Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Fit Opinion - Schott 689 HH Jacket

I think many...just prefer the ride of most HD models. They have their own uniqueness...just as other brands have their own notable differences. There are also many who find satisfaction with quiet or turbo sounding speedsters of high tech that often includes a lifestyle of armored-up fullface helmeted high rev race machines(and nothing else will do). There are those who are quite content to cruise in cushy comfort as their main thing.
It is like anything else. Finding your own niche. A satisfaction of actually not wanting for anything else. Contentment.
I found mine after riding/owning/trying various brands over many years. My greatest pleasure wasn't with boxes,trunks,fairings,innercoms,and sound systems..nor race track bullets sculptured for instant speed or knee dragging lean.
It can all be good and great fun. I would ride any of them and realize the excitement and certain pleasure. However..I would now only own one brand..simply because of what it does offer. Often copied..but not quite equaled. I don't consider it any kind of 'crisis'..if it is..I'll take that criteria as I fire her up on a beautiful summer day...then happily forget it as I hit the open road.
It is all about what pleases you. They all have certain 'lifestyles' to an extent. However..we all have the freedom to either embrace it...or find it not really so important at all. IMO..any brand of motorcycle can seem to include a ridiculous over-do of their supposed rebel or stealthy style.
HD

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars

I can tear down a Harley and rebuild it with my eyes closed, I can tune my carb literally with my eyes closed, only by ear nearly as good as a Dyno. I don't pay for maintenance or large scale repairs.

My father rode Harley's and my grandfather, I've just always had them around and get a lot of enjoyment out of the bikes. People can ride whatever they want, I would rather be wrenching on my Harley than riding on a Honda to be honest. But let's be honest basically every other cruiser out there is just an HD clone (or attempted HD clone).

Also I drive American cars, buy American when I can, so HD and Victory are my only real options and Victory bikes are just fugly IMO (sorry to any Vic owners in advance). The crotch rockets to me have no style. It's like if I had a 69 Mustang, sure a Mazda RX 7 could out handle it and go faster but it's a Mazda RX 7 and the other is a 69 Mustang.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
OK, fair points both of you.
I'm really not trying to start up a "HD vs all other bikes" thread.
Just trying to understand the HD mind set.
dr.V, I still don't understand your "I'll only ride HD" mentality.
I'm sure you like them, and so do millions of other riders.
But closing yourself off to trying different types of bikes is akin to eating only chicken for the rest of your life.
"Yeah, people say that steak is delicious, but I don't want to try it."
I've had people come up to me while riding my Speed Triple, GSXR 750, BMW K1200RS, etc and say, "should've bought a Harley"
Not the kind of thing that you should say if you want to foster brotherhood betwixt all motorcycle riders.
Sure, every group has bad apples.
But I'll bet very few GSXR riders have ever approached a Harley rider and said "should've bought a Suzuki"
I've never ridden a Harley, but would love to.
Unfortunately, none of my riding friends owns one.
I know the torque is addicting; that's one of the reasons I bought my Triumph.
And I'm sure your HD is a complete rush off the line.
Anyway, hope I don't offend anybody.
In the end, it's different strokes for different folks.
I just think life is too short to eat only chicken.
Lenny

Hmmm..the Harley mindset.
Brotherhood among all motorcycle riders.
That's like saying...there should be a brotherhood among all sportscar drivers....clothes wearers....etc. Ain't gonna happen. Neither 'side' wants it. Many are so dedicated to their brand..or style. You can't just blame it on HD riders...or even Corvette fanatics...for that matter.
'You shoulda bought a stick instead of an auto..red rather than silver'. Porsche instead of Viper.
Panasonic instead of Vizio'. All have an opinion that they think is righteous.
The tattooed pierced blue dyed roostertailed gent walking past the cleancut suit & tied gentleman may not greet each other simply because surely one thinks he is better than the other in someone's mind.
Usually..like kind more closely associate with more specifically..'like kind'. Thats why you see crochrocketeers grouped together...HD riders among HD riders. Of course..there are exceptions.
I wave at any biker..any brand. Some wave back..some stare straight ahead. I don't go to Honda MC meets and rides for good reason. I also ride the type of bike that gives me the most pleasure.....and mainly associate with those who find agreement. Such is life.
Rarely do you see a large group of Hondas..Harleys...Triumphs....Kaws...Suzs....BMWs...Ducs...all traveling down the highway together...unless for a charity run. People have a tendacy to seek others of same interests.
I have no desire to ride anything else for very long...other than what I own. Most..I don't even care to throw a leg over. Just not my style from the getgo. Now some will take that as a nose in the air attitude..but others may just understand that I am indeed content with exactly what I have chosen to ride. Some may not like riding a Harley simply because they find more pleasure in some other type..therefore..they may never understand my sense of pleasure. To me..that is easily understandable.
HD

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
i think the jacket fits great -- i can see how sizing would be harder for you just because your weight/muscles fluctuate so much depending on time of year/training cycle.

Yeah it's difficult my BW fluctuates at least 20-25 lbs a year. Makes sizing expensive jackets difficult. I bought this so it was still wearable at 225 but couldn't go 1 lb higher really. Dropping 20 lbs it fits perfect.

do you wear the jacket only on the bike? meaning, how is it, being horsehide, as a casual jacket? i love the look, but tend to wear only armored jackets on the bike so would consider a 689hh for casual wear...

Yeah I wear it on the bike, it's a solid jacket but wouldn't pass muster for the ATGATT crowd at all. As a casual jacket it works too, but it's noticeably a motorcycle jacket, as it breaks in it looks much better as a casual jacket

IXL

One Too Many
In the 70's, back when we were young punks, all the ATGATT in our entire universe was leather gloves, ( legally required) 200 lb Bell helmets with huge metal flake and bubble shield, and a Levis jeans-jacket. That was about it. Somehow we managed to survive, as did our fathers before us.....and they didn't even have the Bell helmets!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
In the 70's, back when we were young punks, all the ATGATT in our entire universe was leather gloves, ( legally required) 200 lb Bell helmets with huge metal flake and bubble shield, and a Levis jeans-jacket. That was about it. Somehow we managed to survive, as did our fathers before us.....and they didn't even have the Bell helmets!

Not a biker, but I remember back then too. Seat belts across your waist if at all and metal dashboards. I have a feeling many people managed not to survive serious accidents as well.

I've never understood why anyone disses another for what they ride. I'll wave at you and ride with you regardless of your mount. As two-wheelers, we have more in common than not. My groups have always been very diverse. Although I'm contemplating a Speed Triple to join a local Brit Bike club. That, or an old Bonnie.
Ride safe fellas. That's all that counts. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy