Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jennifer Garner as Miss Marple???

Pompidou

One Too Many
It'll be interesting to see what they do with the stories. I'll withold judgement until i've seen it.

But, given that it's Disney, one can imagine the kind of family friendly, über sanitised garbage it'll likely become.

However, I may be wrong.

bk

Definitely. I'm mostly hesitant to see it because I fear eye-rollingly cheesy family goodness akin to an old sitcom like Leave it to Beaver or Full House - the kind of script with that sort of innocence I just can't enjoy. The Disney name in tandem with live action always turns me away. Alice in Wonderland, I generally hold as the exception. The idea of remakes and re-imagining doesn't particularly bother me, even if they often do turn out badly.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
"Miss Marple" and "Sex"

I kind of shudder at the very idea of thinking about "Miss Marple" and "Sex" in the same sentence. I think that Miss Marple was one of those "Maiden Ladies", of which my great aunts were 4, and of which there will never be any ever again, who lived an entire life chaste, but who fully understood what sex was all about, in a non-Puritanical way. And who were not ones to pass hasty judgment on anyone else's sex life, even tho they may never have had one themselves.
What I'm getting at here is that SURELY Miss Marple is gong to acquire a "past", at the hands of Hollywood. I know I shouldn't assume, but I just have an ugly feeling.
And it just ain't right, ya know what I mean? I think that's what bugs and worries me most about this whole enterprise.
Oh! I just had another bizarre thought. What if they invent a whole new character, who's, like, a NIECE of the original Miss Marple! That would take cheesiness to a whole new level!

Definitely. I'm mostly hesitant to see it because I fear eye-rollingly cheesy family goodness akin to an old sitcom like Leave it to Beaver or Full House - the kind of script with that sort of innocence I just can't enjoy. The Disney name in tandem with live action always turns me away. Alice in Wonderland, I generally hold as the exception. The idea of remakes and re-imagining doesn't particularly bother me, even if they often do turn out badly.

Actually, a friend of mine that keeps an eye on some of the Disney productions had said in both recent movies and TV often sidesteps the actual old traditional values and presents some more current values shaping them as traditional but presenting a more politically correct view than say Leave It To Beaver type shows.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Maggie Smith and Judy Dench and Helen Mirren would all be BAD Miss Marples. Only Joan Hickson had that absolute plainnness that the character requires.
But it's good to see the second thoughts popping up all over the place. I had wondered where the Christie estate had been in all this.

Talbot

One Too Many
They are currently thinking that to make it contemperary with social conscious views so add to that list she should be possibly a handicapped, minority, lesbian recently out out after of an abusive marrige with a religeous male husband plus she just found out she is HIV positive?

Where's the teen vampire angst?

Tiller

Practically Family
That gets introduced just after the winning the inner city rap contest and losing her hip hop dance partner murdered by werewolves just before the school dance contest.

But then the tap dancing state champion shows up and saves the day, even though the dance troop had teased him earlier in the movie. Proving once and for all that all nerdy kids have a heart of gold.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Where's the teen vampire angst?
Well, that's how she became HIV Positive... Does anyone actually know a Hollywood writer and what we OBVIOUSLY think of them? Quick work Charlie Sheen into this somehow. Angus can play the nerd with the heart of gold.

Later

Annichen

Familiar Face
Oh yes, it must be some awful joke..
I remember seeing a episode of the last series featuring a young Miss Marple,that girl was perfect!
Disney is rather rubbish these days anyway..

Juliet

A-List Customer
Oh boy.....
This reminds me of a film critic's recent comment: "Having watched the latest Hit-Movie, I have the feeling that the screenwriters employed a new tactic instead of going on strike. Their work seems to say - For this salary not only won't we work, we'll do some harm, too! "

Sam Craig

One Too Many
On the one hand, good film stories are always being reshot

When John Wayne and John Ford and cast made Three Godfathers it was, I believe, the third time, at least, that the story had been shot.

On the other hand, there is a sad movement in films today ... especially involving Steve Martin ... to reshoot classics

Father of the Bride

The Out of Towners

Pink Panther

Whether these are favorites or not in their original form, to try to rebuild a career in this manner is just sad.

(Especially, Father of the Bride!)

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR