Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Question

Mickey Q

Familiar Face
Hey I’m looking to buy a vintage jacket. I’m new to shopping for them. I am thin with long arms and most clothing items are way too big in the body and way too short on the arms. Is there a specific brand that made jackets for thinner, long armed guys?? Here are my measurements..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44

Mickey Q

Familiar Face
Most vintage styles tend to have 24” sleeves. Motorcycle jackets like Cafe racer styles had longer sleeves 25-26” range. You might find some with longer sleeves, but you might want to get a vintage inspired remake, or but something like this in the classifieds (although recently sold):
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/spectacular-and-unique-aero-1930s-half-belt-jacket.109441/
Yeah that would have been perfect! I’ll start looking in cafe racer styles. Any good quality remake companies or websites?

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
do you have a jacket that fits you well now? Take measurements from that. Best to compare apples to apples. You can adjust for things like denim vs leather, etc. but good start is to have something tangible and then compare against what you want.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I’m measuring from shoulder to where my wrist is. Just seems like most stuff is shorter in the arms and huge in the body
Hmm, that might be in the sizes you're trying on. I wear a 42-44, and most everything I wear has a 25" sleeve, as measured from the top of the shoulder seam to the cuff. If you're wearing a smaller size, I'd expect the sleeve length to be proportionate, but I'm not sure what the proportion should be. Do you have an idea of what sleeve length you need? Is 25" your ideal fit, or what you're finding on jackets sized to your chest and too short on you?

It's also weird that your body length for your jacket is 24". If you're taller, I'd expect you'd need to go with a longer body length. 26" is about standard for a jacket that falls to the hips. 24" would be more of a waist height.

With a 39" chest, I'd expect you're wearing a size 40. Certain makers will have Tall sizing, you can enquire about. Or you can go with custom ordering, and provide the exact measurements you require. If they get the fit right, it will be worth it.

Mickey Q

Familiar Face
Hmm, that might be in the sizes you're trying on. I wear a 42-44, and most everything I wear has a 25" sleeve, as measured from the top of the shoulder seam to the cuff. If you're wearing a smaller size, I'd expect the sleeve length to be proportionate, but I'm not sure what the proportion should be. Do you have an idea of what sleeve length you need? Is 25" your ideal fit, or what you're finding on jackets sized to your chest and too short on you?

It's also weird that your body length for your jacket is 24". If you're taller, I'd expect you'd need to go with a longer body length. 26" is about standard for a jacket that falls to the hips. 24" would be more of a waist height.

With a 39" chest, I'd expect you're wearing a size 40. Certain makers will have Tall sizing, you can enquire about. Or you can go with custom ordering, and provide the exact measurements you require. If they get the fit right, it will be worth it.
My current fitting jacket that I want an upgrade from is 19 pit to pit, 24 arm, 24 length

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 47

Mickey Q

Familiar Face
Ok that’s good to know. I always thought 40 was a larger size for some reason. Thank you.
I don’t like them to be long because I’m used to wearing mostly trucker jackets and denim and they come down to just at or past my belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112