Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I want to order basically this exact jacket in my size. How do I go about doing so with JL?
Just email them, or if you're in San Fran heading down to the store will give you the full on custom jacket.

The Barneveld Remix is a short heavily tapered jacket. Size medium has these measurements:
Shoulder 19.5"
P2P 23"
Hem 19.5" (And this can be further cinched down)
Back length 23.75"
Sleeve length 25"

The way Johnson does the taper is with a curve so it fits tighter than the straight V down. And very high armholes for a very neat fit. Watch the length on this model, it's rather short on the back. The front has decent zipper length, 22"

Barneveld Remix Goat Medium 001.JPG
Barneveld Remix Goat Medium 002.JPG
Barneveld Remix Goat Medium 004.JPG
Barneveld Remix Goat Medium 005.JPG
Barneveld Remix Goat Medium 006.JPG
Barneveld Remix Goat Medium 007.JPG
Barneveld Remix Goat Medium 008.JPG

Observe

Practically Family
Just email them, or if you're in San Fran heading down to the store will give you the full on custom jacket.

The Barneveld Remix is a short heavily tapered jacket. Size medium has these measurements:
Shoulder 19.5"
P2P 23"
Hem 19.5" (And this can be further cinched down)
Back length 23.75"
Sleeve length 25"

The way Johnson does the taper is with a curve so it fits tighter than the straight V down. And very high armholes for a very neat fit. Watch the length on this model, it's rather short on the back. The front has decent zipper length, 22"

View attachment 504733 View attachment 504734 View attachment 504735 View attachment 504737 View attachment 504738 View attachment 504739 View attachment 504740
Thanks, looks like I'd need a large with maybe a touch extra body/sleeve length.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Yes skived steer is still a beast! More pictures after a week of wear. I didn’t change the Remix pattern and I changed the sleeve length, shortened the body and collar measurements for better fit. The plaid wool lining is nice! It was used for a batch of Nepenthes jackets.

View attachment 504548 View attachment 504547 View attachment 504549 View attachment 504550 View attachment 504551 View attachment 504552

Beautiful indeed. I've been kicking the tires on this style of jacket for a minute now, this is not helping things, lol.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
The Barneveld Remix has relaxed collars, and it does give a commanding spread. The size medium comes with 19" around the collar, very wide shoulders (for the tag size) and a very sharp taper down, think Stringer's jacket.
View attachment 504728
Bootsonthetrain luxed it up by what it seems to be an inch trimmed off the collar. For a neater 30s fit. It should still spread like my goatskin one because of how the collar is set in, like the Cals.
This is one of the best ones from Johnson. I'd order my next one with Boots collar tweak.
View attachment 504729
Very similar to the jacket I had made by JL in bison hide. I really like their work

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I’m supposed to head over for work next month. @El Marro you might know best–is it a walk-in kind of situation at JL?

The problem with them, for me anyway, has always been that they offer everything, so I have no idea where to start, what the designs are, etc.

Entropindigo

One of the Regulars
I’m supposed to head over for work next month. @El Marro you might know best–is it a walk-in kind of situation at JL?

The problem with them, for me anyway, has always been that they offer everything, so I have no idea where to start, what the designs are, etc.
Not to jump in, but I've been there a couple times now and they are super nice and very knowledgeable, highly recommend stopping in. Plus, they have a great sale rack where you might find a pretty deep discount, but if not it really helps to try on their jackets. Last time I had to fight the urge to buy a half belt that was a size 44 that I never would've dreamed would fit me, but was perfect for layering or just wearing with a tee. It was $695 and seemed like I would've been stealing the damn thing at that price.

Aloysius

Not to jump in, but I've been there a couple times now and they are super nice and very knowledgeable, highly recommend stopping in. Plus, they have a great sale rack where you might find a pretty deep discount, but if not it really helps to try on their jackets. Last time I had to fight the urge to buy a half belt that was a size 44 that I never would've dreamed would fit me, but was perfect for layering or just wearing with a tee. It was $695 and seemed like I would've been stealing the damn thing at that price.

Fantastic. It’s not jumping in at all! I just didn’t know who else here was from the Bay.

I always figured the first jacket I got from them would be one of those historic Bay Area designs so I’ll probably scroll through past jackets for ideas, maybe one of their Peter’s models.

El Marro

That is how I would do it. Middle of the day during the week if you can so that the shop isn’t too busy, although I have never found that to be a problem even on Saturday.
I hear what you are saying and I’m afraid it’s true, there is way too much variety of leather in too small a space to take in all at once. Fortunately, either Damon or Alan should be there to guide you to the jacket of your dreams.
I suggest doing a deep dive through their Instagram feed before you go, because (just like Langlitz) some of their best offerings are hidden gems that I’ve only seen on Instagram or here on the lounge.

Aloysius

That is how I would do it. Middle of the day during the week if you can so that the shop isn’t too busy, although I have never found that to be a problem even on Saturday.
I hear what you are saying and I’m afraid it’s true, there is way too much variety of leather in too small a space to take in all at once. Fortunately, either Damon or Alan should be there to guide you to the jacket of your dreams.
I suggest doing a deep dive through their Instagram feed before you go, because (just like Langlitz) some of their best offerings are hidden gems that I’ve only seen on Instagram or here on the lounge.

Yeah I was doing that earlier and found a jacket with the weird Peter’s double eyelet cross-zip front and another jacket with the Peter’s half-belt back. Might go for that combination, since it has an SF heritage to it!

I’d go with side-laces rather than straps, though, and definitely a more vertical upper pocket. I tend to find horizontal/diagonal ones less accessible.

EDIT: Looks like that was a TFL jacket for red devil!

Last edited:

Aloysius

You should definitely drop in, you'll figure out pretty quick what their bread and butter designs are and if not they'll show you. Try stuff on, you never know what may end up resonating with you.

Yep, that was me at Vanson. I’ve never especially been drawn to cafe racers (and still am not) but I spotted a jacket in Octagon hide on the rack and put it on (because of the leather); the fit was so good that I bought it despite being a cafe racer.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Damon is usually there Mon-Sat but leaves a bit early on Thursdays and Saturdays.. Alan has scaled back a little and I believe is only there on Fridays and Saturdays. Either one is a pleasure to work with.
Last time I dealt with Alan he was at the shop on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Now you guys are starting to get me in the mood for a vacation in SF. Never been there any way...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Peter’s

Johnson Del66 0001.JPG

A Peter's inspired jacket made just a few blocks away from its original location on Mission St.

From what I understand, their patterning goes something like this:

50's "Stringer/Johnny" type big body drop (Chest to hem drop bigger than 6")
M-500, Barneveld Remix

20's/30's Slim type (Chest to hem drop about 2")
M-200, M-LEI truckers

40s athletic type body drop (Chest to hem drop about 4")
Del-66, slim fit truckers

Of course the fact that they do custom work would mean you can have any of the different base patterns altered to fit. But once you tried on the different base patterns you'll know which one you'd like best and then go from there. The full custom capability throws things off the rails a bit, in the sense that I could take a slim fit pattern like the M-LEI truckers, go up a size and have it tapered down a size to get that 50's look. Lead time may be long but worth it. The thing I like most about JL is they are open to work with almost all types of leather, and they do a good job, without costing an arm and leg.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Yeah definitely go there and try stuff on, they make it a point to have all of their usual styles in all the sizes in stock to try, in enough leathers to get a good idea. They're really good and helping you hone in too as it can be a bit overwhelming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot