Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Job titles, then and now

LizzieMaine

Bartender
At least in my experience, a fancy professional title has always been a cheesy scam to avoid paying me overtime. At least here in Maine, if you're a member of "management", you don't have to be paid time and a half if you go beyond 40 hours a week.

That being so, you can imagine how I rejoiced when I was appointed "News Director" of the radio station where I worked too hard for too many years for too little money.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
I'm a Nail Technician, it used to be called Manicurist, this was before you had to be licensed by the state to do nails. Same thing with Beautician, now it's a Stylist.[huh]

Doh!

One Too Many
When I was in grade school, the janitor told us, "I'm not a janitor -- I'm a sh** cleaner-upper!" I was about 12 at the time, so couldn't exactly argue with an adult, could I?

As I recall, his personality was somewhere between Freddy Krueger and Groundskeeper Willie.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That reminds me...

Doh! said:
When I was in grade school, the janitor told us, "I'm not a janitor -- I'm a sh** cleaner-upper!" I was about 12 at the time, so couldn't exactly argue with an adult, could I?

As I recall, his personality was somewhere between Freddy Krueger and Groundskeeper Willie.

Remember that old kid's thing about holding the tip of your tongue while talking about Father working in the Ship Yard cleaning up ashes? :D I think I did that a million times when I was a kid - and laughed everytime!lol

-dixon cannon

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Everything job related now uses a vocabulary that is so high and grandiose I get nose bleeds right down to being "output" which used to mean laid off or fired.;) :rolleyes:

Rosie

One Too Many
Teacher is being phased out and "educator" is taking it's place, all the same thing. My principal asked if I wanted to be Lead Educator for the fourth grade this year sounds fancy uh? It entails ME being responsible for all fourth grade teachers getting all notices, letters to parents, making sure their libraries are stocked with necesarry books and making sure their classsrooms are in order before we get a visit from the higher ups. I'd also have to train any new teacher, uh, educators in anything they don't understand with no extra pay. Er, no thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80