Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket addiction: A very serious health issue

I was shown a $400k watch at work. A musician. About two pounds of watch (gold) and lord knows how many carats of diamonds.
It told time too...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I always wanted an Omega. When I got one I thought it the most beautiful watch I had ever seen. Sorry no photo's but it is an Omega Seamster DeVille, sunburst dial wind up with an expandable bracelet. Nothing special to some but I love it.
Over the years I have probably had around 50 jackets to keep(but sold some) others that have fitted, worn for a week, month or year then sold on. Just my regular jackets and bike leathers remain but continue to grow in number. A quick estimate would be 20 of all types and growing again. :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's pretty easy to collect interesting and affordable watches - and I did for some years. It's possible to buy fantastic vintage watches of great beauty and workmanship for between $300 and $1000. But if you like more overstated, heavily marketed Swiss brands or vulgar wrist jewelery then you need more money. I don't usually wear a watch these days and if I do it's a Seiko 5 automatic - with the 7S26 movement - one of the cheapest, most robust, reliable watch mechanisms ever made. I love its lack of prestige and its sheer utilitarian efficiency.

ingineer

One Too Many
Seb ; i hear you on the 5, own quite a few Seikos in including the orange monster.
This my day to day watch
The US gov got something right: NASA watch
The WIS people would not like it, it is Quartz

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Funny that TimeZone should get a mention here -- I used to be an active participant on TZ (and Paneristi and PursitPro). I haven't posted there in a couple of years, although I currently have a JLC for sale on TZ (and PuristPro).

I am a semi-recovered watch collector. I still have a couple of APs, a couple JLCs, a couple Panerais, and a GO, but I let go of all my major pieces a few years back.

From my personal experience, watch collecting is far more addictive than jacket collecting (e.g., jackets are the equivalent of marijuana, and watches are crack). Watch collecting is also far more taxing on one's pocket book.

There is definitely a significant cross-over between certain types of internet forums. For example, I know many people who post on both car forums (another of my vices) and watch forums.

A few of my prior watches (all my photos):

GreubelForseyDoubleTourbillonMIA.jpg

RichardMilleRM004MMA.jpg

JaegerMasterMinuteRepeaterMAA.jpg

FPJourneTourbillonMAA.jpg

ALangeSohneDatographPerpetualMMA.jpg

DeBethuneDB15MMA.jpg

And for the Panerai fans, I have had many through the years -- here are a few:

PaneraiThreeFavorite2.jpg

PaneraiFamilyMMA.jpg

HisHersWristShot1-1.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The Panerais are stunning. This exactly why I resist the watch habit, it'd be ruinous. Great pics btw.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
I doubt it is a severe Health hazard, hasnt killed me yet.

That's what single people would say, I'm sure. :) I'm looking at some of the prices out there …. that's a rarefied atmosphere for me. And a health hazard. My girlfriend would kill me.

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Could put me in the divorce courts if I get too carried away...looking away from the high end makers at present.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
[video=youtube;FCe2VJtQWYY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCe2VJtQWYY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCe2VJtQWYY[/video]

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The man in that video obviously has no 'indoor voice', just a 'screaming for help voice'.

Last edited:

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
The man in that video obviously has no 'indoor voice', just a 'screaming for help voice'.

Check this one out lol...this is the scary cautionary tale underbelly of watch addiction: [video=youtube;8_rLjnU96zM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_rLjnU96zM[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points