Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Psant25

One Too Many
Took my black Masaye HH jacket back to JL today when I picked up my Aero that was being altered. JL offered a remake of the jacket but I said no as the jacket fits me so nicely and I've pretty much completely breaked it in. So they said okay to adding a bottom waist band. Also started my next project with them a Eastman Luftwaffe inspired jacket made from seal brown Horween Vermont with riri zippers.

Photos of the Aero with the mouton collar, they did a superb job adding the collar and trimming the jacket by 2" chest/waist/hem

View attachment 303242

View attachment 303241

A little extra bonus lol

View attachment 303240
Yeah that looks great man. Do you know where they took the leather from? More difficult with the side panels compared to a single seam at the side i think when taking material out. I had that issue with my aero highwayman. If they took 1 inch off each side panel they were going to have to do something where it meets the arm hole. I was going to maybe add underarm gusset. Or they were maybe going to just take the material from the back panel each side.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Yeah that looks great man. Do you know where they took the leather from? More difficult with the side panels compared to a single seam at the side i think when taking material out. I had that issue with my aero highwayman. If they took 1 inch off each side panel they were going to have to do something where it meets the arm hole. I was going to maybe add underarm gusset. Or they were maybe going to just take the material from the back panel each side.

From what I can tell for sure is that they removed excess leather from the side panel. They took about 1" off each side panel. But maybe they also tapered the back panel some to Balance it out who knows. Damon mentioned the whole armhole thing too but I didn't get it I just went ahead and went for it anyways lol

Cornelius

Practically Family
Good on JL for offering to remake the jacket (though I understand why you would prefer for it to simply be modified). Your experience is exactly why I ask the boring question "So... how does this handle the rain?" every time someone on here gets excited about a new leather option from some favored maker. If I spend usd$1-1,500 on a jacket, I'd like to be able to wear it out in any sort of weather without concern.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Wondering how this jacket is doing today? :)

Go back to page 16 of this thread to catch up but in a nutshell the leather shrank and is now back at JL for repair. They asked me if I want a remake but I said just to add a waist band to lengthen the jacket.

The leather itself looks so much nicer now than when new. Most of the top coat sheen has long buffed out showing more of the grainy side of the jacket. It has molded well to my body shape but shame it also shrank

Good on JL for offering to remake the jacket (though I understand why you would prefer for it to simply be modified). Your experience is exactly why I ask the boring question "So... how does this handle the rain?" every time someone on here gets excited about a new leather option from some favored maker. If I spend usd$1-1,500 on a jacket, I'd like to be able to wear it out in any sort of weather without concern.

JLhas always been good to me so I'm fortunate in that regards. I so get the how does it handle the elements side now and appreciate the tried and tested Leathers that we know of. I'm with you that I want to wear the heck out of a jacket whatever condition I may find myself in.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
@Jin431 , you handled this so calmly. I’d be pretty miserable after the shrinkage. Glad it worked out, however, and the waistband is a great idea.

Is JL going to pre-shrink it?

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
@Jin431 , you handled this so calmly. I’d be pretty miserable after the shrinkage. Glad it worked out, however, and the waistband is a great idea.

Is JL going to pre-shrink it?

Well I knew JL would be pretty good to me like they've always been so I wasn't too concerned. it is a new leather to them too so they probably don't know how it would fair with real world use and my jacket is probably the most well worn one at this point. Yes, the added waist band will just make it look like a HWM which is not a bad look at all

They are soaking some leather up to see how the shrinkage will be. I'll ask them if that is possible so I don't have to worry about the waist band shrinking too.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Good on JL for taking care of it without fuss, and good on you for handling it like a champ. I'd be pretty ticked and defeated thinking that well this wasn't their fault per se, so glad to see it worked out.

Btw your aero looks great man!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Good on JL for taking care of it without fuss, and good on you for handling it like a champ. I'd be pretty ticked and defeated thinking that well this wasn't their fault per se, so glad to see it worked out.

Btw your aero looks great man!

Thanks man, the Aero really looks and fits so much better now. The black Masaye jacket didn't shrink across the shoulder/chest/waist/hem so it still fit me well it's just the length that got affected for some reason. It was still wearable but it's a little too sexy for my liking lol

What's the update on your overdye car coat?

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Thanks man, the Aero really looks and fits so much better now. The black Masaye jacket didn't shrink across the shoulder/chest/waist/hem so it still fit me well it's just the length that got affected for some reason. It was still wearable but it's a little too sexy for my liking lol

What's the update on your overdye car coat?

No updates yet, machine was still down before they had to close down, looks like they're reopened, I'll follow up with them this week and see whats up.

Hh121

Banned
I just noticed your two JL are constructed without side panel like A2, Is the movement good on both jackets? How do you compare with your other jacket that has side panel?

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
I know on my cxl that doesn't have the side panels, the forward reach movement is very good, but the jumping jack motion like putting your hands up is very limited, but I think it's more of a function of the bigger and therefore lower arm holes since I was going for a looser fit. I think in the future I'll spex higher arm holes, footballs, maybe even side panels.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I know on my cxl that doesn't have the side panels, the forward reach movement is very good, but the jumping jack motion like putting your hands up is very limited, but I think it's more of a function of the bigger and therefore lower arm holes since I was going for a looser fit. I think in the future I'll spex higher arm holes, footballs, maybe even side panels.

Oh man! I’d forgotten about your jacket - I’d love to see some picks of how it’s breaking in

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Oh man! I’d forgotten about your jacket - I’d love to see some picks of how it’s breaking in

It's not, I barely get opportunities to wear it. The arms are creasing nicely and it doesn't stand on its own as easily anymore, but largely looks the same.

I'm contemplating slimming it down, I mean I wanted the space so I can layer it up, but then it's still plenty warm for 95% of the time with just a t shirt, still debating.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
JL should market this as Shrink to Fit leather jacket

unlined or free floating liner (hickory striped etc that raw denim bros would love), modified type2 with front pleats patch pocket with curved shape and curved pocket flap (without waist band and back pleats), generous shirt collar or shawl collar, brass/ copper buttons, reinforced button placket so it doesn't shrink as much, the hem will naturally curved and have a drop toward the reinforced button edge that doesn't shrink as much. in indigo overdye brown core shrinking leather

Handymike would be happy, raw denim folks would have nose bleed upon hearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner