Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket ID California MFG Rainbow country copy

Bahabp100

Practically Family
The seller said it’s a copy of a California MFG repro by Rainbow Country yes a copy of a copy lol. Looks to have some nice pull up leather . Any guesses?
BFBCCE96-9260-453F-9B5B-C82CEB7F9C73.jpeg
79D0A5D0-2DC2-40A4-B2AD-018AA38F5640.jpeg
506018A5-F8B5-4C37-8733-0B59BC8B787C.jpeg

That’s most certainly not a Rainbow country jacket. This is the build quality of RC. Clearly on a different level:
82115649-594D-47A3-B55E-BA342938C1B5.jpeg

I suppose it could be a copy of a copy of a copy. But a Rainbow Country…it’s anything but.

Lol! This is LITERALLY the worst made leather jacket I have ever seen.
It looks as if sewn together by hand, literally. How this seller thought this was a made in Japan to highest stitch quality jacket is…interesting, to say the least. Obscure brand, so they must have some clue. Could be that rare model where the machinist is given only a needle and thread and has to do it while hog-tied and only use their teeth to manipulate the hide and stitch it together.
Edit: Rainbow Country x Texas Chainsaw Massacre collab.
@Bahabp100 if you bought this, send it back!

It looks as if sewn together by hand, literally. How this seller thought this was a made in Japan to highest stitch quality jacket is…interesting, to say the least. Obscure brand, so they must have some clue. Could be that rare model where the machinist is given only a needle and thread and has to do it while hog-tied and only use their teeth to manipulate the hide and stitch it together.
Edit: Rainbow Country x Texas Chainsaw Massacre collab.
@Bahabp100 if you bought this, send it back!

Haha. And that guy would still stitch it up better than I ever could.

What I truly don't understand is why was that junk posted to TFL twice? Shouldn't it be pretty obvious this doesn't belong on Pinterest, let alone here?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The seller's description is hilarious. How to polish a turd? This guy knows how:

"I have multiple cool, rare, unusual, bad ass leather jackets I will be listing soon! Save Californiapickers so you don’t miss anything!

Thanks for looking!

For your consideration is this VTG thick/soft/heavy leather Motorcycle Jacket, no tags, but I believe it’s done by RAIBOW COUNTRY Made in Japan . From what I can tell is that this company bought the rights to reproduce jackets which were made in the 1940’s by California Mfg. Co. This amazing jacket has acquired a deep, rich, amazing brandy colored LEATHER with a outstanding patina that can only be done properly with age. This jacket reminds me of vintage rainbow country jackets, especially the back side with the sunburst like design to it. See my pics #10 & #11 which are from a 1940’s California Mfg. Co. Jacket that sold recently on ebay. I’m no expert on leather jackets, it’s just a theory from some investigating I did into the origin of my jacket. The reproduction jackets by Rainbow Country of Japan have the California Mfg. Co. tags on them! Compare the pic of the back of the 1940’s jacket to the back of mine, if it’s not a Rainbow Country jacket, then an individual copied one of the California Mfg. Co. Jackets! Very similar wouldn’t you say! These reproduction jackets are quite pricey, since mine has no tags, it’s priced accordingly. Even if it’s not a Rainbow Country jacket, it’s still bad ass and amazing, so you decide…. I also found a jacket by RAINBOW COUNTRY that sold on eBay for $560 with the reproduction label of California Mfg. Co.(see last pic #12!) The puzzle is all starting to come together, they mystery is unfolding…You be the judge…Jacket quality is comparable to the quality of jacket makers such as SCHOTT, BATES, JOHNSON LEATHERS, LANGLITZ, TAUBERS, CAL LEATHERS. I believe the leather is nubuck, but, I’m not certain. Jacket measures to size medium/smallish large. Jacket has a navy blue like liner which shows little to no wear. Has 2 slit style hand pockets, All zippers work perfectly, has no holes or tears. Sleeve ends are zippered. Main zipper is by UCAN, which has been made since around 1990 or about 32 years. The jacket could be older than the UCAN main zipper, maybe it was replaced, I don’t know. UCAN ZIPPERS ARE MADE IN LA, CA. Sleeve zips are by ykk. Leather is in awesome VTG condition. Has no chest pockets. Has no inner chest pockets Leather is in excellent VTG condition, has alot of awesome patina throughout, Either way, bad ass! All zippers work PERFECTLY. I think this jacket could easily be unisex, but, If this jacket fit me still, I would never sell it, I’ve kept it thinking someday I might fit in it again, guess not, time for someone else to enjoy it! I’m 5’11”, 220 lbs & it’s snug, I can zip it, but, way too tight to wear, looks ridiculous on me so tight! As a fairly big guy, my sizes are p-p 23-24”, shoulder to shoulder 19-20, shoulder to sleeve cuff 25-27”, length- from back, from collar seam top to bottom 24-26”. Has no makers name or size tags, or any tags for that matter, has a tag near mid shoulder blade area, but nothing is on it. Please go by measurements. Fits more like a US MENS Medium to smallish large SIZE, SEE MEASUREMENTS. Measurements while zipped closed and flat are:

Arm pit seam to arm pit seam = 22.25”

Shoulder seam to shoulder seam = 18”

Shoulder seam to sleeve end = 26”

Length from back, collar seam to bottom = 24.5”

We have been selling on ebay since 2002 and have a feedback score of 100% with 2,200+ transactions. Rest assured that you are dealing with a reputable ebay seller. Please ask any questions prior to bidding or buying vs after the transaction. Feedback will be left for buyer after we receive feedback. Buyers with less than five feedback transactions must contact seller prior to bidding on any item (or your bid will be cancelled and you will be blocked from future bidding), unless item is “buy it now”. Payment is expected within 48 hours of winning item. Buy it Now requires instant payment. All shipping costs are paid by buyer unless item is marked as “free shipping”. Priority Shipping includes $50 insurance, if you wish to insure your item that is valued over $50 (up to purchase price) you must contact us prior to shipping and I can invoice you for the additional insurance cost.

*If there is a problem just let us know and we will fix it*

There is never a reason to leave negative feedback

We do our best to take high quality pictures, tend to over-describe our items and we stand behind our descriptions.

Return Policy

1. Buyer must contact Seller within two days of delivery date

2. Returned item must be in the same condition as you received it

3. Buyer must return item to Seller within 14 days of delivery date

4. Original or Return Shipping will be not be refunded

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING

We use Ebay's Global Shipping Program. We only ship

to countries that the Global Shipping Program will ship to.

No exceptions.

**Buyer is responsible to pay any and all duties and taxes

that are charged by the importing country.

Thank you for your purchase, be sure to follow us and check back often as we are listing new items on a regular basis. We have accumulated 1,000s of items we are ready to list. Happy Shopping!I have multiple cool, rare, unusual, bad ass leather jackets I will be listing soon! Save Californiapickers so you don’t miss anything!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
The seller's description is hilarious. How to polish a turd? This guy knows how:

"I have multiple cool, rare, unusual, bad ass leather jackets I will be listing soon! Save Californiapickers so you don’t miss anything!

Thanks for looking!

For your consideration is this VTG thick/soft/heavy leather Motorcycle Jacket, no tags, but I believe it’s done by RAIBOW COUNTRY Made in Japan . From what I can tell is that this company bought the rights to reproduce jackets which were made in the 1940’s by California Mfg. Co. This amazing jacket has acquired a deep, rich, amazing brandy colored LEATHER with a outstanding patina that can only be done properly with age. This jacket reminds me of vintage rainbow country jackets, especially the back side with the sunburst like design to it. See my pics #10 & #11 which are from a 1940’s California Mfg. Co. Jacket that sold recently on ebay. I’m no expert on leather jackets, it’s just a theory from some investigating I did into the origin of my jacket. The reproduction jackets by Rainbow Country of Japan have the California Mfg. Co. tags on them! Compare the pic of the back of the 1940’s jacket to the back of mine, if it’s not a Rainbow Country jacket, then an individual copied one of the California Mfg. Co. Jackets! Very similar wouldn’t you say! These reproduction jackets are quite pricey, since mine has no tags, it’s priced accordingly. Even if it’s not a Rainbow Country jacket, it’s still bad ass and amazing, so you decide…. I also found a jacket by RAINBOW COUNTRY that sold on eBay for $560 with the reproduction label of California Mfg. Co.(see last pic #12!) The puzzle is all starting to come together, they mystery is unfolding…You be the judge…Jacket quality is comparable to the quality of jacket makers such as SCHOTT, BATES, JOHNSON LEATHERS, LANGLITZ, TAUBERS, CAL LEATHERS. I believe the leather is nubuck, but, I’m not certain. Jacket measures to size medium/smallish large. Jacket has a navy blue like liner which shows little to no wear. Has 2 slit style hand pockets, All zippers work perfectly, has no holes or tears. Sleeve ends are zippered. Main zipper is by UCAN, which has been made since around 1990 or about 32 years. The jacket could be older than the UCAN main zipper, maybe it was replaced, I don’t know. UCAN ZIPPERS ARE MADE IN LA, CA. Sleeve zips are by ykk. Leather is in awesome VTG condition. Has no chest pockets. Has no inner chest pockets Leather is in excellent VTG condition, has alot of awesome patina throughout, Either way, bad ass! All zippers work PERFECTLY. I think this jacket could easily be unisex, but, If this jacket fit me still, I would never sell it, I’ve kept it thinking someday I might fit in it again, guess not, time for someone else to enjoy it! I’m 5’11”, 220 lbs & it’s snug, I can zip it, but, way too tight to wear, looks ridiculous on me so tight! As a fairly big guy, my sizes are p-p 23-24”, shoulder to shoulder 19-20, shoulder to sleeve cuff 25-27”, length- from back, from collar seam top to bottom 24-26”. Has no makers name or size tags, or any tags for that matter, has a tag near mid shoulder blade area, but nothing is on it. Please go by measurements. Fits more like a US MENS Medium to smallish large SIZE, SEE MEASUREMENTS. Measurements while zipped closed and flat are:

Arm pit seam to arm pit seam = 22.25”

Shoulder seam to shoulder seam = 18”

Shoulder seam to sleeve end = 26”

Length from back, collar seam to bottom = 24.5”

We have been selling on ebay since 2002 and have a feedback score of 100% with 2,200+ transactions. Rest assured that you are dealing with a reputable ebay seller. Please ask any questions prior to bidding or buying vs after the transaction. Feedback will be left for buyer after we receive feedback. Buyers with less than five feedback transactions must contact seller prior to bidding on any item (or your bid will be cancelled and you will be blocked from future bidding), unless item is “buy it now”. Payment is expected within 48 hours of winning item. Buy it Now requires instant payment. All shipping costs are paid by buyer unless item is marked as “free shipping”. Priority Shipping includes $50 insurance, if you wish to insure your item that is valued over $50 (up to purchase price) you must contact us prior to shipping and I can invoice you for the additional insurance cost.

*If there is a problem just let us know and we will fix it*

There is never a reason to leave negative feedback

We do our best to take high quality pictures, tend to over-describe our items and we stand behind our descriptions.

Return Policy

1. Buyer must contact Seller within two days of delivery date

2. Returned item must be in the same condition as you received it

3. Buyer must return item to Seller within 14 days of delivery date

4. Original or Return Shipping will be not be refunded

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING

We use Ebay's Global Shipping Program. We only ship

to countries that the Global Shipping Program will ship to.

No exceptions.

**Buyer is responsible to pay any and all duties and taxes

that are charged by the importing country.

Thank you for your purchase, be sure to follow us and check back often as we are listing new items on a regular basis. We have accumulated 1,000s of items we are ready to list. Happy Shopping!I have multiple cool, rare, unusual, bad ass leather jackets I will be listing soon! Save Californiapickers so you don’t miss anything!

Thanks for looking!
That seller is equally hilarious/offensive as a buyer. He has sent me laughable lowball offers on everything I’ve listed on eBay.

I've seen newer jackets that are far worse posted in the WJAYWT thread.

I genuinely wish to see just one jacket that is even remotely as bad as this.

This isn't a cross zip; It's a cross collar! Whoever made this abomination forgot to include a right side lapel so when you zip it up, right side of the collar will permanently stick up! This goes beyond just badly made jacket - It's a non-functional one.

I respect it as someone's first attempt at constructing a jacket, which is what I believe it is, but there's no way this ought to have gotten sold for any amount of money.

dwilson

A-List Customer
From what I can tell is that this company bought the rights to reproduce jackets which were made in the 1940’s by California Mfg. Co

Do any manufacturers actually do this? I'd assume the brands would be defunct so there are no longer trademarks on the labeling and of course clothing can't be patented for reproduction (else H&M would be out of business) so I'm not sure ..

Either way even with the construction the leather looks way too shitty for Rainbow Country

I genuinely wish to see just one jacket that is even remotely as bad as this.

This isn't a cross zip; It's a cross collar! Whoever made this abomination forgot to include a right side lapel so when you zip it up, right side of the collar will permanently stick up! This goes beyond just badly made jacket - It's a non-functional one.

I respect it as someone's first attempt at constructing a jacket, which is what I believe it is, but there's no way this ought to have gotten sold for any amount of money.
Yeah I haven’t ever seen anything like this in the WJAYWT thread. Ever. In like 12 years.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Do any manufacturers actually do this? I'd assume the brands would be defunct so there are no longer trademarks on the labeling and of course clothing can't be patented for reproduction (else H&M would be out of business) so I'm not sure ..

Either way even with the construction the leather looks way too shitty for Rainbow Country
I always thought Real McCoy had the rights to manufacture under the Buco name and logo

dwilson

A-List Customer
I always thought Real McCoy had the rights to manufacture under the Buco name and logo

You easily could be right I honestly don't know how acquiring the rights to labels/names works with really old companies. Possibly the trademarks do still persist and legal rights need to be hammered out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ