Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Join Me in Heresy

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think the issue Navertsea is that one person's trim is another's tight fit. It's such a personal thing. I have to say I like the look of a trimmer jacket but I once had a half-belt that fitted perfect in photos that was simply too tight and uncomfortable to enjoy. Sometimes what feels good looks not so much:eek:.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
to me trim is optical illusion Seb, when the body of your jacket is waisted it gives illusion of trimmer figure, but not necessarily tight fitting.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Very easy: have a bunch of jackets with different fits for different weathers. Will say, though, that back in the day I owned an over-sized one that I wore for years. Ultimately, it was unwieldy and became a pain to wear and carry around.
Heavy jackets that are oversized are hard on the shoulders - it's like carrying a backpack. It's one thing to size up to accommodate a jumper, but that's as far as I go!

Stlawrence

New in Town
I live in south Florida and ride so most of my jackets are tight/slim fitted. T-shirt and that is all I need or want. The style and purpose of the jacket do matter.

Quite right, JMax. Riding leathers are a whole different issue. Only one who has been beat to death by a flapping collar for eight hours on a motorcycle can appreciate how the little things matter. It doesn't feel like much at the start - it's just the collar flicking my face - but by the sixth or eighth hour, you're ready to confess to the Lindberg kidnapping.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
As a runner and a running coach, it's all about layering to me. We each have a "micro-climate," in which we exude body heat and perspiration. The trick is to trap the body heat in layers between the body and the environment, while wicking the moisture away from the body.

In sub-freezing temperatures, I can be quite comfortable wearing a thin Merino 150 wool base layer or an Under Armour Coldgear mock turtleneck, a synthetic long-sleeve running shirt (like Nike's Dri-FIT) middle layer, and a lightweight wind- and water-resistant jacket. Add SmartWool socks, gloves and a beanie hat, and I'm good to go.

The only form-fitting items above are those that cover the extremities (socks, gloves, hat). The rest work to keep heat in and moisture out. That's the ticket for me!

I think a proper fitting jacket allows for both and still looks good. Too tight is awful. I've had many. Too loose is equally unflattering. I try to find a fit that allows for a thin layer or just a tshirt and still looks good. It's not easy.
Should be said too that some styles are designed to accommodate heavy layers where some are not. The fit on a barnstormer vs. a CR shouldn't and won't be the same in the same size paradigm.

I have also said that the battle cry of a person who refuses to admit the jacket is too large is echoed in "room to layer". Either the style is designed for that or it is not. At least that's my approach.

Agreed.

With every jacket in a correct size that I had, layering made zero difference and it fit equally well regardless of what I'd wear underneath. Jackets that I could infinitely layer under all found a new home. Same as the jackets I had trouble zipping up over a T-shirt.

pak

One of the Regulars
I think the medium of leather in jackets will highlight a good or bad fit more than most other fabrics. Perhaps because leather is a bit more formal than say a North Face fleece jacket. Of the jackets I own, a couple are leather and are my favorite to own and others are fabric are my favorite to wear. Go figure

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Eternal thread :)
Everything is very individual, and is determined only by the convenience and preferences of each individually.

I like trim fit.

The winter weather in my country is so cold that it requires normal warm clothes. Flight leather jackets are jackets for summer, with a T-shirt.

breezer

Practically Family
I have 2 N1's - roughly speaking one is an M and the other is an L. The L is very comfortable - I can lair as much as I please and I will be toasty warm. The M is less comfortable, but by golly it looks great!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
to me trim is optical illusion Seb, when the body of your jacket is waisted it gives illusion of trimmer figure, but not necessarily tight fitting.

Interesting, when I'm wasted I have the illusion of having a trim figure so you may be onto something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner