Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny's Custom Hatters

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
A bump & a Pic.

JohnnysCustomHatters.jpg

Johnnys.jpg

Johnnys1.jpg

JohnnysLongviewTX.jpg

Nope, never heard of 'em.

But, coincidentally, Longview, Texas happens also to be where Hatco (Stetson Resistol, Dobbs) has its body-felting plant. Or so I've been told.

Michael Bonner

New in Town
I've been pleased

I have three hats from him. Owner is Ronnie. Shop is very "old fashoned" and folksy. 'Has an old fashoned conformer, and will get your fit right. He does mostly westerns, and is very reasonably priced. Service is relatively rapid, about five weeks for each of my hats. Hat will be western-stiff unless you ask for a soft felt. "Fedora" will have a distinctly western look to it, which I found quite appealing, actually. Hats are well made and rugged. Ronnie can't (or won't?) do a bound brim. He has a lot of low end panama's and straws, and worked very hard to get one to fit my odd head.

Having said all that, the hats are not up to Art Fawcett's standard of beauty and quality (but then, who is?).

Sorry I can't post any pictures.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll stop in next time I visit my Sis and "just look" at maybe getting a custom hat. You know just think about it. No really, not buying this time just looking..............;)

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Nice lid, St.Ignatz. It could easily be mistaken for a nice vintage Stetson Open Road.

Michael Bonner said:
Ronnie can't (or won't?) do a bound brim.
That's odd, Michael; St.Ignatz's hat has a bound brim.

Wolfmanjack said:
Nice lid, St.Ignatz. It could easily be mistaken for a nice vintage Stetson Open Road.

That's odd, Michael; St.Ignatz's hat has a bound brim.
Think it may be an OR that Johnny's Custom Hatters renovated with new lining & sweatband? I have a couple of Stetson & Resistols that were reworked by a couple of hatters with reblocking, lining, ribbons & sweatbands. You would think they were custom hats to look at them...

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
Think it may be an OR that Johnny's Custom Hatters renovated with new lining & sweatband? I have a couple of Stetson & Resistols that were reworked by a couple of hatters with reblocking, lining, ribbons & sweatbands. You would think they were custom hats to look at them...

Yep gtdean48, I'll bet you're right about that.

I am really hankerin' for a vintage OR. Such a versatile lid. You can leave it with a cattleman's crease and the brim up LBJ style, bash it into a C-crown and snap the brim like a Stratoliner, plus lots of other combinations.

Unfortunately, they go for big bucks on OFAS.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
The story get's better. I've been looking for a 7 5/8 LO. I saw two Dobb's on e-bay. A beat up brown one with blind moth munches on the bottom of the brim that can't be seen, quality leather sweat and an intact feather I'm guessing early 1960's. The second is a newer gray with a leather composite sweat. Still has some years on it mind you. Great shape but I overbid on them as usual. The seller said there was a surprise gift with them...............yep the OR. I think the OR is an easy 35+ years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy