Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket knowledge please...

fishtwig

New in Town
I recently got a gorgeous HD jacket and wondered whether anyone in the community here could help me...

I've definitely identified it
as a Cycle King from approx 1991 with part number 98108-90VM according to the 1991 clothing guide (relevant page below). I have three questions:

1) What leather specifically (e.g. steerhide, cowhide) and what quality of leather (eg. full grain, top grain) is this made from? There is what appears to be a noticeable scar in the skin which maybe means full...
2) There are four snaps for a fur collar - are these available from anywhere as an original HD piece to match, rather than having to measure up and have a custom one made?
3) is it known which company made these for Harley Davidson in Korea at this time?

The label shows:
p/o HD90063
mfd by 02
prod 9601 (or) 9801
inspector SIMON C

I am posting this to three different forums to see who can enlighten me - many thanks!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 53

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
1) What leather specifically (e.g. steerhide, cowhide) and what quality of leather (eg. full grain, top grain) is this made from? There is what appears to be a noticeable scar in the skin which maybe means full...
Most likely sanded cowhide but that's just guessing because you're not showing us the actual jacket.
2) There are four snaps for a fur collar - are these available from anywhere as an original HD piece to match, rather than having to measure up and have a custom one made?
No

This is a mass produced 90s jacket that that has no collectible value from a leather jacket collector's point of view.

It's produduced in Korea because production costs needed to be as low as possible. Expensive full grain or top grain leather does not fit into that picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner