Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jazz Legend Freddie Hubbard Dies At 70

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
fot33.jpg

Frederick Dewayne Hubbard was born on April 7, 1938, in Indianapolis. After taking lessons with Max Woodbury, the first trumpeter of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, at the Arthur Jordan Conservatory of Music, he performed locally with, among others, the guitarist Wes Montgomery and his brothers. Hubbard moved to New York in 1958 and almost immediately began working with groups led by the saxophonist Sonny Rollins, the drummer Philly Joe Jones and others. His profile rose in 1960 when he joined the roster of Blue Note, a leading jazz label; it rose further the next year when he was hired by Blakey, widely regarded as the music's premier talent scout.

Adding his own spin to a style informed by Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis and Clifford Brown, Hubbard played trumpet with an unusual mix of melodic inventiveness and technical razzle-dazzle. The critics took notice. Leonard Feather called him "one of the most skilled, original and forceful trumpeters of the '60s." After leaving Blakey's band in 1964, Hubbard worked for a while with another drummer-bandleader, Max Roach, before forming his own group in 1966. Four years later he began recording for CTI, a record company that would soon become known for its aggressive efforts to market jazz musicians beyond the confines of the jazz audience.

Hubbard won a Grammy Award for the album "First Light" in 1972 and was named a National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Master in 2006.

He is survived by his wife of 35 years, Briggie Hubbard, and his son, Duane.

Some "Body and Soul" from the jazz great. RIP :eusa_clap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlwpTPKpvVM&feature=related

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
R.I.P. I loved Hubbard's 1960s Blue Note albums! Especially his work on Hub Cap, though I think his greatest soloing is on Oliver Nelson's 1961 Blues & the Abstract Truth. It's the album that made me a fan for life. Hubbard could (and di) play with anyone and had that great fat, round sound.

P.S. Like the photo; must be Freddie's tribute to Fats Navarro.

Fats_Navarro.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland