Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese brands rejecting Shinki

Cornelius

Practically Family
I'm just saying your experience of rain is pretty different from that of people in other places. Correct, a leather jacket is never a raincoat, but in many places you need to be ready for the possibility of unexpected rain (that's harder than anything in SoCal). The versatility is pretty crucial in most places.

And chrome tanned leather is inherently more water resistant.

Honestly, in my worst moments, I consider proposing a ban on anyone based in southern California from posting in "Outerwear" entirely... please all of you just stop lecturing the internet world about what "Good Leather Jackets" are when 99% of your life is 72°f with full sun! It's like the Forecaster from "Anchorman" giving parka advice.
I really had to laugh out loud at your last sentence. Purely out of curiosity, what do you have against umbrellas?

This has been discussed here before somewhere, but yeah like @Carlos840 said they are literally a potential blinding hazard for anyone of even moderately tall height. I'm no NBA player, just 187cm here, but lord do I hate umbrellas on city streets!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, this is a new beginning for me.
All my jackets will soon be in the classifieds, i have no need for them anymore.
I'll take them all, JK. Don't sell.

Are you planning on washing the jacket entirely, getting it soaking wet? I soaked the sleeves of my hh Thedi using a spray bottle. They held up perfectly fine but when I touched them when they were wet my hands got completely orange from the tannines. Therefore I'm not sure washing it will be a good idea, you might flush out the tannines/color.

I did apply beeswax to bring back the lustre because the leather looked a bit dull afterwards.
It was hung under my porch but somehow the birds still got it like they can curve their bombs. I've already spot cleaned it with damp cloth. But my OCD and curiosity is making me washing it. Don't worry, it wont do much except to pop the grains. I got some Lexol, they've always work wonders for me.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, I do not think rain hurts a veg tan jacket, but you will get wet wearing it in about 10 minutes as @Carlos840 mentioned... Not fun when it is the start of a bike ride or a long walk.

Now the LW, on the other hand, it keeps me drier than most rain coats. So why wear a fabric jacket when you can wear leather? :D

The only time I wear a fabric jacket is when I am skiing, but I did think a few years ago about making a leather one with a Lewis Leather style sleeve zip for the ski pass lol

El Marro

Honestly, in my worst moments, I consider proposing a ban on anyone based in southern California from posting in "Outerwear" entirely... please all of you just stop lecturing the internet world about what "Good Leather Jackets" are when 99% of your life is 72°f with full sun! It's like the Forecaster from "Anchorman" giving parka advice.
I’m ok with that as long as you continue to allow us Northern California guys to lecture you about arctic winter gear for our frigid 40 degree winter mornings.

Cornelius

Practically Family
I’m ok with that as long as you continue to allow us Northern California guys to lecture you about arctic winter gear for our frigid 40 degree winter mornings.

Well you all just get Perfect Leather Jacket Weather year-round, so should shut up & just enjoy it! Go outside & off of this board!

Last edited:

El Marro

Well you all just get Perfect Leather Jaclet Weather year-round, so should shut up & just enjoy it! Go outside & off of this board!
I can’t argue with that! Even during the summer I can usually sneak in an hour or two of leather jacket wear if I get up early enough.

Superfluous

Don't mean to sound rude, but you live in an area with 30 days of rain a year.

There are far less then 30 days of rain per year in So Cal.

Honestly, in my worst moments, I consider proposing a ban on anyone based in southern California from posting in "Outerwear" entirely... please all of you just stop lecturing the internet world about what "Good Leather Jackets" are.

Bartender Edit: I'm sure we can come up with something classier by way of response than this. We're not on Facebook, gentlemen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I do not think rain hurts a veg tan jacket, but you will get wet wearing it in about 10 minutes as @Carlos840 mentioned... Not fun when it is the start of a bike ride or a long walk.

Now the LW, on the other hand, it keeps me drier than most rain coats. So why wear a fabric jacket when you can wear leather? :D

Amen.

Blackadder

This has been discussed here before somewhere, but yeah like @Carlos840 said they are literally a potential blinding hazard for anyone of even moderately tall height. I'm no NBA player, just 187cm here, but lord do I hate umbrellas on city streets!
I know it is meant as a joke but people do travel. I had one leather jacket with me when I was living in SoCal. The only outwear I had when I went o NY and DC for spring break. The Schott leather cotton lined MA-1 feels pretty filmsy when I was walking down the 5th Avenue. Wished I had brought an overcoat or a real MA-1 but I left all heavy outerwear overseas because I figured I would not need them for my 2-years' stay in SoCal.

Cornelius

Practically Family
Bartender Edit: Please refrain from altering the actual substance of a post when replying to it; irrespective of intention, it can cause problems when putting words into other people's mouths. Clipping out just the short bit to which you wish to reply is fine, but please don't make alterations that misrepresent what was originally said, even in jest. Thank-you for understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

sweetfights

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Ha! This made me laugh b/c I had the same thought about leather jackets the other day. I really only have two I consider outerwear, the others are more like over-shirts. The window for leather is pretty narrow in the Midwest, as just like that poridge…too hot or two cold.
I remember going to St. Louis twice for work. The first time I went it was below freezing the entire time and when I left it was -16F. The second time, it was either 77F or 35F. This was before I owned any leather jackets, but if I had, I wouldn't really have been able to use them at all. Midwest weather is wild.

Socal is actually great for leather jackets once you adapt to it IMO. Now that I've been here long enough to think that 70F is kind of chilly, I can wear leather jackets for around 7-8 months out of the year, but I would never be able to wear something like a B-15... a jacket I really like.

IMO, the vast majority of leather jackets are incredibly impractical for anything other than riding a motorcycle. They make you hot when it's not cold enough, and if it's slightly too cold, they don't keep you warm enough. They just look cool and that's why I like them. I just choose my base layer(s), hats, and scarves based on the weather and build that around the leather jacket :p

I remember going to St. Louis twice for work. The first time I went it was below freezing the entire time and when I left it was -16F. The second time, it was either 77F or 35F. This was before I owned any leather jackets, but if I had, I wouldn't really have been able to use them at all. Midwest weather is wild.

Socal is actually great for leather jackets once you adapt to it IMO. Now that I've been here long enough to think that 70F is kind of chilly, I can wear leather jackets for around 7-8 months out of the year, but I would never be able to wear something like a B-15... a jacket I really like.

IMO, the vast majority of leather jackets are incredibly impractical for anything other than riding a motorcycle. They make you hot when it's not cold enough, and if it's slightly too cold, they don't keep you warm enough. They just look cool and that's why I like them. I just choose my base layer(s), hats, and scarves based on the weather and build that around the leather jacket :p
Fall and spring are all good for leather here. Winter though. It’s rare! That’s why God made wool halfbelts I reckon.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
IMO, the vast majority of leather jackets are incredibly impractical for anything other than riding a motorcycle. They make you hot when it's not cold enough, and if it's slightly too cold, they don't keep you warm enough.
I disagree. Here in the Netherlands we can wear leather jackets 9 months of the year since temperatures will be between 50 and 70, which is perfect for wearing my halfbelts or mc jackets. If it's warmer I wear a trucker or cossack, if it's really cold (30F-40F) I wear shearling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko