Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jiffy Hat Steamer

varga49

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have a thought one way or another about the Jiffy hat Steamers? I have quite a few hats, with which only a few really need restoation...but several others through general use and through shipping, are in need of shaping. I have used the old tea pot steaming method...but that's getting old and tedious. what say ye?

varga49

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
I use an espresso machine.
Know anyone who owns a cafe?

Never seen a Jiffy Hat Steamer.

Hmmmm now thats a good idea! since I'm a caffiene achiever I could kill two birds??(pondering contextual usage!) with one ..ummm hat!

The Jiffy Steamer is the only one I've ever seen in local hat shops...has a gallon or so, jug...better yet check this site out http://www.jiffysteamer.com/products/index.asp?incat=7

Aaron Hats

Vendor
A steamer is the best money I ever spent. Obviously I use it in the store but I think I'd still have one even if I didn't have the store. I say go fot it. You won't be disappointed once you use it.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Use a Tea Kettle

I don't know what you meant by "save your money" PB! If you use it a lot, a Jiffy Steamer is great. I have used an English Tea Kettle that by God gives the best stream of HOT steam ever. Oh, and you can boil water to make wonderful tea, and it makes a shrill whistle when you turn on the stove top and get distracted on the phone or internet!

Simplex Tea Kettle

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab

Victor

One of the Regulars
I have a Jiffy hat steamer that I found at Goodwill for $5.00
I like it but I find that a tea kettle gives a hotter steam which can be quicker to work with. teh steamer is easy to use though. Haven't tested it on my Panama yet, only on felt.

varga49

One of the Regulars
Panamabob said:
:p Actually I said "Save some money" and I was implying that he could save money by buying the steamer at this place.

The link didn't exactly go where I'd thought it would, but this one does:

http://www.cooking-appliances.com/products/abp02469.html

Your bartender neutrality is showing again.
Ahh! Thanks PB!

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
What do you guys with lots of hats use for a steamer?

I tried the search tool but didn’t find old steamer threads

Have you tried the Jiffy J-1 ($99 from Allbrands on line) or J-4000H Proline Commerical ($169) Hat Steamer?

Or is something else available?

I’ve reached a boiling point. I’m tired of using the tea kettle for carefully steaming a slick new bash, while standing over the hot stove, and Mrs Fredthecat is even more tired of me being “….in the way, playing with all your silly hats”

Fredthecat

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
A kettle is OK, but a steamer is the way to go if your going to be doing much of it. The Jiffy model I have serves many purposes from hats to coats to my wifes dress or house curtains.

MVC-118F.jpg

Daniel

Familiar Face
I use a hand-held steamer I bought from Target for around $30.00. It' similar to this one, but doesn't have temperature control.

There's a built-in brush so I mainly use it for suits, but it works fine for hats. It's saved quite a bit on dry cleaning bills.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I've got a Jiffy steamer similar to Bud's, but when I ordered it I also ordered the hat steamer nozzle attachment. Not sure it was worth it (the nozzle, that is.)

I liked Art's Lady Bug steamer,

biggerbug.jpg

but then I saw what they cost :eek: --I'm going to have to wait a while before going that route! :eusa_doh: The great thing about it is that, unlike the other steamers or steaming methods we're discussing, is that it's not sitting there dispensing steam even when you're not using it--you have to pull the trigger to get a blast of steam. This keeps it from getting too hot and humid in the room you're working in.

Mine's the J-2:

J-2.gif

The one that Ideaguy is referring to below is the J-1:

speciality_j1.jpg

It's essentially the same as the J-2 but without the casters. I decided to go with a multi-use steamer and spent a bit more for the additional attachments. Right now it's sitting on my work bench here in my office, and the only difference between it and the hat steamer in the photo is mine is on wheels.

We get a lot of use out of it, mostly steaming clothes. I'll probably be using it tomorrow as part of my bathroom cleaning, though--it came with attachments for that, too! :D

Cheers,
Tom

(Edited to add the photos and info about the Jiffy steamers)

ideaguy

One Too Many
Bud's got a good one, looks newer; Jiffy made a tabletop steamer, came with a gallon plastic jug to fill steamer and hold excess water, has a brass pipe about 1/2-3/4" in dia. that the steam comes out, at a 45degree angle to you.
Really throws out a lot of steam, have to be carefull to to get seriously scalded if you get too close;
Does a WONDERFUL job on hats; long plug, extra-heavy duty-made of steel-and the one the hatter's use (that I've seen)
Check Jiffy.com or cleaning supplies,appliances, etc. but I know that they are still available- I picked mine up on eBay for under $100 in crispy condition.

good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk