Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

fasthall

New in Town
First time ordering a Johnson. Planning the second and third one already...
XT5F8236.jpg
XT5F8992.jpg

Last edited:

steelbahamut

Familiar Face
Just arrived. KDL-72 size 44 custom cuff and waist band. Heavyweight CXL Steerhide. 2mm variation in pocket top stitching between the two sides. Honestly, I am ok with it, from any maker, in this thickness leather. This one is gonna take a while to break in. A side note about JL's custom capability is that they can split down the leather either the whole hide or individual panels. The OP told me this from his first hand experience. And is the case on some of my builds as the action pleats or underarm panels works better in thinner thickness while the outside shell panels are full on thicker weights. I am back in the heavy weight game, thanks to Steelbahama's 6oz jacket. And I was also inspired by MrFrowns Langlizt, so the quilted elbows. And the pocket top stitching I got from a Star Glove jacket and also a Himel jacket had this detail. Big shout out to JL for another grail. Thanks for reading and now pics,

View attachment 612382
View attachment 612383
View attachment 612384
View attachment 612385
View attachment 612386
View attachment 612387
Amazing! How much does that thing weigh?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cool! looks great!

As a few of us keep pointing out, the standard/unnamed house leathers at good makers are going to be as good as if not better than most tanneries we know as a brand or something. They won't put something subpart in that besmirches their reputation.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As a few of us keep pointing out, the standard/unnamed house leathers at good makers are going to be as good as if not better than most tanneries we know as a brand or something. They won't put something subpart in that besmirches their reputation.

Exactly, do not fall for the brand game.

I always found it ironic that people came here looking for something beyond mall jackets or fashion jackets only to fall for the same branding trick again.

Observe

One Too Many

I always found it ironic that people came here looking for something beyond mall jackets or fashion jackets only to fall for the same branding trick again.
Astute observation and something for which I have unwittingly fallen victim on occasion.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family

Totally, but I'd caveat by saying that I think we all fell into the Horweens and Shinkis of the world with good reason: they look awesome. I mean the smell alone makes me want them. But the reality, especially with CXL, is that they're just not comfortable, so unless your lifestyle forces you to wear them in all day to properly break them in, they're just not comfortable garments. Technology has definitely gotten better, and there are supple cowhides like JL's excellent naked cowhide that functions as well as anything in the past while being wearable on day one.

For me, I had to think about it long and hard but ultimately unloaded my CXL jacket because i just didn't wear it. I now have more of an appreciation for the stock leathers because of their functionality. End of the day, they look great, and except to discerning enthusiasts, a stock leather looks like quality leather indistinguishable from the name brand stuff. CXL was never really meant for garments to begin with...

Same thing sorta happens with things like jeans, boots, etc. I hate wearing leather boots, whoever says they're comfortable has never worn a proper fitting pair of running shoes, or at least combat boots for that matter. Literally feels like I owe the mafia money and they're about to throw me into the ocean when I wear boots.

I'll save the self torture for things like self improvement/gym, I don't need my clothes helping me to build character, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael