Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson leather Horween 6oz cxl overdye D-pocket and 4.5 -5oz CXL natural LeatherTogs project

you are not wrong, while sleeves turn into brownish, the front and back panel is still black/blue, very interesting.
Yep. I think any of the wear points will show brown quite quickly indeed. The larger flat panels will take more time. Which is great because you’ll have root beer foam in some spots and the dark bottom of the glass in others.

Perhaps one day it would look like this....

img_1281.jpg img_1280.jpg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
The overdye goes to light brown extremely fast. I’ve had 3 jackets in it. One from Nick, one from Terry and my own (now HH’s). Within a few weeks of wear the seemingly black jacket looked like this,
New:
View attachment 259348
maybe 1 month with fairly regular wear:
View attachment 259349
It looks nice, can't wait to get mine. Very interesting how fast that color changes. Kind of like the Japanese stuff I see on instagram a lot.

you are not wrong, while sleeves turn into brownish, the front and back panel is still black/blue, very interesting.
Yep, glad to know some members here have tried that hide before.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
How many years did that take to get that patina? I don't ride so, I know it will be longer for me. Hope you still have that jacket, that's how I want mine to look.
There was a member here called A1, he wore 1 blackened brown (shinki?) jacket for a year, he didnt seem like a motorcyclist too, and ended up with more or less that look. Black through and through jacket probably take a lot more to change color.

Hh121

Banned
Anyone ordered JL overdye should at least ask 4oz, the leather is so soft and hugs your body.
For LW horsehide I wouldn't want go over 4.5 oz, but for JL overdye I can go as far as 7oz.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
There was a member here called A1, he wore 1 blackened brown (shinki?) jacket for a year, he didnt seem like a motorcyclist too, and ended up with more or less that look. Black through and through jacket probably take a lot more to change color.

Thanks for the heads up, I looked it up and hope I can get anywhere near that wear. I've a few jackets on order so i won't be dedicate all my time with one jacket.

Anyone ordered JL overdye should at least ask 4oz, the leather is so soft and hugs your body.
For LW horsehide I wouldn't want go over 4.5 oz, but for JL overdye I can go as far as 7oz.

That is crazy nice but probably too much for me but I'll try a heavy steerhide for my next project jacket.

I requested ripstop as my liner but I'm second guessing myself. I want a lightweight liner but not cotton, Should I switch it up to rayon/cupro/silk?

Hh121

Banned
Thanks for the heads up, I looked it up and hope I can get anywhere near that wear. I've a few jackets on order so i won't be dedicate all my time with one jacket.

That is crazy nice but probably too much for me but I'll try a heavy steerhide for my next project jacket.

I requested ripstop as my liner but I'm second guessing myself. I want a lightweight liner but not cotton, Should I switch it up to rayon/cupro/silk?
Heavy satin is a good choice I think.

How many years did that take to get that patina? I don't ride so, I know it will be longer for me. Hope you still have that jacket, that's how I want mine to look.

Not my jacket but it belonged to a member here several years ago. He had just gotten it relined as per photo so the jacket had been used for quite awhile. I saved this pic because I liked the patina.
HD

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Not my jacket but it belonged to a member here several years ago. He had just gotten it relined as per photo so the jacket had been used for quite awhile. I saved this pic because I liked the patina.
HD
Th anks! Definitely a great visual reminder of what could be if you wear something long enough.

roadking04

Practically Family
The overdye goes to light brown extremely fast. I’ve had 3 jackets in it. One from Nick, one from Terry and my own (now HH’s). Within a few weeks of wear the seemingly black jacket looked like this

Thanks for your insight Ton. I have an overdye jacket on order also. My question is this. If it turns brown too quickly, is it possibly to have it redyed? Anyone have experience with this? What would future patina look like on a redye?

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Th anks! Definitely a great visual reminder of what could be if you wear something long enough.
I think it's Connolly Steerhide, they’re out of business (they used to make the leather for Rolls Royce interiors). There was one on the classifieds here a while back. Wear it hard for twenty years and it might end up like that one!

Last edited:

Psant25

One Too Many

My chp from JL i went with their heavy black silk i think they call it. Glad I did I like it better than quilted and also their cotton drill type

Hh121

Banned
My chp from JL i went with their heavy black silk i think they call it. Glad I did I like it better than quilted and also their cotton drill type
can you elaborate why it is better than quilted and cotton fabric?

Psant25

One Too Many
can you elaborate why it is better than quilted and cotton fabric?
Really just subjective for the most part. I feel the the quilting is a little to puffy for my taste. The silk lining just slides off and on so smooth. One JL was cotton body and silk sleeves. That was easy on and off. I just prefer the same lining throughout. Cant comment on the durability as I cannot seem to keep a jacket long enough

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy