Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Dean Jacket

Peacoat

Bartender
I ran actually into a vintage McGregor Anti-Freeze jacket the other week. It was actually pretty cheap and in great condition, but it was tan so I didn't pick it up. If it had been red I would've definitely bought it, but theen again, if it'd been red it probably would've cost an arm and a leg . . . .

If it had been red, it wouldn't have been there.

Alfa: Please post the chest measurement of your jacket. First lay it out on a flat surface. Pull the material tight and then let it relax. Take the measurement from just under one arm pit, across the chest, to just under the other armpit.

I will send you my email address in a PM as I would like to see pictures of the jacket being worn, and especially pictures of the collar.

alfa

Familiar Face
Any one have any news on jackets!!! Im enjoying my King jacket, still wearing it in.
Anyone interested in a mint Mcgregor antifreeze, dark blue, size 38.

Alfa

creebobby

New in Town
New Japanese Reproduction

Hello all.
It looks like the Japanese company 'The Real Mccoy's' is offering an exact anti-freeze reproduction right now, down to the label and everything:
https://www.realmccoys.co.jp/catalog/products/detail.php?product_id=2623&pg=
You can order it direct from their website, but my currency converter says that it costs $917 ! Can that be true?

I've been following this thread for a while, and I would agree with the idea that a custom tailored pattern was made for Dean's jacket, that the thing was sewn from scratch using stolen labels and zippers from deconstructed off the rack anti-freezes. To me it simply rings true with what Hollywood did at the time; for their Technicolor spectacles they crafted and tailored every garment that went on every star actor. They even did screen tests just to see how fabrics would react with the color film processes of the day, and modify fabrics accordingly. This movie is an exception because the director reportedly sent the kids out to buy their own off the rack items, but to me it seems like Dean's jacket fits him too specifically and too darn perfectly to have been off the rack or even tailored off the rack jacket. They knew that Dean's red jacket was going to be the most visually important element in the whole entire film, and so it only makes sense they'd use the studio costume department (ready and waiting) to make a custom hero garment for the film's hero. For me the only reason to disbelieve the official costume designer's story is that it makes it impossible for any of us to find the 'perfect' vintage anti-freeze jacket right off the rack. That quest, coincidentally, has turned up nothing.
I think the best hope for an accurate reproduction would be to get a 50s anti-freeze, tear it down and make a pattern, steal the zipper and label, then make very detailed notes as to how Dean's jacket fit him and have a good tailor construct one using red nylon and individual measurements.
Of course, in the end I fear all this would do is prove (quite painfully) that none of us is James Dean :)

Edward

Bartender
According to xe.com you're out by a couple of dollars and some change, but close enough. Unfortunately for us, the Japanese market prizes collectable repro US clothing to a great degree, and over there the rarer and the more expensive, the better. Perceived worth seems to be very much based on retail price. I love Dean's jacket, but I couldn't honestly justify much more than about eighty dollars on a jacket of that type. I could have one heck of a three-piece suit made to measure for that sort of money!!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hello all.
It looks like the Japanese company 'The Real Mccoy's' is offering an exact anti-freeze reproduction right now, down to the label and everything:
https://www.realmccoys.co.jp/catalog/products/detail.php?product_id=2623&pg=
You can order it direct from their website, but my currency converter says that it costs $917 ! Can that be true?

I've been following this thread for a while, and I would agree with the idea that a custom tailored pattern was made for Dean's jacket, that the thing was sewn from scratch using stolen labels and zippers from deconstructed off the rack anti-freezes. To me it simply rings true with what Hollywood did at the time; for their Technicolor spectacles they crafted and tailored every garment that went on every star actor. They even did screen tests just to see how fabrics would react with the color film processes of the day, and modify fabrics accordingly. This movie is an exception because the director reportedly sent the kids out to buy their own off the rack items, but to me it seems like Dean's jacket fits him too specifically and too darn perfectly to have been off the rack or even tailored off the rack jacket. They knew that Dean's red jacket was going to be the most visually important element in the whole entire film, and so it only makes sense they'd use the studio costume department (ready and waiting) to make a custom hero garment for the film's hero. For me the only reason to disbelieve the official costume designer's story is that it makes it impossible for any of us to find the 'perfect' vintage anti-freeze jacket right off the rack. That quest, coincidentally, has turned up nothing.
I think the best hope for an accurate reproduction would be to get a 50s anti-freeze, tear it down and make a pattern, steal the zipper and label, then make very detailed notes as to how Dean's jacket fit him and have a good tailor construct one using red nylon and individual measurements.
Of course, in the end I fear all this would do is prove (quite painfully) that none of us is James Dean :)

You may be right but I don't think the jacket fits Dean in any special way. To me it could easily be off the rack. But fit is subjective. This all reminds me of the devastating battles on COW to establish who made the original Indiana Jones jacket and how it actuallty fit Harrrison Ford. The debate is as hairsplittingly absurd as a bunch of Jesuits debating Augustinian theology over red wine. I find it unlikely that a custom job would have real lables stuck on it. Can you think of any film costume item that has ever done that before?

Edward

Bartender
Unless the labels were a specific point in the plot, I can't see a film necessitating labels be added, no. I don't recall whether there's a close-up of the lining of the jacket in the film where the label would even be visible as more than just a white square?

alfa

Familiar Face
I'm glad we are all still around talking about this....as nice as a detailed replica of the Rebel jacket is. How the jacket fits and cutting is really key. My replica is a bit off, too long in the sleeves. Anyways, not all of us are build like Dean. I'm sure the really jacket is a McGregor.
McGregor with adjustments to fit Dean, or taken apart and put back together. Maybe we will never know.

creebobby

New in Town
I can see that the jacket might have been a partially deconstructed, altered, tailored and reconstructed off the rack jacket. (The grey lining is the main clue that at least something was done.)

For what it's worth, I took a bunch of dvd grabs of the label when it's visible in the film and lined them all up. (The bottom two are labels from blurred ebay jackets for comparison.)
labellineup.jpg

alfa

Familiar Face
The King has announced the next production of the 2011 Rebel Jacket.
They have added a new smaller size "M". Anyone interested?
I'm not regretting getting mine, it really is a nice jacket. But the M would have been perfect for me.
oh well.

M arrival height 61cm (24inch) shoulder length 47cm (18.5inch) sleeve length 63cm (24.8inch) body width 55cm
L arrival height 63cm (24.8inch) shoulder length 49cm (19.2inch) sleeve length 66cm (25.9inch) body width 60cm
LL arrival height 66cm (25.9inch) shoulder length 52cm (20.4inch) sleeve length 69cm (27.1inch) body width 63cm

johnny rocket 7

New in Town
James Dean's Schott jacket 2 pins?

Does anyone know what the pin were on Dean's Schott leather jacket in this image? The image is not great but if you know you'll know what the pins were.

Johnny R.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot