Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm going to be in the area for work so I think I might finally do a Johnson order.

My thinking is the best thing would be to use a west coast design, especially one of their own. I'm thinking the WWL.

Seank

A-List Customer
I have 3 jackets from JL… and a 4th will be in the works soon. I have been very happy with their process and their customer service. Their mock up jacket takes the guess work out of the fit and the results have been just about perfect every time. It’s a true custom fit, not just a change to sleeve and body length. When I did have an issue once with a sleeve measurement on the finished jacket they easily took it back and quickly made the alteration at no additional cost. Came out perfect. I have been slowly selling off my collection of “close but just not quite right” jackets I have collected over the years and have been replacing them with JL jackets. If you don’t like the leather options you can also source your own and send it to them and they’ll use it which I have also done. Couldn’t recommend these guys more!

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Concur. This jacket will be my third from them and couldn't be happier with the previous two.
But I would have to caution people about the mock jacket as it is just a canvas fit jacket and the finished product will definitely fit a bit differently. So when ordering and adjusting your measurements, keep that in mind and discuss it with Alan or Damon, they both are very helpful.

Helix

Familiar Face
Took a field trip to JL a couple of weeks ago and saw some cool leathers on display: Suede Type III, light gray lamb, camo cowhide, Indigo deer, and a really nice bluish grey essex leather (this color was hard to capture accurately). Cheers to anyone who can pull off that camo cross zip

Attachments

• Camo.jpg
    Camo.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Suede.jpg
    Suede.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Lamb.jpg
    Lamb.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Grizz.jpg
    Grizz.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Essex.jpg
    Essex.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Deer.jpg
    Deer.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 138

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Received the Cossack variant I ordered from JL in CXL HH. It is quite stiff will require some break in time. Fit pictures to follow.

Attachments

• image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 92
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    797.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    960.1 KB · Views: 106
  • image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 114

Helix

Familiar Face
Received the Cossack variant I ordered from JL in CXL HH. It is quite stiff will require some break in time. Fit pictures to follow.
Very nice! Is that it's own pattern or based off something else?

Was it an extra charge to do the front buttons?

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Very nice! Is that it's own pattern or based off something else?

Was it an extra charge to do the front buttons?
It's based on the classic Cossack with my own modifications, shirt type collar, hand warmer pockets and chest pocket. No extra charge for buttons. A wool lining would have been extra charge.

Aloysius

Visited Johnson today and I was blown away.

@red devil Alan mentioned you and your cool designs!

I got measured up and placed my order but I realized right after I left (had to catch a movie) that I forgot a detail I had meant to add. Now I'm wondering if this gives me a bit of extra space to decide.

It was a quilted model that caught my interest about their CHP in the first place, but I forgot to specify quilting.
290796394_1482763818821526_7832317899167685063_n.jpg
However I ordered the jacket in the shrunken horsehide (see sleeve of this grizzly) which has this amazing and unusual grain pattern that seems like it might make quilting too busy.

img_2948-jpg.593725
(H/t @Canuck Panda for the photo.)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

I got measured up and placed my order but I realized right after I left (had to catch a movie) that I forgot a detail I had meant to add. Now I'm wondering if this gives me a bit of extra space to decide.

It was a quilted model that caught my interest about their CHP in the first place, but I forgot to specify quilting.
View attachment 597173 However I ordered the jacket in the shrunken horsehide (see sleeve of this grizzly) which has this amazing and unusual grain pattern that seems like it might make quilting too busy.

img_2948-jpg.593725
I think that padded CHP jacket might belong to the OP of this thread but I am not sure.

Anyways, JL can do two different types of quilting, one is from underneath (left) and one is patch on (right),
IMG_8165.jpg

And I would also think the shrunken horse might look too busy with the quilting. Maybe with the smoother phantom black horsehide quilted patch for that tone on tone but different texture look? Or delete quilting or go to a different hide? I don't know, that's something to think about. Here is @X83 jacket with the burgundy CXL quilted patch on phantom black jacket, he posted it in the daily wear thread I am borrowing his pics,
IMG_1043.jpeg

Which X-zip base pattern are you building your custom jacket from? The M500 or the WWL-41 (like the one above)?

red devil

View attachment 597173 However I ordered the jacket in the shrunken horsehide (see sleeve of this grizzly) which has this amazing and unusual grain pattern that seems like it might make quilting too busy.

img_2948-jpg.593725

Alan is great! I am lucky to be able to work with him :D

Do you have another pic of the shrunken horse? It is not appearing on any of my devices

Aloysius

Alan is great! I am lucky to be able to work with him :D

Do you have another pic of the shrunken horse? It is not appearing on any of my devices

I might on my camera. I got the last batch though!

@Canuck Panda my second favourite hide at the shop was the standard price cow with a smooth finish. Beautiful look and temper. I would highly recommend that if you’re looking for a solid black jacket.

red devil

I might on my camera. I got the last batch though!

@Canuck Panda my second favourite hide at the shop was the standard price cow with a smooth finish. Beautiful look and temper. I would highly recommend that if you’re looking for a solid black jacket.

Thanks, just curious to see the grain and imagine it with the quilting.

cbez

One Too Many

img_2948-jpg.593725
very cool leather

X83

One of the Regulars
Here is what I gotta say about JL. First they are a small shop so don't expect the same Aero's army of customer service and production lead time. But they will always answer. And the things they can do other makers simply cannot. They have been able to put together every single possible leather I've thrown at them, from thin to thick, from soft to hard, with great results. If they can't do something they'll let you know up front. Once it's decided, it's just waiting for it to get made.
Stock patterns will get much faster lead times than custom patterns. Again they are small shop and just have one person doing the pattern. And most people go there for custom jackets, so the line is long. The money is in the patterns in JL jackets. Once you put it on you will see the difference.
My incoming JL Barneveld Remix, in 4.5oz shrunken sheepskin. This leather is very hard to work with, stretchy af. But they did it.
View attachment 457298
Oooooo my lord

cbez

One Too Many
thats a killer jacket and needs to be seen more

I have a sport coat coming second hand, looked very interesting with some nice striations on the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner