Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp in talks to Play The Thin Man

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'll agree with that RBH.
I've found most often in classic movies (such as Vincent Price's 60's period), it's not the actor and their interpretation that stinks, it's the lines they have to say. To show they are indeed a talented actor, they do it with a straight face...

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I think if anyone could do it, Depp could... but that doesn't mean I think it *should* be done. Leave the classics alone, I say.

That said... I'm not sure who I'd put as Nora. Someone with classic looks, good acting ability, and a funny bone. Anne Hathaway or Cate Blanchett are the only ones who come to mind. I know a few folks mentioned Rachel McAdams... I just can't see that. I will never understand the popularity of The Notebook.

Last edited:

rue

This made me feel a bit better about it:

"We'll be setting it in the '30s," Marshall said, "because it is of that world. It's an era that we have a great affinity for. I think both [producer and partner] Johnny DeLuca and I feel like we were born in the wrong era, and Johnny really feels like he lives in the '30s. So we're going to be able to inhabit a world that we really, truly love ... in the time of speakeasies, one of those rich, beautiful times in America."

m0nk

One Too Many
As with any remake, there is the possibility it could be great, but just as much of a possibility it could be a complete failure. Will be waiting patiently to see how it goes.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
"Marshall also intends to use his talent as a choreographer (remember he did Chicago) and work in a musical number or two."

WTF?

Feraud

Bartender
"Marshall also intends to use his talent as a choreographer (remember he did Chicago) and work in a musical number or two."

WTF?
A musical number in a nightclub makes perfect sense. Rest assured -
A nightclub scene might bring a musical number to the film, but the film itself will not be a musical, Marshall said. "I don't know if Johnny will be part of the music part of it," he said, "because it has to be organic to the story."

m0nk

One Too Many
Thin Man remake?

Ok, I rarely surf the web outside the Fedora Lounge anymore, but last night I clicked on a link for news of another movie and saw a rather sparing article about a Thin Man remake with Johnny Depp in the pre-production phase. The article was from May 2011, and I didn't do any additional searches, but has anyone else heard of this? Is it true? Will they be doing the entire Thin Man series or just the original? Will it be set in the 30's or a modern take? Does it really need to be done?

I like Depp, but I also don't want to see another classic churned through the Hollywood money-making rotunda, only to be spit out as a wasted piece of drivel, simply meant for meager box-office earnings. Do script writers really have no more original ideas left?

Doublegun

Practically Family
I believe there is already a fairly long thread about the remake on the FL. I agree, no one should touch these movies and no one will be able to come close to the chemistry between Powell and Loye. With Depp we are going to see Captn. Jack Sparrow in a fedora but it could be worse. They could have cast Keneau Reeves and ruin another classic like they did in the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still.

m0nk

One Too Many
Hmm, I must have a "Nick-ish" daze about me as I didn't remember having commented on this thread, or even of it's very existence. I read briefly last night about the remake and got all worried. I sure hope it turns out ok.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
Please NO. We don't need a remake of another fantastic classic film. I don't want my kids thinking that the new "Thin Man" is the only one. This has already happened with too many great movies like "The Day The Earth Stood Still", "The Taking of Pelham 123", "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" and "The Time Machine". I will concede that "Mission: Impossible" and "Ocean's Eleven" were great. But for every one good one, there are 100 pieces of junk.

mrgatsby

New in Town
Please NO. We don't need a remake of another fantastic classic film. I don't want my kids thinking that the new "Thin Man" is the only one. This has already happened with too many great movies like "The Day The Earth Stood Still", "The Taking of Pelham 123", "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" and "The Time Machine". I will concede that "Mission: Impossible" and "Ocean's Eleven" were great. But for every one good one, there are 100 pieces of junk.
+1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto