Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes suit

Cobden

Practically Family
My apologies, I didn't reveal my other problem with Gentleman's Emporium; I'm both very tall and slightly athletic of build, therefore no 'regular' sizes fit me.

Could the other store you mention be Sutlers? I've been looking at their Frock Coats and they look quite good. The price is very reasonable as well. I've sent them a few questions regarding their product. It'll be interesting to see if this could be it :)

Sutler's reputuation is fairly terrible, certainly amongst the re-enacting circle.

nihil

One of the Regulars
That is very good to know, thank you!
Do you know why they have gotten that reputation, or in which areas they do not 'deliver'?

nihil

One of the Regulars
It seems my searching is over. A friend of mien found a three piece frock suit at a local second hand shop. It sounds like it's very close to my measurements...and at only 45€ :D

I promise to share some pictures when I get the suit and have some minor alterations made.

filfoster

One Too Many
His loss was a great one to both the Holmes' oeuvre and to literate television in general. The definitive Sherlock of his era . . . and those that follow. RIP, Jeremy, you were the artist's artist.

Just to add my unnecessary endorsement of this evaluation. I love the new Robert Downey version of Holmes too but Jeremy Brett's performance is 'the real' Sherlock Holmes for many of us.

filfoster

One Too Many
May we ask how much it set you back, in case other Holmes officionados want to have one made?
I am glad to share but PM me. You can get a good handle by going through the shopping cart exercise on the site...I opted for padding and quilting for the coat and using the 'deluxe' black wool broadcloth. I am a 'frequent flyer' so perhaps got a little price break.
These folks have made many wonderful, strange garments-far from Civil War- for me:
Yamamoto's blue undress uniform, complete with sleeve braid supplied by a Tokyo customer!
Captain E J Smith's uniform from the Titanic (see Titanic thread in this forum for details);
Admiral Dewey's 'Admiral of the Navy' uniform, jacket and trousers;
Teddy Roosevelt's 'Rough Riders' khaki uniform;
Two Holmes 'costumes' from the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes, and a 'Watson' type gray wool suit;
Andrew Jackson's 'Battle of New Orleans' uniform, using embroidered bits and epaulettes from a film consultant friend in New Orleans (this one is used by the National Park Service for the film at the park);
a Mexican War US Maj. General's uniform and of course a lot of Civil War uniforms.
All these and many, many others will be sold by my widow within days of my passing.

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I am glad to share but PM me. You can get a good handle by going through the shopping cart exercise on the site...I opted for padding and quilting for the coat and using the 'deluxe' black wool broadcloth. I am a 'frequent flyer' so perhaps got a little price break.
These folks have made many wonderful, strange garments-far from Civil War- for me:
Yamamoto's blue undress uniform, complete with sleeve braid supplied by a Tokyo customer!
Captain E J Smith's uniform from the Titanic (see Titanic thread in this forum for details);
Two Holmes 'costumes' from the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes, and a 'Watson' type gray wool suit;
Andrew Jackson's 'Battle of New Orleans' uniform, using embroidered bits and epaulettes from a film consultant friend in New Orleans (this one is used by the National Park Service for the film at the park);
a Mexican War US Maj. General's uniform and of course a lot of Civil War uniforms.
All these and many, many others will be sold by my widow within days of my passing.

WOW, that is quite the collection of uniforms/costumes! When do you find time and occasion to wear them all? Do you ever wear your Victorian attire in daily life?

I'm a huge admirer of the Victorian aesthetic and try to incorporate it into my clothing.

PM inbound.

nihil

One of the Regulars

You know the saying "Pictures or it didn't happen"...I'd really like to see those outfits :)

filfoster

One Too Many
You know the saying "Pictures or it didn't happen"...I'd really like to see those outfits :)

I inventoried over 250 uniforms and movie/TV costume recreations so pictures are unwieldy. I may have a few saved in my work computer and will look for some.
Neither Mrs. Foster nor I have mastered the digital camera and emailing yet but my daughters occasionally oblige. Unfortunately, I do have a sense of the cost of all this useless indulgence and can assure you that, pictures or not, they are very real. As real as the reference to the sale that will follow my demise.
I have rented a few to TV and movies but it will never be enough to cover a tiny fraction of the cost.

filfoster

One Too Many
WOW, that is quite the collection of uniforms/costumes! When do you find time and occasion to wear them all? Do you ever wear your Victorian attire in daily life?

I'm a huge admirer of the Victorian aesthetic and try to incorporate it into my clothing.

PM inbound.

I almost NEVER wear them. I use them on mannequin display and occasionally for costume use but mostly just lay them out on the dining room table with appropriate props for my own enjoyment with an adult beverage. It's a pretty esoteric and selfish pleasure and one that would disappear if Mrs. Foster had an appreciation of the cost. I am a very bad man.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Another great reference is Sidney Paget's original illustrations that ran with the Holmes stories when they were first printed in the Strand. I have several blown up and framed in my living room - and comparing them with the descriptions here of Brett's wardrobe, I find that he copied Holmes' wardrobe in Paget's illustrations pretty closely. Also, they are really cool to see as they were the original vision of Holmes - before any actors got their hands on him.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Ah yes! Sidney Paget's original illustrations would be excellent reference material! They were incredibly detailed and expertly drawn.

I believe he used his own brother as the model for Holmes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran