist that the 125 was "a fuller cut" to accomodate the zip-in pile lining. I don't have a Schott 118 to check how big the difference really is. Anyway, I thought the J23 and in particular the LW J23 was a "trim" cut, but going by your figures, I would have to order a size 36. My actual chest measurement is 40+ inches though... Confused.

Blackadder

Thank you. Interesting - except for a slightly less tapered waist (as suspected) these are pretty exactly the measurements of my size 40 (!) Schott 125 (which is a bit too large for me). And Schott insist that the 125 was "a fuller cut" to accomodate the zip-in pile lining. I don't have a Schott 118 to check how big the difference really is. Anyway, I thought the J23 and in particular the LW J23 was a "trim" cut, but going by your figures, I would have to order a size 36. My actual chest measurement is 40+ inches though... Confused.

The J-23 has built-in quilted lining which is thicker than the Real McCoy's Buco J-24 but since you are getting the cloth version, I guess you may try size 36. Since it has an action back, there are some leeways. The person I sold my J-23 to has around 40' chest and the J-23 looks ok on him but it is too big for me as my chest is just 38'.

sweetfights

Great looking jacket
I just ordered a J23 from Lost Worlds
The only other motorcycle jackets I have are a Schott, Icon and a Joe Rocket.
Looking forward to the J23 Buco

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner