Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leathers

Good light for seeing the CXL overdye's color.
IMG_8076.JPG

IMG_8077.JPG

IMG_8078.JPG

IMG_8079.JPG

Peacoat

Bartender
Another good result from Johnson. You did well. I'm glad the skinny white coat hanger broke. You need to get some coat hangers that are 2" to 3" at the shoulder. Or make them out of a regular wooden hanger and water pipe insulation.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Beautiful jacket! I'm thinking more of Johnson for my next jacket. Local to me, which is good, as I am getting "sizing shy" with these long distance deals.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
WHat differences do you notice between the leather in your JL jacket and that used by Aero? The surface does look smoother to me but what else?

WHat differences do you notice between the leather in your JL jacket and that used by Aero? The surface does look smoother to me but what else?
Compared to the CXL Steer Cordovan it's Slightly heavier and does indeed show less grain right out of the box. It's very stiff initially but is losing that initial stiffness quickly, especially in the sleeves which feel very supple in about a week of wear.
The way the topcoat is applied is different to. Doesn't have the same pull up, 3D color as the cordovan does but seems more like the underlying brown will bleed through, slowly with wear and use.
Retains that absolutely intoxicating trademark scent. I'm really impressed with the stuff. It'll be interesting to see how much it browns up.

Just wanted to update this thread and give Alan and the crew at Johnson Leathers the additional bit of praise they deserve. I sent this jacket back in early March to have the detachable mouton collar added and have the sleeves reclined with a quilted liner and trimmed by 1". It came out spectacularly and as you can see from the photos the brown is really starting to come thru. I really can't say enough good things about Johnson leathers. They offer best in class customer service and in over a decade of collecting it's the single nicest jacket I've ever handled.
IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
The Vanson America jacket was supposed to be my exit piece... but man... your jacket makes me want another Johnson. Either in this 4 oz overdye or 4 oz bison in that glorious redwood color!

The Vanson America jacket was supposed to be my exit piece... but man... your jacket makes me want another Johnson. Either in this 4 oz overdye or 4 oz bison in that glorious redwood color!
This was to be my exit piece. And it should've well been. If I do another jacket it will certainly be from JL.

Montero

New in Town
So they don't have overdye anymore? I'd get that exact jacket if they did.

I spoke to Alan about a month ago and he had received a small batch of the Horween overdye steerhide, he said just enough for about 3-4 jackets. I think he mentioned 2 were in the pipeline already so it may all be allocated but it might be worth asking if there is any left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav