JFK's Cavanagh

Discussion in 'Hats' started by FedoraFan112390, May 27, 2010.

1. Mobile Vulgus

Mobile Vulgus One Too Many

Secret Service?
    Oh, YOU were thinking the Nazi SS!! Ooops.

2. FedoraFan112390

FedoraFan112390 Practically Family

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. MCrider

MCrider A-List Customer

I really like those pics of JFK and his hat(s). Especially the one in the presidential box at a game. I also like the last two photo's where it shows the difference in generations, meaning the wider brim vs the stingy. Excellelnt photos FedoraFan112390!

4. FedoraFan112390

Plus the generational difference with JFK in his thin cut, dark blue suit; Flashy new, whereas you have Ike in his wider cut grey suit. Truly a photo which captures two generations.

5. Canadave

Canadave One Too Many

Great pics!

The first one looks like he's on a tiny (or invisible) Blackberry. Let the time-traveling hoax begin!

6. FedoraFan112390

According to where I got the pic from, he was on his way to the hospital; Jackie was in labor with John, Jr.

7. 150719541

150719541 One Too Many

In our country always saw JFK like a pleasing and agreeable person, I think He looked fine with any hat.

8. FedoraFan112390

A question: Do you guys think JFK only wore a hat in these pictures (even the one en route to the hospital to meet Jackie who was in labor) only due to the requests of his hat industry friends, or did he genuinely like wearing a hat (on a rare occaison)?

9. Based on his coiffure, and the fact that he seemed to hold the hat most of the time, I would guess he wasn't a hat wearer at all.

10. Richard Warren

Richard Warren Practically Family

Seems to me likely that he wore a hat like everybody else, except when it suited his purpose to pose without one to display his hair (so as to emphasize his "youthfulness" and "vigor") and that as usual the media reported the narrative rather than the facts.

Is it just me but is he wearing elevator shoes?

11. That should be, "vigah".

12. Aureliano

Aureliano I'll Lock Up

Is it just me or in this photo you can actually hint the Cavanagh logo in the liner?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  13. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

What are the dates on these photos? I was just digging through Hatless Jack again, and noticed that the Cavanagh was given to Kennedy in September 1963. If these are all of the Cavanagh, then they are from September to November of that year.

American Heritage has a bit more information about the Cavanagh presentation, including the note that he carried the hat around for two weeks. Still, he apparently only had the Cavanagh for two to three months before he was killed. I haven't quite figured out what to make of the Secret Service agent's comments about stopping by the hat store. Hatless Jack makes the point that the American hat industry struggled to get him to be seen in public in hats. The Cavanagh wasn't the first hat presentation to him.

Brad

14. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

15. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

Okay, so he did have a Cavanagh prior to the gift hat. Good to know, thanks.

Brad

16. Canadave

Canadave One Too Many

Maybe it was poor grammar in my original post, but it was the Secret Service agent who dropped by the store to purchase a hat for himself (NOT JFK who dropped by the store).

17. FedoraFan112390

The dates on those photos are:
    JFK wearing fedora as he puts on suit jacket (January or February 1960. He was on his way to officially announce he was running for President).
    JFK walking in the street en route to hospital to meet Jackie (December 2nd, 1960)
    JFK wearing Fedora, opening day Baseball (April 10th, 1961)
    JFK meeting Ike at Camp David, fedora in hand (April 22nd 1961)
    JFK holding fedora, meeting with President Surkano (April 24th, 1961)
    JFK meeting Khrustchev in Vienna with fedora in hand (June 3rd 1961)
    JFK, hat in hand, meeting with British PM MacMillian (December 1961)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  18. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

Aha, thanks, that clears it up for me. I just misunderstood.

Brad

19. FedoraFan112390

Here's another of JFK with a fedora:
    Meeting with British PM Macmillian in December 1961:
    [​IMG]

20. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

It begs the question, though, "Why have a hat if you're not going to wear it?" It's not that the hatting industry had enough influence with him that they could convince him to carry one everywhere he went. Curious situation.

Brad