Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Cornelius

Practically Family
Looks pretty dry to me:

7b9XNmz.png

I suspect he means more the Gulf Coast of Texas [Houston on down to Beaumont, Corpus Christi, etc] and not south central, which is much more arid.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Interesting about the rain @Carlos840

So yes, much less likely for me to worry about getting caught in a drizzle or light rain.

Also it seems like for you, changing plans due to light frequent showers would be big disruption in response to small-ish environmental change.

@TheDonEffect here are some I took last Friday and a bit ago that show the character and flexible temper of the leather pretty well. @JCSD also got a jacket in the same Horween Vermont, he took some pro shots of the leather which really show it off.

9568B785-B6FA-4A93-A233-31476E810850.jpeg
F670F98F-3594-4C7D-9858-A5B36CFD0E3E.jpeg
77BB9A9B-566C-4C68-8B9B-2B387E91289D.jpeg
61317604-4D28-4AD0-BE2F-972EEDAE7F1A.jpeg
A193DDFC-036E-47BC-9160-9F9A4D60C6B9.jpeg
69720CFA-C095-40B4-952D-25E3B22238BB.jpeg

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab

So yes, much less likely for me to worry about getting caught in a drizzle or light rain.

Also it seems like for you, changing plans due to light frequent showers would be big disruption in response to small-ish environmental change.

@TheDonEffect here are some I took last Friday and a bit ago that show the character and flexible temper of the leather pretty well. @JCSD also got a jacket in the same Horween Vermont, he took some pro shots of the leather which really show it off.

View attachment 364848 View attachment 364849 View attachment 364850 View attachment 364852 View attachment 364853 View attachment 364854
Pretty cool jacket and the leather looks fantastic! JL seems to make really nice stuff....I still regret that I didn't visit them while I was in San Francisco end of 2019. I've never handled Horween Vermont before and have no idea how it feels compared to other known leathers.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Pretty cool jacket and the leather looks fantastic! JL seems to make really nice stuff....I still regret that I didn't visit them while I was in San Francisco end of 2019. I've never handled Horween Vermont before and have no idea how it feels compared to other known leathers.

It’s has soft temper, not at all stiff. Comfortable mid weight. It’s very easy-wearing with no break in.

As for water I haven’t gotten mine wet yet so nothing to share there.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
It’s has soft temper, not at all stiff. Comfortable mid weight. It’s very easy-wearing with no break in.

As for water I haven’t gotten mine wet yet so nothing to share there.

I have a little Vermont sample here somewhere that I can soak and abuse, if you guys want. That and the Milan are Horween’s best kept secrets, IMO.

Thanks guys for your feedback and recommendations! Maybe, some day I'll contact JL ;)

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Looks great! Now let’s put some miles on it!
As is yours and it will eventually have some wear on it lol it's on the regular rotation for sure

That said, @Jin431, how does that Seal Vermont react to water? It's veg tanned, right? And from Horween? I imagine it might just soak it up. I'm curious to hear about other rain-resilient leather options for such a style, especially from Horween or other US tanneries [simply in the interest of keeping them in business]. I know we of course have CXL, but what else is there out there?
according to Horween tannage list the Vermont is a full grain straight veg tanned tumbled smooth leather. it has a pigment finish for sure so it repels water well, i tried to wet the sleeves over the faucet for about 5 mins to set the creases but it barely got damp so I may have to soak the sleeves in a tub of water to do so.

I'm looking into other Horween articles such as Essex (aniline veg tan smooth leather), Dublin (same as Essex but waxy finish) and brown Milan HH.

Need more photos especially of the leather! Impressions?
leather is midweight, soft hand feel but feels sturdy against abrasions, very easy to wear, the sleeve folds/creases won't form as easily though. it can be a daily wear type for sure and can probably be a all year round option for the Bay Area

here's close up photos of the hide.

Attachments

• IMG_6244.jpg
    IMG_6244.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 736
  • IMG_6243.jpg
    IMG_6243.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 800
  • IMG_6245.jpg
    IMG_6245.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 843

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Wow, one of the nicest looking leather jackets you own - on par with your Mulholland jackets IMO!

thanks @Robbie79, it is definitely my best JL yet plus color wise it's so different with the FW so it's a very welcome option to have. I'm having a padded cross zip CHP with detachable honey brown mouton collar made out of black Shinki and that might take the cake over this one lol

View attachment 364848 View attachment 364849 View attachment 364850 View attachment 364852 View attachment 364853 View attachment 364854
seeing the brass hardware look so good with this hide makes me a little jealous and sad at the same time lol they have a display in the shop of your pattern in a burgundy cowhide that looked so good

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

Loved the smile!
And Horween Vermont is awesome. Like @Pandemic said, it's one of the most underrated leather out there. It has more depth than some aniline hides.
JL really does those band collars well. Can't wait to get mine!

Goel

A-List Customer
Haven't gotten mine yet but still a bit iffy on the Vermont leather. From the water test I did on my sample it did leave a dark spot.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Goel Vermont is veg tanned leather that hasn't been sanded down much. It will show patina and age. That's kinda the best part! But if you're looking for leather that keeps its appearance without much maintenance, JL also has an assortment of chrome tanned steer hides. I believe that's what the Police contracts would ask for.
Are you concerned that water leaves a mark when the Vermont is wet? or when it dries? The wet water mark would be visible when wet, but no so when it dries. Is this your experience as well?

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I would not worry about a dark spot unless it's a lighter shade of a color plus it will even out once wet completely. if you pick the seal Vermont it repels water quite well from what I can tell from when I tried to wet my jacket since it has a top finish

ericsanpablo31

One of the Regulars
I used to have a Vermont Espresso jacket, I think which is a bit lighter than the recent darker seal versions around. If I recall correctly, that one did get water spots/darker when it got wet enough, but back to normal after drying. It was a beautiful leather though, very lightweight and easy-wearing but with character. The only thing that makes me hesitate a bit about JL is that the fit seems to be hit or miss (I've seen some great fits to be fair, but the less inspiring ones seem more common to me)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21