Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Custom Aviator Style in Bison

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
And here are the close up pictures, this should show clearly how well contructed this jacket is, I do not think I need to add anything here. The fit we aready discussed and saw.

The jacket weighs 4.06 kg / 8.95lbs with the collar on, it is my heaviest jacket to date. No wonder Alan told me the leather was on the plump side. but as I mentionned earlier, I would have never guessed it is my heaviest jacket just from wearing it, the weight is perfectly dirstibuted. Can't wait for the weather to cool and start using it on a daily basis to see how it feels. I have finally sobered up from our first meeting, so I can write in a more objective manner lol

The leather is fantastic, I fell in love with it when Alan sent me the pictures of the samples, he did offer to send them over, but I thought it was not necessary. From the pics I knew they were special, and knowing that the Johnson Leather team is looking after me, I did not have to worry. That being said there are some other really beautiful colours in Bison, namely for me, a deep violet I could see in an East West style jacket in the future...
The leather is pliable but still retails some shape, nowhere near as pliable as deer, but not stiff either.

Enough talk, here the pics!

FMfMlgA.jpg

H2F975b.jpg

Fn2LI0e.jpg

1o25Tc1.jpg

I did not specify the buttons, they matched them for me so well! :)
DrGxIWL.jpg

I really like how the different hides are matched together
ZAYPOSo.jpg

cyRip3b.jpg

9B8kqCU.jpg

P1qevhy.jpg

The contrast in colours is accurate enough
zmooRrl.jpg

After seeing this, you can understand why I would have other jackets in the works with Johnson leathers :D

That is one very nice jacket! That collar!

I just want to further point out the small things JL does better than others:
1) No seams in the middle of the side gussets, this makes the sides fit more comfortable.
2) That small taper (on the inside) at the start of the zipper means its a lot easier to zip up, while still wind resistant on the outside. JL is the only one that does this. I hope I am not leaking their secret sauce recipe.
3) The pleat in the lining provides better movement. Although yours looks sewn shut. Vanson also does this. And so is my stock JL M500.

The JL advanatage list goes on and on, shorter front length bigger collar so it doesn't choke you out while in motoring position, and true wind tight wrist (same as Vanson though).

This aviator looks excellent and will function just as well. I can see the motivation to do more projects with JL base off this result. I am in the same boat after getting my M500. Lol.

Image2.jpg
IMG_4189.jpg

kazuma

New in Town
Wow great looking and beefy jacket. I plan on saving up on getting something from Alan one day since he isn't very far away from me. Seems like he has quite a selection of leathers to choose from.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is one very nice jacket! That collar!

I just want to further point out the small things JL does better than others:
1) No seams in the middle of the side gussets, this makes the sides fit more comfortable.
2) That small taper (on the inside) at the start of the zipper means its a lot easier to zip up, while still wind resistant on the outside. JL is the only one that does this. I hope I am not leaking their secret sauce recipe.
3) The pleat in the lining provides better movement. Although yours looks sewn shut. Vanson also does this. And so is my stock JL M500.

The JL advanatage list goes on and on, shorter front length bigger collar so it doesn't choke you out while in motoring position, and true wind tight wrist (same as Vanson though).

This aviator looks excellent and will function just as well. I can see the motivation to do more projects with JL base off this result. I am in the same boat after getting my M500. Lol.

View attachment 347956 View attachment 347957

Thanks! Always enjoys these observations, you have sharp eyes! The pleat moves, I have the same in my red Thedi. Males difference in the feel of the jacket.
Didn't know what the zip taper was for, thanks for pointing it out :)

Wow great looking and beefy jacket. I plan on saving up on getting something from Alan one day since he isn't very far away from me. Seems like he has quite a selection of leathers to choose from.

They can get almost anything you want, definitely worth visiting if you're withing driving distance.

To add some balance I will say that while I trend towards enjoying your adventurous jacket choices this design falls really flat with me.

It is an acquired taste, same as the 10 buttons leathertogs, I didn't like it at first, and then with time, my feelings changed regarding it. It is always interesting to see where we will end up in this hobby. I know it is an odd looking jacket, as it seem to bring quite a mix of reactions from people on the streets lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24