Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Peterman Khakis have the elusive extra belt loop!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
1751.jpg
The J. Peterman Classic Navy Khakis has some interesting vintage-y details, like the extra belt loop, suspender buttons, and a sizeable watch pocket. Anyone know how accurate these really are to chinos from the era?
http://jpeterman.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_1751_A_c_E_11_A_seq_E_5

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Ok, this prompts a question from a lefty

Ghos7a55assin said:
1751.jpg
The J. Peterman Classic Navy Khakis has some interesting vintage-y details, like the extra belt loop, suspender buttons, and a sizeable watch pocket. Anyone know how accurate these really are to chinos from the era?
http://jpeterman.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_1751_A_c_E_11_A_seq_E_5

It appears that the extra loop on the right is to help secure a belt end. But me, being a lefty have always threaded my belt starting on the left, thus having the loose end on the left. I have not really noticed how others do it. Do you righties thread the loops starting on your right??:rolleyes:

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
In all branches of the military the belt is threaded to the left side first, so that the tail end of the belt is to the left of the gig line.

From the Air Force uniform regulations (AFI36-2903), p. 51, "Silver tip end of the belt extends beyond the buckle facing the wearer's left..."

Does anyone thread their belt the other direction? To me it would look odd, like a man wearing a woman's shirt that buttons on the other side, but after 22 years of being told which direction to thread my belt, it's pretty much ingrained!

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
So I may not be different...

Mojave Jack said:
In all branches of the military the belt is threaded to the left side first, so that the tail end of the belt is to the left of the gig line.

From the Air Force uniform regulations (AFI36-2903), p. 51, "Silver tip end of the belt extends beyond the buckle facing the wearer's left..."

Does anyone thread their belt the other direction? To me it would look odd, like a man wearing a woman's shirt that buttons on the other side, but after 22 years of being told which direction to thread my belt, it's pretty much ingrained!
...but it does beg the question as to why Peterman puts an extra loop on the pants and then even says...
"Unusual authentic details include double-button closure, double belt loops on front right,"
...one would think an extra loop would be more functional on the left.

Baggers

Practically Family
Aquia33 said:
...but it does beg the question as to why Peterman puts an extra loop on the pants and then even says...
"Unusual authentic details include double-button closure, double belt loops on front right,"
...one would think an extra loop would be more functional on the left.

Perhaps we've simply caught their copy writer showing his/her...ignorance? :eusa_doh: It wouldn't surprise me considering the "khaki timeline" appears extremely dubious. I mean, did the Navy even have aviators as an organization in 1912? And weren't they wearing khakis long before 1941? I'm thinking they made the whole belt loop thing up to help romance the garment and the 20-something writer never realized that 99.9% of men have always threaded their belts to the left. Just another superflous feature, just like the external hanger loop on the yoke of their linen safari jacket. [huh]

Cheers!

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Sent Peterman an email

I just sent Peterman an email asking about the rationale for the right loop. I will post their response here. In the email, I included a link to this thread, who knows, they might just post their response directly here.

I have purchased several items from J. Peterman and have bought my wife a few of their ladies outfits. I like the quality and "vintage' look that they have. I must add though, that I am not into vintage apparel. I like new stuff that looks old, not old stuff that looks old.;)

Baggers

Practically Family
Aquia33 said:
I just sent Peterman an email asking about the rationale for the right loop. I will post their response here. In the email, I included a link to this thread, who knows, they might just post their response directly here.

While I applaud the initiative, I'm not going to hold my breath for an answer posted here. It would be nice if they did, though. It would be even better if they went through some of the discussions of their products that have gone on here. It might actually make a small difference in how they design future offerings. After all, as a group, we do seem to be one of their better customers! ;)

Aquia33 said:
I have purchased several items from J. Peterman and have bought my wife a few of their ladies outfits. I like the quality and "vintage' look that they have. I must add though, that I am not into vintage apparel. I like new stuff that looks old, not old stuff that looks old.;)

Unfortunately, I've returned more of their stuff than I've kept, and I blame 90% of that on those dang pictures they use to illustrate their catalogues. I've finally gotten gun shy enough that I will only buy when the urge overcomes my common sense.

Cheers!

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Peterman answer to my inquiry

Here is the answer I just received, I am sure there are some of our fine sailors here that can validate this "educated guess".
(I did remove the responders name)

Good Afternoon:

Thank you for your inquiry, I think. I will try to answer your question
the best I can. This is my educated (?) guess. The extra loop is on
the right because the "Navy" threads their belts to the right.

Have a nice day,
XXX
Customer Service Representative
J. Peterman Company

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Aquia33 said:
Good Afternoon:

Thank you for your inquiry, I think. I will try to answer your question
the best I can. This is my educated (?) guess. The extra loop is on
the right because the "Navy" threads their belts to the right.

Have a nice day,
XXX
Customer Service Representative
J. Peterman Company
Well, at least we've verified that they don't do very good research!

Description and Wear of Uniform Components, Belt With Clip, Article 3501.2

The Navy has previously gone to great lengths to preserve their uniform traditions, and as far as I know has always worn their belts in this manner (except, of course, in those uniforms that do not have belts!). I say previously because they are reconsidering doing away with the crackerjacks and are going to a camoflage utility uniform. So much for tradition.

Hmm, I wonder if J. Peterman has an opening for an historian....

Baggers

Practically Family
Ya beat me to it, Jack. I've never seen any military organization that wore it to the right (except for the ladies, as specified in your link).

Of course they can't actually admit that they goofed. Can you imagine how many pairs of trousers they'd get back as returns if it got out (assuming that anybody cared)? I had just hoped for a more finessed answer than that.

That's too bad. I had always knew that the descriptions were essentially a romantic piece of cock and bull. But I like my details to make sense. It adds an air of authenticity to the fiction which I can really appreciate.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy