Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jiffy Hat Steamer

Playdablues

New in Town
:arated:

I picked up a Jiffy Steamer Model J-2 on ebay a while back for 79.99 with free shipping. It works great. Just like being at the hatters shop! If you do get a used one that needs repair or ever need parts they are all available on their website. You can even convert a j-1 or j-2 into the hat steamer by buying the hat steamer nozzle and replacing the hose with it.

fedoracentric

Banned
Make sure you only use distilled water or you will end up having to clean the mineral deposits out of it.

I bought a used J-4000H that I have since sold. It is the one where the water is put inside the machine in an inner tank, as opposed to having a bottle outside and only a small reservoir. Anyway, the first time I filled it up I took it outside to empty out, you know, to give it a rinse. What came out was 50 years of white calcium powder! I rinsed it out ten times before the white chips and goop stopped pouring out.

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
I bought a used J-4000H that I have since sold. It is the one where the water is put inside the machine in an inner tank, as opposed to having a bottle outside and only a small reservoir. Anyway, the first time I filled it up I took it outside to empty out, you know, to give it a rinse. What came out was 50 years of white calcium powder! I rinsed it out ten times before the white chips and goop stopped pouring out.

I can imagine ... I use a CPAP that requires distilled water. When I got the machine, the technician pointed out it was imperative that only distilled water is used because of the buildup of minerals. When I get a hat steamer, I'd planned on using only distilled water with it, too.

-30-

A-List Customer
A (cold) cleaning vinegar soak will remove the mineral deposit.

Regular vinegar - 5%.
Pickling vinegar - 7.5 %
Cleaning vinegar - 10 %.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
ok guys ... digging up an old thread for some advice

I'm making the plunge on a Jiffy hat steamer

I don't want anything too big ... looking at the J1

before you suggest it ... no I don't want to use a kettle ... and I currently have a nice little steamer but just want a good Jiffy

... so any suggestions other than the J1

tommyK

One Too Many
I've recently switched to the McCulloch mc1275

Good for cleaning lots of stuff as well
71NgmoDiJeL._SL1500_.jpg

tommyK

One Too Many
Tea kettle was my prior steam delivery system. This thing just blows an incredible amount of steam. It's very easy to soak the hat if you hold it too close or too long. As strong as it is there doesn't seem to be any danger of harming the hat

Reactions: RJR

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
My hat steamer, a older Jiffy J1, stopped working a couple weeks ago. The steamer was purchased used in 2013. Excellent machine. It did require periodic cleaning, purchase of a new nozel and was not putting out "lots of steam" at the end. I need to purchase a steamer. I have looked at the new Jiffy models and am stuck deciding which model. Advise?

I searched the forum, via google, and see that previous steamer queries are older. What new models/brands/features that should be considered?

Thanks in advance for your sage wisdom.

Best, Eric -

I've only used the J1; however, the pro model gives you more versatility if you think you might use the steamer for more than just hats. If you're just steaming hats, it's hard to see anyone needing more than the J1.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I've only used the J1; however, the pro model gives you more versatility if you think you might use the steamer for more than just hats. If you're just steaming hats, it's hard to see anyone needing more than the J1.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a suit steamer(Rowenta Garment Steamer) and a steam clothing iron (Rowenta 9280). I have been using my stem iron to work hats the past couple of weeks. The iron makes powerfull steam, but as one can imagine it is akward at best.

Without other options, I will replace with same. Tommorow I will work on ordering.

Thanks folks. Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ