Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status of Thedi Leathers?

Certainly not giving Thedi a pass on the customer service provided in this instance, but I think you could pretty much insert any of the custom makers names here. At some point, they’ve pretty much all been written about.

Absolutely. I think that in this case, the fact that Thedi by almost all accounts is a gent and pleasure, adds to the OP’s confusion. I’d be scratching my head at the Houdini act too. lol.

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
When I went through Thurston for my Thedi and asked Carrie for an update, she mentioned that it sometimes takes a long time for even her to get updates from Theo. However, he has a proven track record of delivering even if things may take longer than expected. It does seem as though he is going above and beyond in making the OP happy with his product even if communication is less than to be desired.

newtojackets

Practically Family
I can only imagine the agony makers must feel having to make custom jackets for people who don't know how to size themselves. I almost think there should be some kind of qualification exam to place a custom order. No offense to the OP but it seems you weren't able to get it right in two attempts? If I were Thedi or any other maker I wouldn't prioritize your request. I completely understand being frustrated with a lack of comms but man....at a certain point, I think you should've just left it alone or tried harder to source the alteration elsewhere.
Don’t think this is fair to OP. He acknowledged it was his mistake and just wanted alterations. He said he doesn’t expect anything for free and is willing to pay for it.

It is not unreasonable to expect an update within 8 months, regardless of how many remakes (especially as op said he would pay for any alterations)

Don’t think this is fair to OP. He acknowledged it was his mistake and just wanted alterations. He said he doesn’t expect anything for free and is willing to pay for it.

It is not unreasonable to expect an update within 8 months, regardless of how many remakes (especially as op said he would pay for any alterations)
At a certain point, the alterations are up to customer and not the responsibility of the maker. That’s why I feel he should’ve pursed them elsewhere. The hobby is littered with customers brow beating makers with 100 emails, requests for tweaks, etc. It slows the process down for everyone. It’s mainly folks new to the hobby who haven’t taken the time and effort to answer their own questions.

newtojackets

Practically Family
At a certain point, the alterations are up to customer and not the responsibility of the maker. That’s why I feel he should’ve pursed them elsewhere. The hobby is littered with customers brow beating makers with 100 emails, requests for tweaks, etc. It slows the process down for everyone. It’s mainly folks new to the hobby who haven’t taken the time and effort to answer their own questions.
I agree that alterations are up to the customer. However, Thedi voluntarily agreed to doing it, after which a maker should have responsibility for communication. Had the company just turned down the alteration, I would have not blamed then

I agree that alterations are up to the customer. However, Thedi voluntarily agreed to doing it, after which a maker should have responsibility for communication. Had the company just turned down the alteration, I would have not blamed then
I agree and if the attitude is “I’ll get to it when I get to it” then the OP doesn’t really have anyone to blame for the slow process. An email to that effect may have pushed him to look for the alterations elsewhere or not at all. I’m not defending poor communication but I can see where this would get thrown on an “at some point” pile.

newtojackets

Practically Family
I agree and if the attitude is “I’ll get to it when I get to it” then the OP doesn’t really have anyone to blame for the slow process. An email to that effect may have pushed him to look for the alterations elsewhere or not at all. I’m not defending poor communication but I can see where this would get thrown on an “at some point” pile.
Agreed there. Totally understand deprioritizing it, but some communication would be very useful

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Hi everyone. I lurk here and read all the excellent info and advice on leather. This is my first post so I ask for forgiveness if I break any rules. I don't think I have.

I wanted to ask if anyone has had any contact with Theodoros of Thedi Leathers lately, and if they are still in business? I cannot get anyone to respond to me despite multiple mails.

I purchased a jacket from Thedi in Feb 2022. When it arrived I could not raise my arms forward more than 45° from arms at side. That jacket didn't fit, so went back to Thedi. 4 or 5 months later in Oct 2023 I got a new jacket, and chest and arms were fine but body was very boxy. I thought the jacket would work if I wore it with layers. I told Theodoros it was fine.

Fast forward to Feb of this year (2023) and I decided I would get the body taken in so the fit would be perfect. Local tailors all understood how to do the alterations but I could not find anyone with a machine that could go through the horse hide. Nobody could do the work and the jacket would have to be sent abroad for alteration.

So instead I decided to contact Theodoros and arranged to return the jacket to him. I offered to pay for the alterations at whatever fee he wanted. I paid to ship the jacket back to Greece. He received it at end of Feb 2023. I was expecting just an alteration on the body, and I took more photos and sent measurements to show what was too big and what I was wanting done. Theodoros said the job was simple in principle but it would be easier to make a new jacket, which he would do because he felt he must. I was appreciative of his commitment but didn't / don't expect anything for free.

Anyway, fast forward to end Sept/Oct and I reached out to him asking for an update. I hadn't heard anything since he received the jacket in Feb. I've written four mails since then, about one a week, asking for an update on the status of the jacket. And I cannot get any reply. Even to tell me it isn't ready. So I was concerned something may have happened to the company, or that the order had been forgotten. I know Thedi is a busy vendor and things take time, but it's nearly been 8 months.

Hence I thought I would ask if anyone has any info they can share or has been in contact with Theodoros. At this point I would like to conclude our business, either with a jacket or with a refund. But this will require some communication first. Hoping someone can help with that.
Alive and well. Just got a new wallet from him yesterday.

Slow communication, but exceptional craftsmanship.

Attachments

• IMG_5923.jpeg
    IMG_5923.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5918.jpeg
    IMG_5918.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5919.jpeg
    IMG_5919.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 45

Sionnach

New in Town
OP here. It's kind of amazing. I thought this thread was dead back in Oct 2023. When everyone was telling me not to worry, everything was okay. Because the maker is great and honest and surely would make good on it soon. So I did not see any of the subsequent discussions up to now.

The TL;DR of this story is that I still do not have a jacket. I had one email from Theodoros in Nov promising to do the work, with pictures of the actions he would take, then nothing. It is 2 years now since I placed the first order (Feb 2022). And it is 1 year since the jacket was returned to Thedi, at his agreement and at my expense. He now has both my jacket and my money.

@ton312 Respectfully, you jumped to the conclusion that I just cannot measure myself. Then built an entire rationalisation about how because of that, I deserve to wait, what is I guess, an indefinite amount of time. This is unjustified. I actually can measure myself--I've ordered 2 jackets from Five Star since then, both of which fit. Jackets that were ordered largely with advice I gleamed from listening to what others said in this forum. In both of those cases I had no problem either with communications or with getting a product that met the requirements of my measurements.

Further, I did take the jacket to local sources for alteration before going back to Thedi. We have a master tailor who listened to me and told me the problem I described with the first jacket, about not being able to raise my arms above 45deg to the front was because the front wasn't long enough. He looked at the jacket, showed me exactly where to take it in, and remeasured me. Ultimately he couldn't take the jacket because he doesn't have a machine capable to work on that horsehide. That was my ultimate problem--no resources I could find in my entire country who could alter a jacket.

It's also why I offered to pay Theodoros whatever he asked to do the job--because who better to perform an alteration than the original maker.

Which makes all the things stated about the pain of the makers a moot point. Theodoros didn't have to take the jacket back--as was rightfully pointed out. And he volunteered to do the work. Which I gratefully appreciated.

I would also like to remark that I am not a Karen customer. I do not bombard with emails, do not make demands, and do not take a disrespectful tone. Back in Oct/Nov, I would write 1 email a week. Polite, understanding, tone. Not making any demand for when the jacket should be done, but just asking (begging tbh) for communications with me. And after Nov, when Thedi did reply, I stopped writing and waited. In 2024, I've written 2 emails, to both Thedi addresses, and received no further reply. I see on Insta (which I don't have but can check), that Theodoros is travelling and premiering new jackets. I know he is working.

For everyone else--at this point I'm not sure I even want a jacket. This has been one of the worst retail experiences of my life. He has both my money and jacket and I have no idea if I'll ever get anything back. If Thedi offered a refund I'd take it.

But I don't necessarily want for this to end with a confrontation or a defeat. I am willing to explore other options with him. The original jacket was a Cossack flying jacket. I took a chance on it--usually I prefer motorcycle jackets. If, for example, Theodoros wanted to work on a traditional d-pocket jacket with me instead of remaking another Cossack, I would be fine to do that, even if it required more time or money.

I know that might seem weird given my experience--but I'm well past the point now where getting another Cossack would come with any sense of joy. I would just be relieved that the saga was over. And that's not what I want for a custom piece in my closet. Conversely, I don't want Theodoros to feel he lost, or to make something he would (and seemingly is) loathe to do. If another option would create a win-win, that would be good.

I just honestly want something to happen. Something I can trust, to close this out.

Finally, sorry for a wall of text--I've just been sitting with this for months and I'm just catching up to all the back and forth that continued after I thought the thread dead.

Last edited:

Squirrel_hero

Familiar Face
Definitely not the experience I want to hear someone had from my favorite maker.. hopefully he just refunds you at this point. especially if he has the jacket he created for you.. I definitely understand your frustration.. I would be too especially with the lack of replies.. he definitely is busy because he has not even had a second to take a deposit for a new jacket from me.. Hopefully it’s just one of those crazy times of the year and he fixes or refunds you when he slows down. Sorry you experienced this.

mumpy

A-List Customer
OP here. It's kind of amazing. I thought this thread was dead back in Oct 2023. When everyone was telling me not to worry, everything was okay. Because the maker is great and honest and surely would make good on it soon. So I did not see any of the subsequent discussions up to now.

The TL;DR of this story is that I still do not have a jacket. I had one email from Theodoros in Nov promising to do the work, with pictures of the actions he would take, then nothing. It is 2 years now since I placed the first order (Feb 2022). And it is 1 year since the jacket was returned to Thedi, at his agreement and at my expense. He now has both my jacket and my money.

@ton312 Respectfully, you jumped to the conclusion that I just cannot measure myself. Then built an entire rationalisation about how because of that, I deserve to wait, what is I guess, an indefinite amount of time. This is unjustified. I actually can measure myself--I've ordered 2 jackets from Five Star since then, both of which fit. Jackets that were ordered largely with advice I gleamed from listening to what others said in this forum. In both of those cases I had no problem either with communications or with getting a product that met the requirements of my measurements.

Further, I did take the jacket to local sources for alteration before going back to Thedi. We have a master tailor who listened to me and told me the problem I described with the first jacket, about not being able to raise my arms above 45deg to the front was because the front wasn't long enough. He looked at the jacket, showed me exactly where to take it in, and remeasured me. Ultimately he couldn't take the jacket because he doesn't have a machine capable to work on that horsehide. That was my ultimate problem--no resources I could find in my entire country who could alter a jacket.

It's also why I offered to pay Theodoros whatever he asked to do the job--because who better to perform an alteration than the original maker.

Which makes all the things stated about the pain of the makers a moot point. Theodoros didn't have to take the jacket back--as was rightfully pointed out. And he volunteered to do the work. Which I gratefully appreciated.

I would also like to remark that I am not a Karen customer. I do not bombard with emails, do not make demands, and do not take a disrespectful tone. Back in Oct/Nov, I would write 1 email a week. Polite, understanding, tone. Not making any demand for when the jacket should be done, but just asking (begging tbh) for communications with me. And after Nov, when Thedi did reply, I stopped writing and waited. In 2024, I've written 2 emails, to both Thedi addresses, and received no further reply. I see on Insta (which I don't have but can check), that Theodoros is travelling and premiering new jackets. I know he is working.

For everyone else--at this point I'm not sure I even want a jacket. This has been one of the worst retail experiences of my life. He has both my money and jacket and I have no idea if I'll ever get anything back. If Thedi offered a refund I'd take it.

But I don't necessarily want for this to end with a confrontation or a defeat. I am willing to explore other options with him. The original jacket was a Cossack flying jacket. I took a chance on it--usually I prefer motorcycle jackets. If, for example, Theodoros wanted to work on a traditional d-pocket jacket with me instead of remaking another Cossack, I would be fine to do that, even if it required more time or money.

I know that might seem weird given my experience--but I'm well past the point now where getting another Cossack would come with any sense of joy. I would just be relieved that the saga was over. And that's not what I want for a custom piece in my closet. Conversely, I don't want Theodoros to feel he lost, or to make something he would (and seemingly is) loathe to do. If another option would create a win-win, that would be good.

I just honestly want something to happen. Something I can trust, to close this out.

Finally, sorry for a wall of text--I've just been sitting with this for months and I'm just catching up to all the back and forth that continued after I thought the thread dead.
You are too kind and you don’t have to explain yourself. Ask for a refund, this is ridiculous (and I am saying this as someone who loves Thedi jackets and have gone through this process myself).

This whole idea that these people are artisans and can’t deal with customers is completely ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner