Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp in talks to Play The Thin Man

Blackjack

One Too Many
I love the idea of a new spin on the Thin Man and I think Depp is a fine choice. He has a charming wit combined with the ability to play a serious even dangerous character. I think Rachel McAdams might make a good Nora, but even more important is who's going to play Asta...

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
I keep thinking this all comes back to that they are officially out of new ideas. Just looking today is the first I heard of this. I didn't read the whole thread but has anybody heard if they are going to do the remake in the '30's. I've been a "Thin Man" fan for many years and think the stories will only work in thier original time. So many things have changed I don't believe much from the originals would translate well to present. I like Depp and he's done a number of "period part". He seems to adapt well to many different characters but I don't know about having anyone else in the role of Nick & Nora. I'm a huge William Powell fan and with Myna Loy they were such naturals in those roles I just can't imagine anyone else doing the parts justice.

On another note I was also a "Dark Shadows" fan. It will be interesting to see what Depp does with Barnabus Collins. I haven't noticed any talk come up on the Lounge about this remake. This maybe should be another thread but are there any other "Dark Shadows" fans in the Lounge.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Am I the only one who feels like Johnny Depp has been more of an impressionist than an actor in a lot of his recent roles? I just get this inherent smugness which I'm starting to really dislike. More work like the Ninth Gate would set him back on the path of the righteous in my book.

Feraud

Bartender
Agreed. A couple of modern day alcoholics solving crimes doesn't sound too appealing.
The original Thin Man at least has great eye candy in terms of clothing, cars, and a supporting cast of Damon Runyonesque shady characters. ;)

RBH

Bartender
According to Rob Marshall...

"Its going to be a re-imagining of The Thin Man," says Marshall. "We're writing it now and Johnny is also co-producing. It will be set in the Thirties but we'll do our own version. I would never take The Thin Man out of that era of speakeasys, Martinis and murder...."

Effingham

A-List Customer
If they transfer it to modern times, I won't watch it. What would be the point?

Indeed -- it would be horribly politically incorrect.

"Nick, I heard you retired."

"My wife inherited a railroad. I manage it for her."

And all the drinking.

It wouldn't work as a contemporary piece. Not unless they... >gulp<.... CHANGE it.

Feraud

Bartender
According to Rob Marshall...

"Its going to be a re-imagining of The Thin Man," says Marshall. "We're writing it now and Johnny is also co-producing. It will be set in the Thirties but we'll do our own version. I would never take The Thin Man out of that era of speakeasys, Martinis and murder...."
I dislike the the term re-imagining but reading they are keeping it in the 30s and in the context of excessive booze and murder is reassuring. :)

caul

New in Town
The other day I thought of someone that might be able to pay Nora- Parker Posey. I think she would look great in the style of the era and I think she could really pull off the deadpan humor.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
The other day I thought of someone that might be able to pay Nora- Parker Posey. I think she would look great in the style of the era and I think she could really pull off the deadpan humor.
I think Drew Barrymore could make it work as Nora.

Feraud

Bartender
Parker Posey would make an interesting casting choice. I also think she could pull off the style and humor required for the part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk