Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jackets and t-shirt sleeves

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
My favourite thing to wear under my CXL Aero Hooch Hauler is t-shirts. But, I really hate how just putting the jacket on pushes the sleeves up into my armpit and shoulder. It's uncomfortable, and also pushes both sides of the t-shirt to the middle, bunching the shirt loosely around my neck which doesn't look great.

The shirt sleeves aren't wide (pretty form fitting) or long (upper-middle bicep). So, I assume this is primarily due to the high armholes, and possibly the lining (their most basic black material). I know the purpose of high armholes and am okay with them in theory, but these are so high i can't even really get my fingers into them once the jacket's on, in order to try and tug the shirt sleeves lower into the jacket sleeve.

Does anyone else experience this, or have some kind of brilliant solution (other than a new, custom made jacket)?

Let me say that I know this is the kind of topic that makes some members roll their eyes. So if that's going to be the point of your reply, it probably isn't necessary.

Ingramite

One of the Regulars
My favourite thing to wear under my CXL Aero Hooch Hauler is t-shirts. But, I really hate how just putting the jacket on pushes the sleeves up into my armpit and shoulder. It's uncomfortable, and also pushes both sides of the t-shirt to the middle, bunching the shirt loosely around my neck which doesn't look great.

The shirt sleeves aren't wide (pretty form fitting) or long (upper-middle bicep). So, I assume this is primarily due to the high armholes, and possibly the lining (their most basic black material). I know the purpose of high armholes and am okay with them in theory, but these are so high i can't even really get my fingers into them once the jacket's on, in order to try and tug the shirt sleeves lower into the jacket sleeve.

Does anyone else experience this, or have some kind of brilliant solution (other than a new, custom made jacket)?

Let me say that I know this is the kind of topic that makes some members roll their eyes. So if that's going to be the point of your reply, it probably isn't necessary.
When I say t-shirt I think cotton.

Lately I've been wearing t shirts made of a polly blend synthetic fabric.

I'm thinking that the friction of a cotton t shirt is causing the bunching up in a tight sleeve.
A synthetic would be more slippery and wouldn't bunch up.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
When I say t-shirt I think cotton.

Lately I've been wearing t shirts made of a polly blend synthetic fabric.

I'm thinking that the friction of a cotton t shirt is causing the bunching up in a tight sleeve.
A synthetic would be more slippery and wouldn't bunch up.

Yup that's an interesting idea. Thanks!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have a T shirt fit Hooch and I experience similar although may not as severe as you. Mine is stretchy Badalassi and drill lined sleeves. It’s the drill lining that’s the culprit imo. I have higher arm hole jackets that don’t have this issue but the sleeves are nylon lined. The tartan cotton, cotton sateen, even moleskin lined sleeves are better than the drill imo. But the silver lining is that once the drill breaks in it does become smoother and less grabby. Takes time. You may endure some arm rashes from stiff drill / CXL - small price to pay.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
I have a T shirt fit Hooch and I experience similar although may not as severe as you. Mine is stretchy Badalassi and drill lined sleeves. It’s the drill lining that’s the culprit imo. I have higher arm hole jackets that don’t have this issue but the sleeves are nylon lined. The tartan cotton, cotton sateen, even moleskin lined sleeves are better than the drill imo. But the silver lining is that once the drill breaks in it does become smoother and less grabby. Takes time. You may endure some arm rashes from stiff drill / CXL - small price to pay.

That's all good information, thanks fellow Canuck. Mine's almost 3 years old, and while the CXL is only somewhat broken in, I assume the drill is as broken as it'll get by now. But maybe not. I wonder if re-lining might help...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's all good information, thanks fellow Canuck. Mine's almost 3 years old, and while the CXL is only somewhat broken in, I assume the drill is as broken as it'll get by now. But maybe not. I wonder if re-lining might help...
Yeah that’s gonna be a tricky one. Aero’s drill lining actually last forever so to recline it prematurely is gonna be a costly one. But if it is giving you unwanted rashes then maybe it’s an option. Nylon is really the best lining for slim fit patterns like the Hooch.
I‘d give it just a little more time. I wear mine at home with a long sleeve t underneath to speed up the smoothing of the drill sleeves. They do kinda smooth out quite fast with some in home wears too. Hope this helps.

The Big Kahuna

New in Town
For that "bunching" reason I prefer long sleeve T's under a leather jacket.

Either "genuine" HD dealer long sleeves OR Hanes Beefy T's (or equivalent)

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Yeah that’s gonna be a tricky one. Aero’s drill lining actually last forever so to recline it prematurely is gonna be a costly one. But if it is giving you unwanted rashes then maybe it’s an option. Nylon is really the best lining for slim fit patterns like the Hooch.
I‘d give it just a little more time. I wear mine at home with a long sleeve t underneath to speed up the smoothing of the drill sleeves. They do kinda smooth out quite fast with some in home wears too. Hope this helps.

Ah, nylon! Something else I wish I'd known.

I'm not getting rashes, so that's a plus. But I'll work on the sleeve lining and see if that reduces the shirt friction. Thanks!

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
CXL + cotton drill gave me rashes too (in 2 jackets- both with slim sleeves).

For that "bunching" reason I prefer long sleeve T's under a leather jacket.

Either "genuine" HD dealer long sleeves OR Hanes Beefy T's (or equivalent)

Thanks guys, nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with this. More long tees is a good idea, especially this time of year.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
No useful tips here, just sympathy: have that in one Aero Board Racer too (the other one somehow had slightly more accommodating armholes), and it’s simply a nuisance. i really can’t think of any way to remedy this, as the armhole will simply not get any bigger.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Thanks Tom, thanks dude. This is so much worse than a cuffed sleeve because the pushed up sleeves also press against the bottom of the high armhole. Last week, the day after I'd had my jacket on a lot, I woke up and thought I must have lymph node cancer because my armpit hurt so much : )

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Way ahead of you...

1664393997105.png

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Tom, thanks dude. This is so much worse than a cuffed sleeve because the pushed up sleeves also press against the bottom of the high armhole. Last week, the day after I'd had my jacket on a lot, I woke up and thought I must have lymph node cancer because my armpit hurt so much : )
Yikes. I've never had this issue with any of my jackets. Not even sure what to do

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Yikes. I've never had this issue with any of my jackets. Not even sure what to do

From the descriptions, it is not the t-shirts, it is the jacket pattern. Looks like too high and (maybe) too tight armholes. OP likes the jacket a lot, so in my view relining the sleeves with the slickest, slipperiest satin lining may be the best option. Dena will do it.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
From the descriptions, it is not the t-shirts, it is the jacket pattern. Looks like too high and (maybe) too tight armholes. OP likes the jacket a lot, so in my view relining the sleeves with the slickest, slipperiest satin lining may be the best option. Dena will do it.
Yeah must be. I undersized a lot of my leather jackets and even I don't have this issue.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Yes, the pattern is definitely part of the problem. The armholes are just a little too high for my particular case. It must be my giant... uh... lats? ;)

@Will Zach Who and where is Dena?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB