Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japan Hatters?

One Too Many
Japan hatters

My friend Norihico Kawai said me wich in his country there are many master hatters what make any kind hats and in own measure, furthermore, wich japanese have a great tradition in hats.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Thought this might be the most relevant place to post - found this Vintage Japanese Tokio Branded Fedora , anyone guess on the date I was thinking 20's 30's

16118213272_f23cdf8944_c.jpg

15931661900_932de30c72_c.jpg

15499236763_74fbba716d_c.jpg

15932879109_7fa13482e4_c.jpg

16118938935_d2782a8ddf_c.jpg

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
It's hat, there are no Japanese markings making me think it was for export, it looks similar too one of the hats in a picture because it has the distinctive bow work which is higher towards the rear of the hat, its really lightweight,

I'm not 100% where it came from I had a delivery of hats and there were three american hats (I never get american hats) (2 japanese) and the rest were 60's-90's German Austrian (My favourite being the Marlborough Western hat made by Wegener) brands oh and a couple of Borsalinos

This one caught my eye first because the style then the size then the Brand and the age it looked of a similar age to the Huckel Sigma I sold to Garret the bow on the sweatband was very similar

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I just got back from nine days in Kyoto and I can say that hats are quite popular. Of course I saw lots of stingy trilby hats in various cloth materials, including tweeds. I also saw lots of trilbies in a woven material, often with multiple color panels. However, many of the trilbies appeared to be quality felt. The store window displays I saw were all stingy hats with nice finishes.

However, on the street, I saw quite a few men wearing felts with wide brims and tall crowns, much like most Loungers seem to prefer. These were in shades of grey and brown, worn with suits usually. Although I saw one guy wearing a beautiful grey fedora with a brown shearling flight jacket on Christmas day.

The mall hat stores had lots of derby styles, too. These were woolies in a variety of colors. But I saw a few young people wearing what were clearly vintage derbies with various casual outfits.

Women also wear hats. Many of them were sporting fedoras, berets, and derbylike styles. I saw a few people wearing their fedoras backwards. But any visitor to Japan will be struck by just how stylish nearly everyone looks.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I got this on Aussie eBay back in 2013 from memory because I could not resist it. This is not my size but a size 55 EUR/USA 6 7/8 Montecristi quality Optimo style straw.

If anyone is interested I would be keen to sell it and please PM if so inclined.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24