Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.C.Penney (Sportclad) Motorcycle Jacket History 1947-1963

Mysteryo

One Too Many
There is also this one I archived from an ebay auction years ago. With a nice engraved belt buckle, I've never seen before, square epaulets
50'sSportclad:star sportswear-20.jpg
50'sSportclad:star sportswear-19.jpg
50'sSportclad:star sportswear-18.jpg
50'sSportclad:star sportswear-17.jpg
50'sSportclad:star sportswear-16.jpg
50'sSportclad:star sportswear-15.jpg
50'sSportclad:star sportswear14.jpg
50'sSportclad:star sportswear-13.jpg
50'sSportclad:star sportswear-12.jpg
and a tremendous patina!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
There is also this one I archived from an ebay auction years ago. With a nice engraved belt buckle, I've never seen before, square epaulets View attachment 381458 View attachment 381459 View attachment 381460 View attachment 381461 View attachment 381462 View attachment 381463 View attachment 381464 View attachment 381465 View attachment 381466 and a tremendous patina!

Nice addition to the thread, thanks! I see the snaps for the throat latch and also snaps for a detachable collar. Never seen one with the hardware for a collar.

These are earlier Talon zips, not seen these on others. I'm thinking this is the earliest edition of this jacket.

50ssportclad-star-sportswear14-jpg.381464

The common Talon sleeve zipper most often seen.

a51112a0-2ad3-4e7e-bb98-aee07e3b0a2d-jpeg.380208

The Belt Buckle is most cool. Never seen that either.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Sportclad label— not sure it was sold through JCP. MC jacket with blackened brass hardware. Most SC I see have the nickel hardware. I’ll echo what you have said TM, the hide is top tier, no matter the era. And the stitching on mine is the same, excellent by any standard.

View attachment 377276
What am I missing? I do not see Sportclad in the label I see Star Sportswear

And I agree- when taking everything into consideration- the Sportclads really are the best.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The seam failed on this pocket because it did not have enough room. if it was in the correct position you showed it would be the same. There is the tell tale reinforced stitching on the belt loops too. To me Looks like another Wolf product this time made for JC Penney. Wrong?

upload_2022-1-29_12-26-52-jpeg.398773

upload_2022-1-29_12-26-52-jpeg.398770

Not wrong. I just don’t know lol. I need to put all the pictures side by side and have a better look. Makes sense though.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
It's a Wolf in Penney's clothing! Makes perfect sense. JC Penney went to the east coast to start their MC jackets with Kurland, then moved to another east coast maker Wolf for some of their later jackets.

Penney also had Western made jackets. Have to dig into them.

Perhaps Wolf's contracts with JC and MW only called for Steerhide jackets.

More will show up.

An interesting turn of events in the sage of Who made What for Who.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The Wolf Window is short too. 40s to 62’ maybe.

That is the correct length of the Post-war MC boom. Makes sense. Contracts with Penney and Ward were probably a significant part of their business. When the boom faded in the early 60s they may have felt the impact harder than other makers and faded away themselves.

Sears dominated in MC jackets through out the boom. Wards and Penney labeled MC jackets are much more limited in numbers. Wolf was not the only maker for these two labels. They obviously did not make the "Western made" jackets sold by Penney and Wards.

Another academic question partly answered.

Who made the "Western made" is my quest now.

Jischwar

One of the Regulars
That is the correct length of the Post-war MC boom. Makes sense. Contracts with Penney and Ward were probably a significant part of their business. When the boom faded in the early 60s they may have felt the impact harder than other makers and faded away themselves.

Sears dominated in MC jackets through out the boom. Wards and Penney labeled MC jackets are much more limited in numbers. Wolf was not the only maker for these two labels. They obviously did not make the "Western made" jackets sold by Penney and Wards.

Another academic question partly answered.

Who made the "Western made" is my quest now.
Reviving this thread a bit, were you able to figure out who made the "Western made"? I see a suede trucker online that the seller says is from the 70's. Very curious who made it

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Reviving this thread a bit, were you able to figure out who made the "Western made"? I see a suede trucker online that the seller says is from the 70's. Very curious who made it

Easiest to say California Sports wear, throughout the years they made jackets for all of the catalogs. If not them no idea who else would fit the bill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk