Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Finder

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
Hi all,

I've recently tuned in to a few episodes of the show 'bodyguard' on Netflix. I noticed that the main character was wearing an interesting type of jacket. It looked to be some kind of cafe racer style jacket with a more waxed texture - something like a Barbour International type.

I was hoping someone could potentially identify it as it looks like something I might be interested in for my next purchase.

xyjuqigi3ruj8r4qgfhw

2540076170001_5828169804001_5828168456001-vs.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Someone may know but waxed cotton jackets have been fashion items for some years so there are hundreds of potentials.

Film jackets specializes in finding jackets in TV etc.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Can't help you with specific brand, but if looking for a waxed cotton jacket stay away from Belstaff.
The drummer from my band got a new one last year and this thing fell apart at the speed of light.
It was never waterproof, and after a year of light wear it has ripped at both wrists and at a couple other places on the body.
He went to the store to show them the unnatural wear and got no help whatsoever.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes quality and garment longevity is a matter of luck. Barbour is better quality but this isn't one of theirs.

Problem with most waxed cotton today is it is fashionable so the standards drop.

Most Belstaff is 6oz which is about half the thickness it needs to be to do the job. Drizabone was always 12oz which works better. Some Trailmasters are 10oz.

I have a Filson waxed cotton - can't say I was overly impressed with it either - it's much less robust than Drizabone.

My more recent Drizabone is also less substantial and lighter than my Drizabone from 10 years ago.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
I have a Roland Sands waxed cotton motorcycle jacket that by riding jacket standards is on the “fashion “ side of things, but has held up and looks good after a couple of years. I would suggest looking at their Ronin jacket, they have a waxed cotton version.

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
Can't help you with specific brand, but if looking for a waxed cotton jacket stay away from Belstaff.
The drummer from my band got a new one last year and this thing fell apart at the speed of light.
It was never waterproof, and after a year of light wear it has ripped at both wrists and at a couple other places on the body.
He went to the store to show them the unnatural wear and got no help whatsoever.

You'd think with those prices they'd at least have decent quality control and durable products...

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
Sometimes quality and garment longevity is a matter of luck. Barbour is better quality but this isn't one of theirs.

Problem with most waxed cotton today is it is fashionable so the standards drop.

Most Belstaff is 6oz which is about half the thickness it needs to be to do the job. Drizabone was always 12oz which works better. Some Trailmasters are 10oz.

I have a Filson waxed cotton - can't say I was overly impressed with it either - it's much less robust than Drizabone.

My more recent Drizabone is also less substantial and lighter than my Drizabone from 10 years ago.

Is that true for all Drizabone nowadays? It seems to me that a fair amount of brands are really skimping on the durability and construction of their products.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hi all,

I've recently tuned in to a few episodes of the show 'bodyguard' on Netflix. I noticed that the main character was wearing an interesting type of jacket. It looked to be some kind of cafe racer style jacket with a more waxed texture - something like a Barbour International type.

I was hoping someone could potentially identify it as it looks like something I might be interested in for my next purchase.

xyjuqigi3ruj8r4qgfhw

2540076170001_5828169804001_5828168456001-vs.jpg
Ha ha
I’ve been trying to id that one too from the first scene. No luck! You are not alone. Lol

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Is that true for all Drizabone nowadays? It seems to me that a fair amount of brands are really skimping on the durability and construction of their products.

Can't say. I can only speak of the jackets I have seen and owned and they are from the "heavy duty" range. The new jacket is still good it just isn't quite as heavy.

This process when it happens is hardly a mystery. The business model of most companies is to try to maximise profits by saving on production costs and labour by outsourcing labour and materials. Blundstone boots did this some years ago - they are made off shore. The Blundstone boots I had in the 1980's were more robust than the ones made in the 1990's and today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner