Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Goel

A-List Customer
@Goel Vermont is veg tanned leather that hasn't been sanded down much. It will show patina and age. That's kinda the best part! But if you're looking for leather that keeps its appearance without much maintenance, JL also has an assortment of chrome tanned steer hides. I believe that's what the Police contracts would ask for.
Are you concerned that water leaves a mark when the Vermont is wet? or when it dries? The wet water mark would be visible when wet, but no so when it dries. Is this your experience as well?

Actually, I just checked my sample and while the spot is gone it does have a different texture in the spot where the water was. I'm not concerned as much about color as upkeep and durability... I probably should stick to chrome tans but I wanted to try something different.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
JL MP500 with a little Lewis influence:

5AD52925-7020-44FE-8D5D-5067FA2DEF2E.jpeg
518B17E0-B918-4259-9B25-D49034C4A395.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This is all JL, all I did was asked for different pockets. It's really a hidden gem for leather shop. The padded pattern is the same they do for the Bay area police contracts (MP500 its called I believe, learned this from Jin431 Thanks!). I just sent them some leather the police wouldn't ask for. Lol. It's just regular Horween cowhide in a slate color, between 4 to 5oz. I was really impressed with my last 4/5oz deer M500 I wanted/needed more.
My theory is that after years of competing for the local police contracts, the M(P)500 pattern has evolved to a point where it's near perfection so they can win the contracts over their competitors. There are so many small things that JL did that adds to the comfort and functions of this pattern. I will know for sure when I get the second one to compare. Heavy box, but I think they are sending me back the extra leather. This should only be a 6.5lb to 7 lb jacket I believe, my deer in same thickness only weighed 6.5 lbs. The LW J24 in horsehide weighs 8.5 lbs in comparison. So horse hides do weigh more at the same thickness.
Image1.jpg

My last stock pattern M500 in deer (sorry it came in mid summer so shorts it was for fit pics)
Johnson M500 Fit Deerskin 00.jpg

The biggest comfort comes from the weight distribution. My other jackets, the weight is mostly on the shoulder/upper back. The M(P) 500 is distributed throughout the entire torso, making it very balanced. I would think so because the cops would complain with all their gear they have to lug around every shift. The shoulder actually moves outward when I move, and the weight of the jacket disappears because it is carried by my entire torso. Maybe this is a police jacket pattern thing. I don't know. I have not owned any police jackets before this. Police jacket owners please chime in. But it trumps all others in comfort the second I put it on. Hence my desire/need for more. I will know for sure when I get the second one if this was just a one time thing or if the pattern is this good. But so far very impressed.
@Mrfrown And yes the JL quilt is very warm. Tested it at 4 degrees C last week with just a polo shirt underneath. It's also cool enough when its fully opened. I learned from my Golden Bear jackets the quilt lining actually has a big range of temperature. Can really go from early fall all the way to next spring.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is all JL, all I did was asked for different pockets. It's really a hidden gem for leather shop. The padded pattern is the same they do for the Bay area police contracts (MP500 its called I believe, learned this from Jin431 Thanks!). I just sent them some leather the police wouldn't ask for. Lol. It's just regular Horween cowhide in a slate color, between 4 to 5oz. I was really impressed with my last 4/5oz deer M500 I wanted/needed more.
My theory is that after years of competing for the local police contracts, the M(P)500 pattern has evolved to a point where it's near perfection so they can win the contracts over their competitors. There are so many small things that JL did that adds to the comfort and functions of this pattern. I will know for sure when I get the second one to compare. Heavy box, but I think they are sending me back the extra leather. This should only be a 6.5lb to 7 lb jacket I believe, my deer in same thickness only weighed 6.5 lbs. The LW J24 in horsehide weighs 8.5 lbs in comparison. So horse hides do weigh more at the same thickness.
View attachment 371745
My last stock pattern M500 in deer (sorry it came in mid summer so shorts it was for fit pics)
View attachment 371747
The biggest comfort comes from the weight distribution. My other jackets, the weight is mostly on the shoulder/upper back. The M(P) 500 is distributed throughout the entire torso, making it very balanced. I would think so because the cops would complain with all their gear they have to lug around every shift. The shoulder actually moves outward when I move, and the weight of the jacket disappears because it is carried by my entire torso. Maybe this is a police jacket pattern thing. I don't know. I have not owned any police jackets before this. Police jacket owners please chime in. But it trumps all others in comfort the second I put it on. Hence my desire/need for more. I will know for sure when I get the second one if this was just a one time thing or if the pattern is this good. But so far very impressed.
@Mrfrown And yes the JL quilt is very warm. Tested it at 4 degrees C last week with just a polo shirt underneath. It's also cool enough when its fully opened. I learned from my Golden Bear jackets the quilt lining actually has a big range of temperature. Can really go from early fall all the way to next spring.

I have the arnoured version of the MC-500 here in a functional cowhide, it is very confortable. So I suspect yours will be as good as the original one:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/johnson-leathers-black-cowhide-mc-500.102488/

I really like JL, they don't seem to have any limits so far. They have accepted all of my wildest ideas so far lol

Mrfrown

One Too Many

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have the arnoured version of the MC-500 here in a functional cowhide, it is very confortable. So I suspect yours will be as good as the original one:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/johnson-leathers-black-cowhide-mc-500.102488/

I really like JL, they don't seem to have any limits so far. They have accepted all of my wildest ideas so far lol

I totally missed that one! Very nice MC500. I was wondering how you got to the Peter's Aviator JL jacket. One of the best JL I've seen btw.

JL is really interesting little shop. They do anything from police jackets to collab work with fashion brands like Beams and Comme des Garcons. They got that West Coast spirit.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I totally missed that one! Very nice MC500. I was wondering how you got to the Peter's Aviator JL jacket. One of the best JL I've seen btw.

JL is really interesting little shop. They do anything from police jackets to collab work with fashion brands like Beams and Comme des Garcons. They got that West Coast spirit.

I initially contacted Alan from JL for another idea. But after discussing it at lenth decided not to go for it. So I asked him if he was willing to make that aviator jacket with a few modifications such as the british style side straps instead of the laces. After two mockups, I got the first one in burgundy CXL. It is a great jacket, only I lost a lot of weight after getting it, so I am planning to bring it to the shop to bring it in. The second one was the MC500 with forcefield armour. Third one is the bison aviator with a few tweaks over the first one. Fourh jacket is completed and waiting for me at the shop - I want to get personally. Fifth one has a mock up to come. Sixth one is an idea I am cogitating. :)

roadking04

Practically Family
Hi guys. For all you guys with detachable collars from JL, how are they attached? I am assuming they use snaps? How many? How do you like it? Just looking for a little info about JL's collars. Thanks.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys. For all you guys with detachable collars from JL, how are they attached? I am assuming they use snaps? How many? How do you like it? Just looking for a little info about JL's collars. Thanks.
hey brother, I had them make 3 detachable collars already. They can use snaps or buttons depending on your preference. I quite like how the fur collar is made wider so it rests better on the shoulders and they make it that it's comfy to wear and no irritation in the back of the nEck. The fur is quite dense and soft and it's not scratchy on the skin.

The first one was made for an Aero Bootlegger, it had 6 snaps in total (I think that's more than enough for a non rider like myself and probably could have got away with 5). It was made well and hardware seemed durable and very easy to use.

IMG_0908.jpg

The second one was for an old Staight zip cal that didn't have its original fur collar, it already had the studs in place so it was a pretty straightforward job.

IMG_5592.jpg

The 3rd one was made for my recent cyclist jacket, we tried using buttons This time around. there is a total of 6 buttons (3 inner collar, 3 outer collar) it works and looks cleaner but it's not easy to attach/detach so there's that to consider. There's also that issue of the button breaking or being undone so there's more that could go wrong with using button closure. Attaching/removing this collar needs patience and it can't be rushed. This is the best fur collared jacket I have, it has the best spread and shape probably because JL designed it and made it for their own collar patterns which they are accustomed to making

IMG_6294.jpg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
@Jin431, Thanks buddy. I was curious about the snaps. It seems like they use more than most makers (my 618 only has 1 in the back). With the fur collar off, do all those snaps bother/rub on your neck at all?

I'm sure you can spec it with however many snaps you prefer but I didn't so they just placed snaps as the see fit. I didn't feel bothered and no rubbing with the studs on the back of my neck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk