Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket unCollector

barnabus

One Too Many
Like we all do, I've got loads of jackets and I keep buying loads more.

But that's not what I want. I don't want to build a curated collection of different examples. I only actually want ONE JACKET.

As I've bored you all by saying before, I think everything should be for every day. And that's what I want, one jacket that works for every day.

A jacket that works if I'm going for a country hike, or for a meal in the evening, or to a funeral, or if it turns breezy at the beach, or if I'm riding the bike.

I don't think that's ever going to be possible, but I love the idea. I love the idea of streamlining down to one thing that's just right for everything.

Does anybody else ever want to simplify things? If so, what's the closest you've come to it?

The closest I've seen to what I'd like would be something like this Broger jacket. Except without the superfluous embroidery.

Frame1_13eafacc-9048-4d6d-99f2-507cbe8d3cb8.png

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can understand that wish. Deep down, I am also a minimalist. It's only in the practical implementation that there are massive problems.
Even though it would be very practical, I just don't want to look the same every day.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Cool thread idea!

Sometime in college I read in one of the countless books I reviewed of a man who had determined to wear the exact same thing every single day. As I recall his dress consisted of black patent leather shoes, black socks, a black pin stripe suit, a white dress shirt and a tie (but only of one color). In other words, he was likely a businessman of the 1950's.

As I read this list of his chosen clothing and how he had multiple identical suits and even several of the same pair of shoes, my thoughts went in two different directions (just my thoughts here, they likely are not your thoughts at all):

- How Boring that must make life

- It would never work for me, growing up on a farm, now working in that industry.

Reflecting a little more upon this, I realize that my daily routine varies considerably based upon if I am working from home (about 50%) or at the office. Then I travel directly to the YMCA I work out at (so a change of clothes there). Then I often have an evening engagement through a church activity (so another, smaller change there).

Not to mention weekends, days off, travel, hiking, bicycling, painting or remodeling in the house, working on the car, etc. So, yeah, in my case at least some measure of variety helps out a lot.

I think they key I have found is "what works for you" and then increase emphasis in that area. Reduce or eliminate what does not work for me. I could certainly live comfortably with all textile bomber jackets. However I would not really enjoy it.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
if there is only one jacket that works for all at least style wise, then it is a buttoned leather jacket for me, perhaps a leather trucker in special color that I won't get bored probably dark sage green that once the the base leather color darkens it would evolve into olive brown green

MrProper

Cool thread idea!

Sometime in college I read in one of the countless books I reviewed of a man who had determined to wear the exact same thing every single day. As I recall his dress consisted of black patent leather shoes, black socks, a black pin stripe suit, a white dress shirt and a tie (but only of one color). In other words, he was likely a businessman of the 1950's.

As I read this list of his chosen clothing and how he had multiple identical suits and even several of the same pair of shoes, my thoughts went in two different directions (just my thoughts here, they likely are not your thoughts at all):

- How Boring that must make life

- It would never work for me, growing up on a farm, now working in that industry.

Reflecting a little more upon this, I realize that my daily routine varies considerably based upon if I am working from home (about 50%) or at the office. Then I travel directly to the YMCA I work out at (so a change of clothes there). Then I often have an evening engagement through a church activity (so another, smaller change there).

Not to mention weekends, days off, travel, hiking, bicycling, painting or remodeling in the house, working on the car, etc. So, yeah, in my case at least some measure of variety helps out a lot.

I think they key I have found is "what works for you" and then increase emphasis in that area. Reduce or eliminate what does not work for me. I could certainly live comfortably with all textile bomber jackets. However I would not really enjoy it.
If my memory doesn't deceive me, Jeff Goldblum in the movie "The Fly" had in his closet all identical black suits, so he doesn't have to worry about the clothes ;)

Edward

Bartender
If my memory doesn't deceive me, Jeff Goldblum in the movie "The Fly" had in his closet all identical black suits, so he doesn't have to worry about the clothes ;)

IIRC, this was references as a nod to Einstein, though I've never been entirely convinced that this was as thought out on Einstein's part as claimed, more his habitual dress becoming the subject of an urban legend. Urban legend or no, it's certainly become something of a totem among some with pretensions to emulating him after a fashion . Steve Jobs springs to mind for one; another would be Zuckerberg.

ragtime_joe

One of the Regulars
Sounds like a great idea in theory. Most people outside of these niche realms can't tell the difference between the 20 jackets that a lot of us own. However, if any of us could ever get down to just 1 jacket that would just be be an immediate way to justify getting another one.

zebedee

One Too Many
Hmmm, if I had to, a Maxwell in dark seal Vicenza. The length, colour, style and weight would make it ok in any situation.

But I don't have to, luckily. If it was a choice of 3, a Half-Belt or Highwayman, a Cafe Racer and a 1920s Work Coat.

J.

Last edited:
I buy multiples of the exact same thing. My daughter says I’m a cartoon character who almost always looks exactly the same, unless it’s a holiday episode. All of my button downs for work are the very slightly different shade of blue. 5 pair of the exact same chinos. I only mix it up on the weekends. Then it’s bell bottoms, booze and leather or wool.

MrProper

I buy multiples of the exact same thing. My daughter says I’m a cartoon character who almost always looks exactly the same, unless it’s a holiday episode. All of my button downs for work are the very slightly different shade of blue. 5 pair of the exact same chinos. I only mix it up on the weekends. Then it’s bell bottoms, booze and leather or wool.
I feel the same way. Exactly the same things several times, just in different colours. Whether it's shoes, trousers or shirts.

Al 916

One Too Many
For quite a few years I based my office branding on jeans and a crisp white shirt.
For Ad Agency life then (80s and 90s) branding worked well (think Steve jobs etc.)

Nowadays I realise (as MrP says) we are our own brand.

This year I have been very lucky to find some great jackets that fit me very well (with the help of my friends here - Thanks guys).

I keep looking at jackets however the whisper 'I don't need' has changed to 'I don't want'.

At the moment I am happy to wear myself in and develop my own 'Grain'

So33

One of the Regulars
If I picked one jacket for all. I’d pick my Brill G-1 mid-60’s Navy issued jacket. I bought for $7 at an Odd Fellows Hall? Rummage sale in the 90’s.

zebedee

One Too Many
I just have too much clothing (even though I had a huge clear out not that long ago). I've realised that I'm probably and inevitably going to have ten leather jackets and, that if I sell or give away five, that I will, within a few years, buy five more. This means that I need to keep the ones I have to prevent new purchases and save money.

Ideally, I'd just have three or four, but that didn't last long. Footwear is easy (I rarely buy new boots or shoes and get them made, then really look after them and get them re-soled) and other clothing (shirts, chinos, etc. last ages and don't need replacing much). Tailor-made shirts have lasted me a decade. I have suits from my time in Shanghai that have lasted 13 years and a suit from HK which has lasted even longer and is still like new.

But the jackets are the weakness.

Tunaygur

New in Town
I think you all are engineers at heart with optimizing clothes and buying the thing that works multiple times. Like Jobs or Zuckerberg having 50 of the same 500$ shirt :)

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Lotta Psych 101 going on in this thread.
Picking one way to be or methodology for the “jacket menace” etc is like picking what personality you want to be.
A noble endeavor but goes against human nature.
It’s the process not the conclusion that makes the heart want what it wants, what ever that is.
Ride that wave…it knows the way.
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner