Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Peterman Khakis have the elusive extra belt loop!

Desk Jockey

New in Town
Makes perfect sense to me if you've got extra web belt that needs securing. If the tab and clip on the buckle are facing left relative to the gig line, then the remainder (and rarely have I seen a perfectly sized belt) goes under the extra loop rather than dangling.

Aside from that, it'd probably work well with keeping the buckle in place in general.

Jack- the Crackerjacks aren't going anywhere, the new working uniform is replacing dungarees (which are hard to keep serviceable) and coveralls (which aren't allowed in public).

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i made a post about the mysterious belt loop a while ago, photo included....

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=5322&page=3

it seems to have been most popular in the 30s. rather than securing the loose bit of extra belt length i think it might have just functioned as something to stop the belt buckle riding upward.

it could have been to attatch a watch chain, but why would you need an EXTRA loop to do that ?

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Of *course* Peterman takes liberties. I've never ordered anything from them with the impression that it was supposed to be an exact replica. Personally, I feel the ad copy is entertaining, but I don't take it as gospel. Perhaps Peterman himself threads his belts on that side - I know I personally do. It feels more natural to me, since I'm right-handed and pulling the belt through with my right hand when I buckle it.

Peterman's descriptions are fun, but you should always remember that his clothes are mainly interpretations - rarely exact replicas. I do like his stuff quite a bit - I have several shirts and two pairs of pants from him, and I'm a fan of everything I've gotten so far. His stuff gives a good flavor of classic style, but I'm not about to think they're exact replicas of anything.

His "Officer and a Gentleman" khakis (not these Navy khakis) that I own are probably the best pair of khakis I've ever had. They look much more old-fashioned than everything else I have, are well-made, and fit great.

Mycroft

One Too Many
herringbonekid said:
i made a post about the mysterious belt loop a while ago, photo included....

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=5322&page=3

it seems to have been most popular in the 30s. rather than securing the loose bit of extra belt length i think it might have just functioned as something to stop the belt buckle riding upward.

it could have been to attatch a watch chain, but why would you need an EXTRA loop to do that ?

I remeber Bogart had a key chain that look like a watch chain on his belt loops in The Big Sleep. Maybe it was for that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran