Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I am thinking in having them reproduced these two guys, sadly I am not happy with Vanson's choice of leather to recreate the cycle king.
20221015_161551.jpg

If I'm happy with the results, I will have the later model 1958's cycle champ. The hide is leaning towards HHCXL/SHCLX

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The Johnson CXL Overdye Horsehide that I have is quite stiff and robust. Another member has informed me that his SH CXL is a lot more pliable. They've also got that Masaye horsehide. I still need to see how that one feels like. Will report when I get mine.
These are 23" back lengths riding jackets right?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
The Johnson CXL Overdye Horsehide that I have is quite stiff and robust. Another member has informed me that his SH CXL is a lot more pliable. They've also got that Masaye horsehide. I still need to see how that one feels like. Will report when I get mine.
These are 23" back lengths riding jackets right?

Yes!. Please keep us posted!

Last edited:

John A Koehler

Familiar Face
Here’s my Del-66 in rust suede. I’ve had it for about a year and half, and am still loving it.

Attachments

• 94F1CCCA-B6E2-407D-91A4-9F59CABD80BD.jpeg
    94F1CCCA-B6E2-407D-91A4-9F59CABD80BD.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 980229D4-A466-4541-A063-69F7FC36EEEC.jpeg
    980229D4-A466-4541-A063-69F7FC36EEEC.jpeg
    687 KB · Views: 120
  • 783283AA-C4B4-4C06-83F7-488AA4FF607F.jpeg
    783283AA-C4B4-4C06-83F7-488AA4FF607F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 161

Helix

Familiar Face
Hi Everyone, first post here...I'm fortunate to live in the Bay Area and have been to JL several times in the past few weeks. I've been a customer before, but took a break (mainly because I had enough jackets) but got the itch and went in to check things out. Saw they had some really nice new models including the Del-66 and the revised Barneveld, plus my preferences had changed so thought it was time to jump back in.

I worked mostly with Alan so he is still there doing his thing. He showed me some interesting projects he had in process including this cool piece; a very heavy Barneveld in a bluish leather with blue quilted lining. It looks more grey in the pic but my phone didn't capture the color correctly. Guessing it belongs to someone here? :)

Attachments

• Blue jacket.jpg
    Blue jacket.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 176

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Hi Everyone, first post here...I'm fortunate to live in the Bay Area and have been to JL several times in the past few weeks. I've been a customer before, but took a break (mainly because I had enough jackets) but got the itch and went in to check things out. Saw they had some really nice new models including the Del-66 and the revised Barneveld, plus my preferences had changed so thought it was time to jump back in.

I worked mostly with Alan so he is still there doing his thing. He showed me some interesting projects he had in process including this cool piece; a very heavy Barneveld in a bluish leather with blue quilted lining. It looks more grey in the pic but my phone didn't capture the color correctly. Guessing it belongs to someone here? :)
That would be this CXL fanatic here. That's navy CXL steerhide. Only 3.5oz though. Somehow the steerhide always feels more heft even at the same thickness. It is also easier to wear. It was actually HH (out of all people especially when its JL related) that put me on the path of CXL steer at JL. And I got a chance to check out the CXL steer Schott jacket before this so I was quite sure I wanted steer.
I still love the unpredictable nature of CXL horsehide, steer or goat is easier for everyday wear.
Bay area enthusiasts you guys have it all. The weather and all the interesting shops downtown.

Helix

Familiar Face
I am in the process of finalizing a custom G-1 jacket with Alan. I want it done in the 4+ oz goatskin @Canuck Panda raved about in another thread. Apparently they only have it available in black right now, but I do like black, so might go with it once Alan is back to the shop and sends me some pictures.
I took some samples of the goat leathers JL currently has. The heavy black, and 2 dark brown at 2.75 and 2.5. In the swatch pic, the 2.75 is on the bottom right. It’s about the same thickness as the 2.5 but feels a bit stiffer. The heavy black looks beastly but is actually quite soft. It feels just as pliable as the 2.75.

Attachments

• 2A2668BC-C4B7-4720-923C-19613668ED74.jpeg
    2A2668BC-C4B7-4720-923C-19613668ED74.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 132
  • 67FB19B8-6348-4F23-8D56-87CE49A8136E.jpeg
    67FB19B8-6348-4F23-8D56-87CE49A8136E.jpeg
    985.3 KB · Views: 107

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I am in the process of finalizing a custom G-1 jacket with Alan. I want it done in the 4+ oz goatskin @Canuck Panda raved about in another thread. Apparently they only have it available in black right now, but I do like black, so might go with it once Alan is back to the shop and sends me some pictures.
The 4oz+ goatskin is amazing! I've been wearing mine ever since jacket season started.
IMG_7995.JPG

IMG_7994.JPG

This is not a big jacket, only about 23" ish back length, but weights at least 7lbs. It is wearable no matter cold morning or not. And Johnson patterns are very good you won't feel the weight. Only be surprised when putting on and taking off and when others pick the jacket up, they get a shocking face.

The goatskin grain feels stronger and not spongy like the deer or elk. But the overall hide feels towel soft like the deer / elk hide. This thick one Johnson uses is semi-aniline finish, so not painted like the budget peeling fading ones. Very luxurious hand touch, a lot of heft. The naked hide does pick up nicks and scratches but don't worry about those. Goat is still very strong overall.

The only downside is the color options. Black seems to be the only choice for the thicker stuff. I have one in the brown and a bit lighter. Black is definitely the better of the two. The only reason I go with deer/elk is the color choices. If the heavy goat had those colors it'd be just goat for me.

Totally different leather than the CXL or the Shinki or the Badalassi. The goat is very underrated leather. Especially in the thicker weights. Zero break in needed. Feels stronger than the other leathers at the same thickness. Seems to retain heat better than others, but the same is said about deer and elk. The softer spongier hides seems to be warmer than the stiffer ones for me. And zero maintenance. I think it wins the award for best in wet conditions. I like to collect all different leathers and appreciates them all but the heavy goat is my daily go to. Just easy to wear. G-1 is perfect for this leather. You will not be disappointed with the heavy goat!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A black G-1 with black mouton collar and black knits would look sharp! I say go for it.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
The 4oz+ goatskin is amazing! I've been wearing mine ever since jacket season started.
View attachment 458257
View attachment 458258

Talk about timing, I've been watching alot of Sopranos lately (based in the 90s and aughts), and I've been kicking around the idea of doing a jacket in this style. They don't wear jackets exactly like this in the show, but similar with the shirt collar straight zip but way oversized ala 90s. The one leather jacket I wore through high school and college before I went down this rabbit hole these past few years was the same style.

Your jacket makes me really miss the old 3oz steerhide from my first JL, it looked almost exactly like your goat. I didn't appreciate it enough at the time having gone down the rabbit hole with all the chrome/veg tanned HHs and what not, but now that I'm back out of it I really love how wearable, comfortable it is, has a great feel to the touch, and great track record for practical durability. What was this pattern called again? M500? 100? J100? I'm terrible with alphanumeric titles. Anyway, that and a stock steer or goat may be the next project, just need some time to think about what details I want.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Talk about timing, I've been watching alot of Sopranos lately (based in the 90s and aughts), and I've been kicking around the idea of doing a jacket in this style. They don't wear jackets exactly like this in the show, but similar with the shirt collar straight zip but way oversized ala 90s. The one leather jacket I wore through high school and college before I went down this rabbit hole these past few years was the same style.

Your jacket makes me really miss the old 3oz steerhide from my first JL, it looked almost exactly like your goat. I didn't appreciate it enough at the time having gone down the rabbit hole with all the chrome/veg tanned HHs and what not, but now that I'm back out of it I really love how wearable, comfortable it is, has a great feel to the touch, and great track record for practical durability. What was this pattern called again? M500? 100? J100? I'm terrible with alphanumeric titles. Anyway, that and a stock steer or goat may be the next project, just need some time to think about what details I want.
What episode you on? Or who's the current gumar? I still have the DVD box set stashed somewhere. haha.

90s is back! I too had a leather bomber that I'd always wore then, and it too had a shirt collar not the round one. Good times. No back pains then.

This one doesn't have a number. Just a random name, Barneveld Remix. It comes generously sized like the M500 but straight zipped. If you're down at their store check it out I am sure they've got stock ones to try on there.

Going to pull out my DVD collection now. I just checked my laptop still has a disc player...

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
What episode you on? Or who's the current gumar? I still have the DVD box set stashed somewhere. haha.

90s is back! I too had a leather bomber that I'd always wore then, and it too had a shirt collar not the round one. Good times. No back pains then.

This one doesn't have a number. Just a random name, Barneveld Remix. It comes generously sized like the M500 but straight zipped. If you're down at their store check it out I am sure they've got stock ones to try on there.

Going to pull out my DVD collection now. I just checked my laptop still has a disc player...

I'm only on the second season, great show, becoming one of my favorites.

Yeah, they got a ton of these in their store, just never thought about it since all I was looking at were crosszips and car/chore coats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch