Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@MrProper What red devil said. But I would highly recommend going with a leather that you currently do not have in your collection, like thick and soft buffalo or something like that. There is a lot of value in Johnson's police cowhide 3.5oz, but you're already going custom so might as well ask what small batch leather they got on hand now or what's coming to them.

Also I am new to the M200 pattern too. It's the length that gives me anxiety. In my two Johnson experience (M500), my measured back length is 24" from collar down, and 25" ish with collar. Damon from Johnson quotes the back length as 25". So I am guessing they measure with the collar. And he also told me the size 42 M200 is 1.5" shorter than the size 40 M500, and they could add the length to the size 42 M200. You're a tall guy and needs even more length, so best to make sure folks at Johnson knows exactly what you are looking for in length. Hope I didn't make things more complicated.

Their website sucks but check out their Instagram for more photos.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Let's say I want an M-200 or DEL-66 from Johnson leather... what leather and lining would you guys recommend?

yeah what @red devil said, narrow it down for them and you can also supply your own hide if you want to go that route. Horween products is easy for them to source like Vermont/Milan HH and CXL in different weight/finishes/animal hide too. The bison they source is quite nice as well. Not too fond of the regular cowhide/goatskin since it's too plain looking but the naked cowhide feels nice to wear.

Psant25

One Too Many
@MrProper What red devil said. But I would highly recommend going with a leather that you currently do not have in your collection, like thick and soft buffalo or something like that. There is a lot of value in Johnson's police cowhide 3.5oz, but you're already going custom so might as well ask what small batch leather they got on hand now or what's coming to them.

Also I am new to the M200 pattern too. It's the length that gives me anxiety. In my two Johnson experience (M500), my measured back length is 24" from collar down, and 25" ish with collar. Damon from Johnson quotes the back length as 25". So I am guessing they measure with the collar. And he also told me the size 42 M200 is 1.5" shorter than the size 40 M500, and they could add the length to the size 42 M200. You're a tall guy and needs even more length, so best to make sure folks at Johnson knows exactly what you are looking for in length. Hope I didn't make things more complicated.

I had made 4-5 m200 variants in size 42. Stock length is like 23.5 collar seam down. Front is straight cut to 1/2 inch drop. Shoulders are wide i think 19.5 plus and neck hole is large. I am 175 lbs 5 ft 11 in 40 chest wear a 42 suit usually. I like a 23 ish pit. I narrow shoulders, add body length, plus or minus sleeve taper. Sleeves are pretty long being an mc jacket. If u narrow 1 inch sh total that is 1/2 inch each side i would not add sleeve length but im not super tall. Also, @navetsea had recommended making the neck opening smaller. I did that on my most recent jacket from them and would continue to do so for an m200 too. @MrProper

edit: i think i sold em all here or listed here and should have specs i can tell ya for that model what i had changed from stock or damon can check if you send him a pic of my jacket should have in my file. Brad from green bay.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But I would highly recommend going with a leather that you currently do not have in your collection, like thick and soft buffalo or something like that

I can certainly vouch for their buffalo, it is different and very cool. Plus they have a good selection of colours

Here is my grey one:
P1qevhy.jpg

Full review here although it is a completely doffernt style from what you are looking for:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/johnson-leather-custom-aviator-style-in-bison.104678/

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Really depends on what you're going for. Their ubiquitous dyed through naked anilines etc in steer, goat, and especially horse are all good. Their steer hides are tried and true, used on all their police contracts, Im liking their cavalier hide more and more. Their naked cowhide was my first and it's super easy wearing and durable.

As mentioned they can get Horween stuff as well. They recently got in milled cxl that's been skived, so it's like normal black cxl overdye only thinner and tumbled to the point it's much softer and broken in. I may or may not have specced it for a jacket...

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Really depends on what you're going for. Their ubiquitous dyed through naked anilines etc in steer, goat, and especially horse are all good. Their steer hides are tried and true, used on all their police contracts, Im liking their cavalier hide more and more. Their naked cowhide was my first and it's super easy wearing and durable.

As mentioned they can get Horween stuff as well. They recently got in milled cxl that's been skived, so it's like normal black cxl overdye only thinner and tumbled to the point it's much softer and broken in. I may or may not have specced it for a jacket...

Do you have any pics of the steer hide? Does it have a strong top coat?

Goel

A-List Customer
I can certainly vouch for their buffalo, it is different and very cool. Plus they have a good selection of colours

Here is my grey one:
P1qevhy.jpg

Full review here although it is a completely doffernt style from what you are looking for:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/johnson-leather-custom-aviator-style-in-bison.104678/

I like the look of that buffalo, but last I recall all of their deer/elk/bison hides were naked finish, not sure if it's the same with this one?

MrProper

First of all, thank you so much for your thoughts. I appreciate it.

They can get (almost?) everything you wish for. so what type of lether do you want?

I don't have a specific reference.
I thought maybe there was a specialty at JL that is a must have.
Since I don't have a CXL at this time, I could see that being a good one. But I could also imagine deer, elk, moose.

buffalo sounds good.
Good hints about the length.
And yes, I definitely need to go custom. Long and slender and thin neck. Lol

yeah what @red devil said, narrow it down for them and you can also supply your own hide if you want to go that route. Horween products is easy for them to source like Vermont/Milan HH and CXL in different weight/finishes/animal hide too. The bison they source is quite nice as well. Not too fond of the regular cowhide/goatskin since it's too plain looking but the naked cowhide feels nice to wear.

Getting my own leather and shipping it to JL is too complicated for me.
Either, what JL can deliver I like (and I assume) or it will not be a JL jacket ;)
I also still need to see if it's all worth it price wise. To the 850 - 1200$ comes about 125$ shipping and on the total amount about 24% customs and Vat + fees.

I had made 4-5 m200 variants in size 42. Stock length is like 23.5 collar seam down. Front is straight cut to 1/2 inch drop. Shoulders are wide i think 19.5 plus and neck hole is large. I am 175 lbs 5 ft 11 in 40 chest wear a 42 suit usually. I like a 23 ish pit. I narrow shoulders, add body length, plus or minus sleeve taper. Sleeves are pretty long being an mc jacket. If u narrow 1 inch sh total that is 1/2 inch each side i would not add sleeve length but im not super tall. Also, @navetsea had recommended making the neck opening smaller. I did that on my most recent jacket from them and would continue to do so for an m200 too. @MrProper

edit: i think i sold em all here or listed here and should have specs i can tell ya for that model what i had changed from stock or damon can check if you send him a pic of my jacket should have in my file. Brad from green bay.
Many thanks about the sizing and the neckhole. I will check this with JL.

Here is my grey one:
P1qevhy.jpg

Really nice. I can well imagine that.

Thanks for that. I will look at more pictures about it.

I like the look of that buffalo, but last I recall all of their deer/elk/bison hides were naked finish, not sure if it's the same with this one?

deer/elk/bison could be also nice. Thanks.

red devil

It doesn't seem to have much of a top coat on it, maybe a waterproofing agent? Haven't tried it under the rain yet

I don't have a specific reference.
I thought maybe there was a specialty at JL that is a must have.
Since I don't have a CXL at this time, I could see that being a good one. But I could also imagine deer, elk, moose.

I don't think they have a specialty, the main point is that they have a wide array of leather and can source a lot more if requested.

You can't go wrong with CXL, my first jacket with them was a HH CXL, and that is my only HH CXL come to think of it. It is not a bad way to start with them :)

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
M500 is a police cross zip with side laces that most local police units wear. MP500 is the padded shoulder/elbow version with diamond quilting. There's even MG500 I think it's the one with the big fancy diamond quilting in the whole back panel, not sure about the MC500 and MB500. These patterns can all be fitted with armor for riders.

Psant25

One Too Many
M500 is a police cross zip with side laces that most local police units wear. MP500 is the padded shoulder/elbow version with diamond quilting. There's even MG500 I think it's the one with the big fancy diamond quilting in the whole back panel, not sure about the MC500 and MB500. These patterns can all be fitted with armor for riders.
My chp is a mc500 variant C standing for Center zip I think

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana