Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.P. Vanderbilt?

citRon

A-List Customer
I got a nifty little brown fedora with a lot of character off ebay I'm looking into-
The crest in the liner has a large english script 'L' and a banner that says 'IMPORTS'. Underneath the crest is J. P. Vanderbilt customized hats, and 'styled for Lord and Lord Detroit. The sweat has Beaver Fifteen' and styled for Lord and Lord Detroit. The size tag has 'hand blocked' on it. Under the sweat is a tan tag with a 'to duplicate' area but its blank, and another tan tag with the United Hatters, Cap and Millenry Workers union logo.
pics from the link-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=200299360695

I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find anything on Vanderbilt.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a house brand for Lord and Lord, or private label they carried, and perhaps a few other department stores. It most likely came out of Danbury, CT, where so many of these house brand hats were made.

That's my guess, anyway.

So many of the brands that seem to be really rare and have little information available are because they are house brands, and didn't sell in large quantities like the big companies.

Looks like a nice late-50s hat, at any rate.:)

Brad

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
One day, that auction will be gone, and somebody will do a Google search and find this post, and get frustrated because there aren't any pictures. Future person, this pic's for you:

lordandlordhat01.jpg

A very handsome hat.

-Dave

citRon

A-List Customer
:eusa_clap
thanks for that! I've since flipped the front of the brim down, but left the rest of the brim's 'character'. This was one well loved hat! The felt is is exceptional shape.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
Hate to resurrect an old thread...but I just bought this exact hat. Cost me $1.49 at Goodwill.

It was in 6 7/8, so I gave it to my girlfriend...it's pretty darn cute on her, if I do say so myself. I'm glad I could find at least a little info on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff