Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes the leather can get a bit thicker than expected. Big thanks to Johnson for doing it! The key hole button machine really only works up to about 3oz maybe a bit more, so a lot of hammering must took place for this cuff to happen. I’ve got a lot of respect for what their shop can do.

f2002q

One of the Regulars
I am in the process of finalizing a custom G-1 jacket with Alan. I want it done in the 4+ oz goatskin @Canuck Panda raved about in another thread. Apparently they only have it available in black right now, but I do like black, so might go with it once Alan is back to the shop and sends me some pictures

Oh my God, 4+ oz. Goatskin G1, I might have to look into that!!!!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Barneveld
Remix

4oz, 4oz, 4oz
5lbs, 6lbs, 7lbs
Sheep, Goat, Cow

Shrunken Sheep
IMG_9282.JPG

Godzilla Goat
IMG_9334.JPG

CXL Cow
IMG_9233.JPG

Side by side by side
IMG_9302.JPG

IMG_9352.JPG

IMG_9254.JPG

Back to Back to Back
IMG_9292.JPG

IMG_9342.JPG

IMG_9240.JPG

I may be a CXL fanatic but heavy goat is my ride and die now...

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Barneveld
Remix

4oz, 4oz, 4oz
5lbs, 6lbs, 7lbs
Sheep, Goat, Cow

Shrunken Sheep
View attachment 461570

Godzilla Goat
View attachment 461571

CXL Cow
View attachment 461572

Side by side by side
View attachment 461573
View attachment 461574
View attachment 461575

Back to Back to Back
View attachment 461576
View attachment 461577
View attachment 461578

They are all super-nice in their own way. Sheep - dinosaur hide. Goat - smoother but heavy. CXL - lots of pullup. Nice triplets, they need to be in one closet, don't separate them!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
They are all super-nice in their own way. Sheep - dinosaur hide. Goat - smoother but heavy. CXL - lots of pullup. Nice triplets, they need to be in one closet, don't separate them!
The triplets needs a baby horse brother...

I don't think he has a closet, I think he has a hangar at this point, lol.
Believe or not every leather jacket I have fits on one wire shelving rack that I got from Costco. I think those wire shelves are rated for up to 800 pounds each shelf. I just hang them on both sides of the shelf and double up and down. There is still a quarter of hanging room left. I am taking a bunch to my local bike gear leather consignment shop soon so things will get lighter too.

What about the goat makes it your ride or die?
The goat ask nothing from me, only gives. It's always wearable. Zero maintenance. The thick goat feels warmer than the CXL - This is subjective, most likely because it's easier to wear than the other leathers at the same thickness.
The only draw back is the semi aniline finish, it seems to pick up scratches easier. But I still prefer the semi aniline finish than the pigment ones. Aniline always felt a bit more premium to me.
I think goatskin is a very underrated leather. It isn't fancy but it feels very solid. We had some heavy rain recently and I never felt wet even though the water started to soaked though. This is why I prefer thicker. It would probably take more than an hour outside before I start to feel the damp and I am never really out side in the heavy rain for more than half hour at the most. The thick goat dried without any issues, no shrinkage nothing. I've had other thinner goatskin that would shrink but these thick ones held up well. I believe they were already shrunken at the tannery to get to the thicker thickness too. Yeah, I am a fan of the heavy goat. I still am a CXL fanatic because nothing has come close to its look and finishing, but goat is where its at for the daily grind, hence my ride and die. Next time you're in their shop, try a thick goat jacket on, same thickness feels lighter and softer than the cow or horse.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
That 4 oz black goat is exactly what I asked for when I contacted JL about a G-1 jacket. Alan currently has one on the sewing machine that we will use for fitting (apparently Damon has almost identical bodyshape to mine so he will stand in and we save on the shipping).

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That 4 oz black goat is exactly what I asked for when I contacted JL about a G-1 jacket. Alan currently has one on the sewing machine that we will use for fitting (apparently Damon has almost identical bodyshape to mine so he will stand in and we save on the shipping).
The thick goat is great stuff. Only in black right now I believe. There were some mid brown ones but no more.

BTW, JL is one of the few shops that properly packs their jackets. With the extra "safety strip" along the cut line so the jacket is safe upon unpacking:

IMG_9058.JPG

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
I totally get what you mean about the goat. My first jacket was their ubiquitous 3oz steer aniline and it was super comfy and felt luxurious to the touch despite how durable it was with a proven track record. Then I went down the rabbit hole and I lost appreciation for it. Now I'm sorta back out now and have gained a ton of appreciation for it.

I'll check it out next time I'm there, but right now I'm loving their steer selection from the analine to their cxl. The cxl may be the compromise I'm after since it has most of the cxl qualities we love but not masochistic. For me I'm a hoody guy 95% of the time, or I wear my old barn coat, so I wear leather when I need to be more stylish, and I'm a sucker for texture and character. But an analine jacket is infinitely more wearable.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I totally get what you mean about the goat. My first jacket was their ubiquitous 3oz steer aniline and it was super comfy and felt luxurious to the touch despite how durable it was with a proven track record. Then I went down the rabbit hole and I lost appreciation for it. Now I'm sorta back out now and have gained a ton of appreciation for it.

I'll check it out next time I'm there, but right now I'm loving their steer selection from the analine to their cxl. The cxl may be the compromise I'm after since it has most of the cxl qualities we love but not masochistic. For me I'm a hoody guy 95% of the time, or I wear my old barn coat, so I wear leather when I need to be more stylish, and I'm a sucker for texture and character. But an analine jacket is infinitely more wearable.
I used to be the hoodie guy. But thought I switch things up a bit this winter. Going with a hat instead of hoodie. Let see how that turns out... First snow coming in a few days so will definitely test things out with the hat combo.

MTS

Familiar Face
Barneveld
Remix

4oz, 4oz, 4oz
5lbs, 6lbs, 7lbs
Sheep, Goat, Cow

Shrunken Sheep
View attachment 461570

Godzilla Goat
View attachment 461571

CXL Cow
View attachment 461572

Side by side by side
View attachment 461573
View attachment 461574
View attachment 461575

Back to Back to Back
View attachment 461576
View attachment 461577
View attachment 461578

Geez, what a trio of great jackets. Congrats on all of those, each nice in its own unique way. Does JL carry that CXL all the time or was that a special request? I need to get in contact with JL again

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Geez, what a trio of great jackets. Congrats on all of those, each nice in its own unique way. Does JL carry that CXL all the time or was that a special request? I need to get in contact with JL again
I think they only stock the black CXL and maybe burgundy, not sure. But they can get just about everything Horween makes, depending on batch availability.
They have some super thick black shrunken horse (that obviously needed a thin down to make jackets) and navy Essex steer ight now.

Reactions: MTS

ojaw

A-List Customer
I think they only stock the black CXL and maybe burgundy, not sure. But they can get just about everything Horween makes, depending on batch availability.
They have some super thick black shrunken horse (that obviously needed a thin down to make jackets) and navy Essex steer ight now.
Not being in the SF area, how does one even get a Johnson jacket these days? I’ve been “tuning in” for a few years now to their Shopify…

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Not being in the SF area, how does one even get a Johnson jacket these days? I’ve been “tuning in” for a few years now to their Shopify…
Just send them an eMail? Their website is partially working, so once you spec out a jacket with them via mail, you get a paypal invoice link via their website to pay. That‘s how it worked for me the last two times anyway.

They should really get some standard models up on the website though, for the people who are not as aquainted with their work and styles they offer though.. with a current 7 week wait time, they apparently still get enough business regardless..

I just put down a deposit for the all spec‘d out 4 oz goatskin G-1, the wait begins.. :D

ojaw

A-List Customer
Just send them an eMail? Their website is partially working, so once you spec out a jacket with them via mail, you get a paypal invoice link via their website to pay. That‘s how it worked for me the last two times anyway.

They should really get some standard models up on the website though, for the people who are not as aquainted with their work and styles they offer though.. with a current 7 week wait time, they apparently still get enough business regardless..

I just put down a deposit for the all spec‘d out 4 oz goatskin G-1, the wait begins.. :D
Yeah, that’s the thing; I’ve no idea what models they offer, no sizing tables (though to be honest most makers are shite when it comes to that) and no prices.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Does anyone here have experience with their version of the J100?

I’m kicking around the idea of getting something in this style for next winter and the degree of customization and strong patterns with movement range of JL is very appealing, but it’s not a style I’ve seen them do a lot of.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm