Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joe Friday's Fedora

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They've got SEVERAL great stamps coming out in 2009. Besides Friday on the Early TV legends series (a total of 20 stamps) they've also got Lucy, Groucho, Howdy Doodie among others. A Bob Hope stamp, Gary Cooper, Edgar Allan Poe, an Abe Lincoln series, a Civil Rights Pioneers series, Gulf Coast lighthouses, two different wedding invitation stamps and others. I think it's one of the best, if not THE best year's line-up of new stamps they've EVER had.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Hey, all... haven't posted in months (work and such), and figures the first day I come back, I see this. :)

What's hilarious is, I'm such a Dragnet junkie that I didn't even need to follow the link... I read "climbing stairs" and then a mention of Lee Marvin and I knew right off which episode it was. lol Now I have to go home and watch it. Thanks, guys!

(Classic episode. Lee Marvin was so creepy in it... and so young!)

I'm glad the stamp features '50s, hatted (is that a word?) Joe Friday instead of his later '60s incarnation... while that version of the show was good, it was more of a Jack Webb Soapbox Hour than the gritty cop show it started out as. It'd be awesome if this stamp would raise awareness of the original version, since due to reruns on cable, the '60s version is all that anybody knows about these days. But now I'm getting waaaaaaaaaay :eek:fftopic: )

I've always admired the hat Jack Webb wore as Joe Friday. Tall(ish) untapered crown, medium width brim, nice wide ribbon. Cav edge, I believe. Great proportions, and the man wearing it doesn't hurt either. :) I've always thought that if I can ever afford to have a custom hat made for me, I would just bring along a VHS copy of the 1954 Dragnet movie and say, "Copy this hat, please!"

Here are some better pics:
draghat1.jpg

draghat2.jpg

That's Friday's hat in the foreground. In the background is Friday's partner Frank Smith's (played by Ben Alexander) lid. Friday's hat was gray, and it was the same one through the entire series except for very early on in the first season when he wore one of the same style and shape, but in black (the one in the episode linked above, as a matter of fact). I'd be interested in knowing what happened to the gray one, and where it is now. If there's any justice in the world, it's right this moment gracing some lucky fellow's head and not in some dusty attic, forgotten by his estate or whatever.

-Tofu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran