Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JOHNSON LEATHERS IN SAN FRANCISO STATUS?

Turpin

Familiar Face
Does anyone here know about the status of Johnson Leathers in San Francisco? Their website that use to be johnsonleathers.com now redirects to the myShopify page pictured below that has shown as “updating” for a long while.
Are they still open and in business? I haven’t visited the store in SF for many years. Alan, who I think owned the business, helped me by phone in the past when I needed fixes or alterations to leather clothing by mail. The most recent post here with info was when the store reopened after a fire back in 2018. Does anyone know the story? Thanks, Steve

IMG_4068.jpeg

Peacoat

Bartender
Alan is a member here. I would have thought he would have seen this thread by now. Last I talked to him, he had retired and moved back to NOLA but was still working some.

As others have said, give them a call. They would rather take care business over the phone.

Does anyone here know about the status of Johnson Leathers in San Francisco? Their website that use to be johnsonleathers.com now redirects to the myShopify page pictured below that has shown as “updating” for a long while.
Are they still open and in business? I haven’t visited the store in SF for many years. Alan, who I think owned the business, helped me by phone in the past when I needed fixes or alterations to leather clothing by mail. The most recent post here with info was when the store reopened after a fire back in 2018. Does anyone know the story? Thanks, Steve

View attachment 562444
HI,

Yes, I'm still working a few days a week. Only simi retired as I still love what I do. If you have any questions, please call us at 415-775-7393. I am in on Tuesday's and Saturday's. We are almost ready to launch our new website very soon. You can also check us out on Instagram.

Regards,

Alan

Nacho

Practically Family
HI,

Yes, I'm still working a few days a week. Only simi retired as I still love what I do. If you have any questions, please call us at 415-775-7393. I am in on Tuesday's and Saturday's. We are almost ready to launch our new website very soon. You can also check us out on Instagram.

Regards,

Alan

Hi Alan.

Mind if I ask whether or not you guys repair wool jackets as well besides leathers?

Thanks, Alan.

tuanhng614

Familiar Face
nice, do you know what jacket is this one and what leather?

View attachment 562729

Haha, you have really good eye there.

That jacket is MHB-500 in cowhide. That the model they used to make for a brand in Japan. They don’t have that leather in stock now but could order it again.

And while at the shop, I saw this jacket that the hide is very interesting. It’s horsehide that shows all the scars and scratches and imperfections in its life. It looks very similar to CF Stead Kudu hide, but a lot thicker.

1700677593607.jpeg

1700677624901.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Why does the Japan market
Haha, you have really good eye there.

That jacket is MHB-500 in cowhide. That the model they used to make for a brand in Japan. They don’t have that leather in stock now but could order it again.

And while at the shop, I saw this jacket that the hide is very interesting. It’s horsehide that shows all the scars and scratches and imperfections in its life. It looks very similar to CF Stead Kudu hide, but a lot thicker.

View attachment 562876

View attachment 562877
always get the nicer stuff!

The Type 3 is really nice. That's the thick Horween natural horsehide, it will evolve quite a bit into golden honey and darker brown.

They got any Black Friday deals?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I always think the same thing! And at 6’1” and 205 pounds I know that none of it will fit me either.
But it's JL, I am sure they can grade up the pattern to western sizes! That jacket on the mannequin is not big for sure but it stood out from the crowd immediately for me.

tuanhng614

Familiar Face
Why does the Japan market

always get the nicer stuff!

The Type 3 is really nice. That's the thick Horween natural horsehide, it will evolve quite a bit into golden honey and darker brown.

They got any Black Friday deals?
Yea, that’s a good question to ask every leather jacket maker. I asked Damon about their business structure and he said that they still do wholesale for some brands in Japan. However, a majority of their business is still in retails.

That Type 3 was size 38, so it’s a bit large for me, but I feel that their pattern is really good. It didn’t bunch up in the back even on a larger size. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, haha) they didn’t have size 36 of that jacket.

And no, I didn’t see any Black Friday sale when I was there. I was hoping that I could score something off their rack on the Black Friday deals as well haha.

On the other hand, they do have a sale rack in the corner that labeled 40-50% off. Again, only one jacket in size 36 that I could tried on. For size that I cannot fit in, I just handle on the different types of leather, which was a great experience.

And as I’m typing up this response, my IG notification just popped up that JL now have Black Friday sale oh well, it just means that I get to enjoy wearing the heck out of the Shinki JL jacket for a longer time.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yea, that’s a good question to ask every leather jacket maker. I asked Damon about their business structure and he said that they still do wholesale for some brands in Japan. However, a majority of their business is still in retails.

That Type 3 was size 38, so it’s a bit large for me, but I feel that their pattern is really good. It didn’t bunch up in the back even on a larger size. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, haha) they didn’t have size 36 of that jacket.

And no, I didn’t see any Black Friday sale when I was there. I was hoping that I could score something off their rack on the Black Friday deals as well haha.

On the other hand, they do have a sale rack in the corner that labeled 40-50% off. Again, only one jacket in size 36 that I could tried on. For size that I cannot fit in, I just handle on the different types of leather, which was a great experience.

And as I’m typing up this response, my IG notification just popped up that JL now have Black Friday sale oh well, it just means that I get to enjoy wearing the heck out of the Shinki JL jacket for a longer time.
JL pattern has great mobility. It was good that you got to try on jackets in store. This took time and effort but it will help nail the fits for your custom jacket.

Nacho

Practically Family
Hi,
Yes, depending on the type of repair. Just call us and I will let you know at 415-775-7393.
Regards,
Alan

Thanks Alan.

I’ve got an order with you guys. And it was supposed to be done by November 14th. But last Friday Damon emailed me that you guys were backed up and he was sick. He said that the jacket would be done this Wednesday. Yet I haven’t heard from him yet. I figured that you are probably busy with the Black Friday sale.

Would you mind if I send you a DM via Instagram to check on the status?

Thanks Alan.

I’ve got an order with you guys. And it was supposed to be done by November 14th. But last Friday Damon emailed me that you guys were backed up and he was sick. He said that the jacket would be done this Wednesday. Yet I haven’t heard from him yet. I figured that you are probably busy with the Black Friday sale.

Would you mind if I send you a DM via Instagram to check on the status?
Yes, send us a DM via Instagram.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner