Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp's Latest Hat...

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
"pre-distressed" is the normal in the "instant gratification society" that we are unfortunate to live in. The young are in such a hurry to arrive that they totally miss the trip.

...it's not just the young. Teenagers and twenty somethings aren't buying several thousand dollar Fender guitars. Springsteen doesn't even play his original Fender anymore. He plays a pre-distressed replica.

Don't be so quick to assume things.

RBH

Bartender
I also like the looks of this one.

7hwq.jpg

...It's interesting to see how deeply most of us feel about a beat-up hat.

Although, I am always a little surprised to see "shabby chic" items being sold for more than one in good repair. However, if we apply the Japanese aesthetic ideas of "wabi-sabi," we may decide that the old beater is far more beautiful than the shiny new item, since the wear, tear, and patches on the old one testify to its long life, usefulness, and the value it has for those who have repaired rather than replaced it. The idea makes sense to me when I'm looking at Raku pottery or a Zen garden. But I've never thought to apply to a ht until just now.

I'll have to put on my "thinking cap" and consider...
I found this to be an interesting observation, and well worth considering. I am one of those who sees the beauty in a well-used "beater" hat (or an old pair of shoes or boots, or an appears-to-be-on-it's-way-to-the-junkyard automobile), but I realize they're not to everyone's liking.

...The young are in such a hurry to arrive that they totally miss the trip.
This is painting "the young" with a broad brush, but it sure applies to some young people (and older people) I've known...and, admittedly, probably applied to me at times in my younger years. Surely observations such as this were the genesis of the phrase, "Stop and smell the roses."

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
My kids are probably missing my trip, but I'm not too worried. They're taking their own.

I can certainly see the appeal of a pre-distressed hat, especially down there in Venice Beach, CA, where much of "Hollywood" lives. I have gotten the impression that pre-distressing is more involved process, like lab-creating the effects, basically painting and bleaching, and thus is not a "dirty" hat in the first place. I will say that I do enjoy a true distressed hat more, whether I or a previous owner did it.

I like this guy's work!

I also like pretty much everything Depp puts on his head, including the Wonka hat (though I'm not sure I'd wear that hair).

How wide do you all think that new hat's brim is? I'm guessing over 3", maybe 3 1/4". I can't imagine wearing such a wide brim snapped down in front. I think Mr. Depp was right on wearing it with a bit of upturn or uneven snap.

Oh yeah! Rusty and G-- that's a nice one!

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
So ya'll mean to imply,..that if I was to buy those disgusting, scroungy, runned-over old hats I always pass on at my local antiques mall, I could sell them for huge profits because there's a real market for that sort of thing??

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Bet 'ya could in Venice Beach! Especially if you can custom fit it to a customer's specs using 100% beaver fur, as it seems Mr. Fouquet does.

So ya'll mean to imply,..that if I was to buy those disgusting, scroungy, runned-over old hats I always pass on at my local antiques mall, I could sell them for huge profits because there's a real market for that sort of thing??
I don't know about "huge" profits, but you could probably pocket some decent lunch money if you found the right buyers.

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
If I had a hat like the one most recently quoted in post #71, I would certainly wear it with certain outfits. It's beautiful in it's own way. That's a hat that looks like it's got a story to tell. But I've only been wearing fedoras for less than a decade. So none of my hats look like that. Yet. I would never consider buying a hat like that. It will be great one day, when I have hats that have our story to tell. (the hat and I) I feel like whoever said a store bought pre-distressed one is just a costume was spot on. Even if the hat came by the "distress" honestly, over the years, it's still got someone else's story to tell. Not the wearers. It would look fine with some broken in jeans and a work shirt, but too often I see something like that worn with an outfit fit for an evening out on the town. OK, Johnny Depp could pull it off, but honestly, how many people are Johnny Depp?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Lt Tom.

I agree completely, I don't buy distressed hats, holsters, or other items. I'm ESPECIALLY good at distressing Sunbody hats. Dry those puppies out and set on them, that'll show those darn hats. When buying a summer hat, like a Sunbody, it's important to buy the ribbon in a color that will show sweat stains to the maximum contrast...

later

If I had a hat like the one most recently quoted in post #71, I would certainly wear it with certain outfits. It's beautiful in it's own way. That's a hat that looks like it's got a story to tell. But I've only been wearing fedoras for less than a decade. So none of my hats look like that. Yet. I would never consider buying a hat like that. It will be great one day, when I have hats that have our story to tell. (the hat and I) I feel like whoever said a store bought pre-distressed one is just a costume was spot on. Even if the hat came by the "distress" honestly, over the years, it's still got someone else's story to tell. Not the wearers.
Well stated Lt. Tom! And it's one of the reasons I've been enjoying wearing my hats so much lately--I'm looking forward to the day they/we have their/our own stories to tell.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If I had a hat like the one most recently quoted in post #71, I would certainly wear it with certain outfits. It's beautiful in it's own way. That's a hat that looks like it's got a story to tell. But I've only been wearing fedoras for less than a decade. So none of my hats look like that. Yet. I would never consider buying a hat like that. It will be great one day, when I have hats that have our story to tell. (the hat and I) I feel like whoever said a store bought pre-distressed one is just a costume was spot on. Even if the hat came by the "distress" honestly, over the years, it's still got someone else's story to tell. Not the wearers. It would look fine with some broken in jeans and a work shirt, but too often I see something like that worn with an outfit fit for an evening out on the town. OK, Johnny Depp could pull it off, but honestly, how many people are Johnny Depp?

I think it's easy to over think these things. What we like is a question of personal aesthetic taste. I've worn felt hats for 30 years - I don't care who made it, how old it is or who wore it before me - if I like it I wear it; if I don't, I won't.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
simple as that!

So, incidentally, Nick Fouquet appears to have made Pharrell's (the second one) and Madonna's hats that were worn at the Grammys.

Also just saw a few article clippings that price him from $290 (presumably for caps) to about $800 for a wide brim. Wow!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The Mail!?.....really, Edward.....:rolleyes:

How'd I miss that story....:p

lol I know, I know.... but, see, I needed to be told who to hate this week and/or find out what's going to give me cancer this time.... ;)

Edward - a nice looking hat but I hope you washed your hands and soul clean after visiting that web site.

Ha.... I see it as a test of my commitment to press freedom. If I can stomach the existence of that tripe, then I'm standing on principle.... (I still wear my "Hated by the Daily Mail" badge with pride, though. Quite literally.)

simple as that!

So, incidentally, Nick Fouquet appears to have made Pharrell's (the second one) and Madonna's hats that were worn at the Grammys.

Also just saw a few article clippings that price him from $290 (presumably for caps) to about $800 for a wide brim. Wow!

Pricey enough, though I've seen many custom hat ads chasing those prices. Not really out of the ordinary (certainly less than some people reputedly paid for Philip Treacy to make them a model of a toliet seat with a headband... ;) ).

I genuinely really like Depp's hat in the OP. It's a tocuh theatrical / costumey, maybe, but that doesn't bother me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic